Peep-o-Day, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a tax-'n'-spend librul, may I just say that I think every bottle of lolly water should have a $50 tax on it? It can be called the Stupidity Tax. I'm all for all kinds of Stupidity Taxes, really.

I think Fawlty Towers is the single best TV show ever made. I have no idea how anything is meant to top it, and the scene in your avatar is my favourite scene from anything, ever. Though as far as overall episodes go, I'll take Communication Problems and The Germans over Gourmet Night these days. If I may say so myself, I'm pretty good at doing the "you can see the sea" scene.

Really, the only shows even vaguely close to Fawlty's quality are Blackadder (as long as we forget the first series) and Black Books.

I think it's just about the best show ever too, although I'd put it about equal to some other favourites, like the Goodies, Father Ted, Python (series), The Day Today, Brass Eye, Police Squad! and Arrested Development... and other stuff I'm forgetting.

I think Fawlty Towers is the single best TV show ever made. I have no idea how anything is meant to top it, and the scene in your avatar is my favourite scene from anything, ever. Though as far as overall episodes go, I'll take Communication Problems and The Germans over Gourmet Night these days. If I may say so myself, I'm pretty good at doing the "you can see the sea" scene.

Really, the only shows even vaguely close to Fawlty's quality are Blackadder (as long as we forget the first series) and Black Books.

What I think is doubly mind boggling is that if you compare that comedy to the comedy of now, which produces shows like The Wedge and Comedy Inc., you would think we've all got the mental capacity of two year olds. No fart jokes in Fawlty Towers. No scatological humour in the best stuff.

And yeah, I almost died of laughter at that scene. It's amazing he never had a stroke filming.

I've never seen Blackadder, I keep meaning to, season two a good place to start then? Even flying Circus doesn't measure up to Fawlty Towers.

It's kind of an unwritten law that you've got to love Fawlty Towers to be a Superthreader.

Honestly, I think if you're the kind of person to buy into the sense of humour that predominates around here (the kind of bastards of the year sense of humour that got EYKIW Kunstmuseumed), you're pretty much inherently predisposed to be a Fawlty fan.

I mean, come on, I've used some of Basil's insults in dead seriousness in real life. "Please try to understand before one of us DIES."

What I think is doubly mind boggling is that if you compare that comedy to the comedy of now, which produces shows like The Wedge and Comedy Inc., you would think we've all got the mental capacity of two year olds. No fart jokes in Fawlty Towers. No scatological humour in the best stuff.

And yeah, I almost died of laughter at that scene. It's amazing he never had a stroke filming.

I've never seen Blackadder, I keep meaning to, season two a good place to start then? Even flying Circus doesn't measure up to Fawlty Towers.

Black Books. You'll love it.

Honestly, I think if you're the kind of person to buy into the sense of humour that predominates around here (the kind of bastards of the year sense of humour that got EYKIW Kunstmuseumed), you're pretty much inherently predisposed to be a Fawlty fan.

I mean, come on, I've used some of Basil's insults in dead seriousness in real life. "Please try to understand before one of us DIES."

I think I've said what is essentially "Have another vat of wine, dear" more times than anything else in my life.

It's kind of an unwritten law that you've got to love Fawlty Towers to be a Superthreader.

Remember to ask It's Britastic that when she next pops in.

Yes, Fawlty, Blackbooks and Blackadder fans populating the earth.

(if only.)

Not bad, Daniel. Yourself?

We can only dream :sigh:

Instead, we get subjected to Two and a Half Men ten times a week :love:

Yeah pretty good mate. Just downloaded Live in Gdansk.

I think it's just about the best show ever too, although I'd put it about equal to some other favourites, like the Goodies, Father Ted, Python (series), The Day Today, Brass Eye, Police Squad! and Arrested Development... and other stuff I'm forgetting.

Oh, how did I forget Father Ted! It must be considered with the three I mentioned. As for Monty Python, I fucking love it, but I think Cleese certainly went on to better things with Fawlty.

Need to watch Arrested Development some day soon. Not to be an Assver, but I probably already would've if it were British. That's not because I'm an anti-American cunt; my family are right into British comedy, so chances are they'd already own it and have loaned it to me if it were British. (Though in saying that, my mother's totally hooked on that Two And A Half Men programme right now.)

