Peace On Earth makes #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Mix 99.9--A Toronto radio station

Just declared a U2 song #1 on the countdown. I was surpirsed (and not surprised) to hear it was "Peace on Earth."

However, they threw in the whole WTC thing..screams in the background. During the musical sections, clips from reports, Bush's speech, etc. Overall, a kinda nice effect. I'm not sure though. I was so disturbed by the whole thing...I mean, there I was driving and it REALLY hit me...the entire toll. I had to stop the car, pull over, and cry. It took a U2 song to make me realize the extent...

Sorry if I'm rambling...still in shock

Just requested it in Green Bay.

------------------
"Look what you did you little JERK!"

"Kevin! You're such a disease!"

Here they called the song "American Tragedy" by U2, they played it at 7 pm last night, for the candle lighting vigils. Very, very intense. I can't hold back the tears, every time so far that I have heard it.
Such a sad week.
frown.gif

Just heard it on the radio, and I've got to say that I much prefer Peace on Earth without the samples of screaming people and frightened newscasters in it.

I haven't heard the "new" Peace On Earth, but I have heard similar treatments of Don Henley's song New York Minute and some new song by Lifehouse.

Personally, I think the song is strong enough to speak for itself without needing blatant reminders of what has happened.

I'm torn wether i like the Jerry Maguire treatment that they've been doing for the attacks. The Peace On Earth version I actually like, but I've seen some silly ones. I saw one radio station with Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World" with all the audio clips. Such a somber moment with such a hard rocking song just seems inappropriate.

------------------
But that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
-Dennis Miller

Dressing like your sister, living like a tart. They don't know what you're doing, babe it must be art. You're a headache... in a suitcase... You're a star.

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:

Personally, I think the song is strong enough to speak for itself without needing blatant reminders of what has happened.

I agree with you HLG....it was always a very powerful song, even more so now.
frown.gif

------------------
J33 - 3->

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

i don't like the background audio they have been putting in songs. (i haven't heard peace on earth yet.) it's creepy... if i wanted to hear that i'd put on a news show not a rock station.

------------------
"I can't believe the news today,
Oh, I can't close my eyes
And make it go away.
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? How long...
'cause tonight...we can be as one."

Love to all of you,
Emily

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Mix 99.9--A Toronto radio station

Just declared a U2 song #1 on the countdown. I was surpirsed (and not surprised) to hear it was "Peace on Earth."

Was this on their weekly top 30 countdown or the listener's request countdown of top 9 at 9?

I too prefer the Peace on Earth without the screams and explosions, it sounds almost tacky and disrespectful in my opinion. Star 98.7 did a better job of doing that to Lenny Kravitz's Let Love Rule, with quotes from the President, Al Gore, and newscasters being played in the background rather than actual people who are looking for loved ones at the bottom of the WTC. On KROQ they are playing the "ATYCLB" version of Peace on Earth and New York. The DJ said she never realized how lyrically appropriate and soothing that U2's ATYCLB would end up being and I found that very interesting.

It is a very comforting album for me!

It appears that mixing sound bytes to popular songs is quickly becoming the trend of the moment. Here in NY, a bunch of radio stations are doing that. I don't like it. I don't need to hear people say how much of a tragedy the WTC crash was. We already fuckin know that! Just play the fuckin song!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl:
Just heard it on the radio, and I've got to say that I much prefer Peace on Earth without the samples of screaming people and frightened newscasters in it.

I agree Mirrorball Girl. The song is much more powerful all by itself (and the samples are all WAY too long)

I've heard a couple versions. One was okay, but I found one quite disturbing because they had talk of "this is war" right over the part "...what you mock, will surely overtake you, and you become a monster so the monster will not break you." Could anything be less appropriate? Somebody was definately NOT listening to the song when they edited it.

Back
Top Bottom