I think it's testament to Fawlty's enduring quality that all through high school, my friends and I would spend lunchtimes telling Fawlty jokes without even realising how old the show was. Anything else of that vintage would've surely got a "hurrr no old crap!" response from some guys, but Fawlty is special. Fucking timeless.

Yeah, Blackadder seasons two and three are the places to be - four's good too, and the finale is incredibly moving while remaining great comedy, but I think seeing two and three first is a good idea.

I like the way Snrub thinks.

This post threw me initially. This guy at my high school, Burnsy, I always called him Snrub. In the mornings, I'd piss him off by greeting him with "salutations, Ssssnrub".

Then I realised I'd picked it up off the Simpsons.

I think it's testament to Fawlty's enduring quality that all through high school, my friends and I would spend lunchtimes telling Fawlty jokes without even realising how old the show was. Anything else of that vintage would've surely got a "hurrr no old crap!" response from some guys, but Fawlty is special. Fucking timeless.

Yeah, Blackadder seasons two and three are the places to be - four's good too, and the finale is incredibly moving while remaining great comedy, but I think seeing two and three first is a good idea.

:yes: Spot on. I mean, I remember the first time I watched it. I was at my late grandfather's, and he was 70something. My Mum brought it for him on DVD, because he brought them up on it. And then all of a sudden three generations were watching it at once and laughing equally as hard. It's brilliant, and you wouldn't see a show of that stature today refusing to undermine itself by making another season/spin off/movie.

Will do :up:

I think I've said what is essentially "Have another vat of wine, dear" more times than anything else in my life.

I know you've said that to me when I've been drunkposting!

I've discovered "you started it!" "no, you did, you invaded Poland!" to be more versatile than you'd initially think.

Oh, how did I forget Father Ted! It must be considered with the three I mentioned. As for Monty Python, I fucking love it, but I think Cleese certainly went on to better things with Fawlty.

Need to watch Arrested Development some day soon. Not to be an Assver, but I probably already would've if it were British. That's not because I'm an anti-American cunt; my family are right into British comedy, so chances are they'd already own it and have loaned it to me if it were British. (Though in saying that, my mother's totally hooked on that Two And A Half Men programme right now.)

I sort of agree, yeah. Python is still a mixed bag for me - it has some absolutely ingenious ideas that really set the skeletons for a lot of subsequent shows. It also had some 'orrible sketches that have been quoted to the point of disgust, as well as some sketches that were bad to begin with.

My family's the same. We all love Seinfeld as well as the Zucker brothers stuff (Airplane/Flying High, Police Squad!), and lately my brother and I have been enjoying American radio comedy more, but overall we usually prefer British humour. The thing that put us off of AD for so long is how cute it is. We thought it would be just like Scrubs, which is awful. Just soft bullshit disguised as humour. It's not, though. I mean, it's still cutesy, but the writing is brilliant, it's really something you have to watch chronologically. Plus, it's about as good a cast you can get. Plus plus, by watching it you'll be able to get 50% more posts on Interference than before.

I know you've said that to me when I've been drunkposting!

I've discovered "you started it!" "no, you did, you invaded Poland!" to be more versatile than you'd initially think.

I'm sure I've tried that one before. Will have to again. I don't know how it went down, though.

Yeah, defintiely :up: I usually use it at the dinner table when the siblings are fighting. Unfortunately, no one understands it bar me and Mum.

Python was very hit and miss. Some glorious sketches and some boring, dreary, dreadfully dull, dull dull! ones as well.

see what i did there

Anyway, goodnight all, merry new year's.

Night :wave:

Just before I go I wanted to throw in that there's two American sitcoms that I really love in How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory, and I don't mind Scrubs, though I don't think it's God's gift to comedy like 99.9% of people do. I've always been told to watch Entourage and Arrested Development, but for some reason I've never really wanted to... probably cos they've never been on free-to-air. Hmm.

buona notte

I sort of agree, yeah. Python is still a mixed bag for me - it has some absolutely ingenious ideas that really set the skeletons for a lot of subsequent shows. It also had some 'orrible sketches that have been quoted to the point of disgust, as well as some sketches that were bad to begin with.

My family's the same. We all love Seinfeld as well as the Zucker brothers stuff (Airplane/Flying High, Police Squad!), and lately my brother and I have been enjoying American radio comedy more, but overall we usually prefer British humour. The thing that put us off of AD for so long is how cute it is. We thought it would be just like Scrubs, which is awful. Just soft bullshit disguised as humour. It's not, though. I mean, it's still cutesy, but the writing is brilliant, it's really something you have to watch chronologically. Plus, it's about as good a cast you can get.

Yeah, that's basically my stance on Python. And as for the movies, Holy Grail and Life Of Brian are brilliance, but the one time I saw Meaning Of Life will likely be the only time. Fairly represents the TV series, really. On my friend's ... 16th or 17th birthday, we basically did a marathon of Python episodes, and about 2/3rds, I'd totally watch again, while the remaining 1/3rd varies between enjoyable the one time and crap I can't say I'd be sad if I'd never seen it to begin with.

Oh yeah, love Seinfeld, and I enjoy Frasier too, though I don't go out of my way to see either. In general, I tend to find mainstream American comedy to simply be too lowbrow and obvious. The same could be said for a lot of British comedy too, but the better stuff seems to rise to the top more often. And I must admit, even the lowbrow British stuff like My Family has its moments.

Uh-oh, your use of the word "cutesy" has perhaps postponed an Arrested Development viewing further. And Scrubs can go FOAD.

Plus plus, by watching it you'll be able to get 50% more posts on Interference than before.

Nobody needs this.

Yeah, that's basically my stance on Python. And as for the movies, Holy Grail and Life Of Brian are brilliance, but the one time I saw Meaning Of Life will likely be the only time. Fairly represents the TV series, really. On my friend's ... 16th or 17th birthday, we basically did a marathon of Python episodes, and about 2/3rds, I'd totally watch again, while the remaining 1/3rd varies between enjoyable the one time and crap I can't say I'd be sad if I'd never seen it to begin with.

Oh yeah, love Seinfeld, and I enjoy Frasier too, though I don't go out of my way to see either. In general, I tend to find mainstream American comedy to simply be too lowbrow and obvious. The same could be said for a lot of British comedy too, but the better stuff seems to rise to the top more often. And I must admit, even the lowbrow British stuff like My Family has its moments.

Uh-oh, your use of the word "cutesy" has perhaps postponed an Arrested Development viewing further. And Scrubs can go FOAD.

Nobody needs this.

I don't like any of the Python movies. At least you're not judging it off of them, like a lot of people do.

I really should have picked a better word, shouldn't 'ave I? It would have put me off too. Just ignore it. We can watch it together sometime, get the fine wine flowing. Seriously, it's a damn funny show. :bonodrum:

I don't like any of the Python movies. At least you're not judging it off of them, like a lot of people do.

I really should have picked a better word, shouldn't 'ave I? It would have put me off too. Just ignore it. We can watch it together sometime, get the fine wine flowing. Seriously, it's a damn funny show. :bonodrum:

Really? How come? I'm a pretty big fan of Holy Grail and its epic quotability.

Hah. Well, that sounds like a quality idea. Oh, we found an Ata Rangi pinot noir in a bottleshop here on the Gold Coast yesterday, but at $77, a bit out of my price range. We settled for a bloody nice pinot noir from Central Otago instead. And a pinot gris. We tried to find some gewurztraminer but had no luck - they'd sold out of the couple of varieties they had. The bloke there was stunningly knowledgeable about Kiwi wines though. Didn't expect someone on the Gold Coast to know Central Otago vineyards as well as Nan and I do.

Really? How come? I'm a pretty big fan of Holy Grail and its epic quotability.

Hah. Well, that sounds like a quality idea. Oh, we found an Ata Rangi pinot noir in a bottleshop here on the Gold Coast yesterday, but at $77, a bit out of my price range. We settled for a bloody nice pinot noir from Central Otago instead. And a pinot gris. We tried to find some gewurztraminer but had no luck - they'd sold out of the couple of varieties they had. The bloke there was stunningly knowledgeable about Kiwi wines though. Didn't expect someone on the Gold Coast to know Central Otago vineyards as well as Nan and I do.

It could be the epic quotability. Nah, no, really I've never found them to be standout. Some good bits in each one, but none of them rank in a funniest movies list to me.

Hey, nice. I have no idea what a considerable amount of what you just said is, but nonetheless, that guy sounds pretty cool. Ooh, actually I had a red the other day at a friend's engagement party that I really liked! A red! Wish I could remember the brand. Will have to ask someone if they do.

I'd just like to say that listening to The Verve's A Storm In Heaven while it's storming outside is really quite great. I didn't do it deliberately, certainly wasn't conscious of the title until just a few minutes ago. But it's been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom