Ordinary Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year's Oscars drew an audience of about 40 million. The impact can be even stronger if they perform the song at the ceremony. And Ordinary Love has the potential to be big live (unlike The Hands That Built America, which didn't really make much of an impression when they performed it at The Academy Awards because of the kind of song it is).

according to dave fanning another version of the song could end up on the new album

Actually this version seems shorter than the one on the clip with the movie-goers (which had an extended outro_, so for one I suspect that it is a short "single-version" and that there must be a longer version somewhere (new album?soundtrack album - i don't know)

I don't really know much about Mandela's life, so how do you guys think the lyrics allude to him?

I think the magic marker line is a personal injection by Bono. He's talked about how Mandela was one of his heroes growing up, so I see Bono singing in first person directly to Mandela when he says, "Your heart is on my sleeve." And the disillusionment he (Bono) has had to deal with, "For years I would believe that the world couldn't wash it away".

What about the chorus, "We can't fall any further if we can't feel ordinary love. And we can't reach any higher if we can't deal with ordinary love"? Is ordinary love a good thing or bad here? Or both? That ordinary love can make you fall, but at the same time you can't reach any higher without it?

Hi, I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with Mandela's non-violent struggle against apartheid, his time in prison (where he was condemned for life) and the breakdown of his marriage to his wife, Winnie Mandela.

Similarly to Walk on, where he spoke about Aung San Suu Kyi, I think Bono is focusing on the personal consequences of a political struggle. It's a good angle, and the lyrics are much better than I expected, I have to say!

Actually this version seems shorter than the one on the clip with the movie-goers (which had an extended outro_, so for one I suspect that it is a short "single-version" and that there must be a longer version somewhere (new album?soundtrack album - i don't know)

I wouldn't be shocked if the soundtrack version is slightly longer with a more definitive outro.

The more I listen to 'Ordinary' the more I'm growing to really like it. It's short, punchy, sounds fresh and has killer hook. What more can you ask for? My wife (who hates U2) has been going around humming it all day. Has raised my expectations a lot for the album.

Remember this is the band that 'returned' with Boots quite possibly the worst song ever made by anyone!

Having listened to it a couple of times, I kind of like it, the hook at least but I can't help but think it's a missed opportunity in its current form. The intro is dull, and the song seems likes it's building up to a rip-roaring middle 8 and then just doesn't.

It's a pretty little song, and Bono's voice sounds really good. But I'm glad it's not the lead single for the new album, it's not exciting enough to draw in the borderline U2 fans.

I so wanted to love this song after reading all the positive comments.

I do like it, it's just not blowing me away. Good song for a soundtrack, I suppose, but I hope it's not indicative of the new album. I was hoping for something a bit edgier, if you'll pardon the pun. Maybe that's unrealistic at this point in their career, but that's what I'm holding out for.

Maybe it'll grow on me.

The more I listen to 'Ordinary' the more I'm growing to really like it. It's short, punchy, sounds fresh and has killer hook. What more can you ask for? My wife (who hates U2) has been going around humming it all day. Has raised my expectations a lot for the album.

Remember this is the band that 'returned' with Boots quite possibly the worst song ever made by anyone!

I still haven't heard any hook!

The song's a *bit* of a grower but lets be honest...overall this is a paint-by-numbers tune that U2 can sh*t out in their sleep at this point.

I hope it's not indicative of the level of fervor they'll bring to the new album. In fact, I hope that's why they released it in this fashion...

On the plus side the production is stellar and Bono's vocals sound great!

You Too Can Hear U2 Overthink Its New Song

I don't agree with this article, but it was an interesting viewpoint...

Words are shoehorned in without much regard for scansion, stress, or tone. The overall effect is of someone not trusting his gut: of trying too hard to write “good lyrics”—superego lyrics—and then forcing them onto the music.

I've been saying this for quite a while. He has a tendency of late to cram too many syllables into a verse line and it doesn't sound natural at all.

Words are shoehorned in without much regard for scansion, stress, or tone. The overall effect is of someone not trusting his gut: of trying too hard to write “good lyrics”—superego lyrics—and then forcing them onto the music.

I've been saying this for quite a while. He has a tendency of late to cram too many syllables into a verse line and it doesn't sound natural at all.

I know! I hate it when he does that!

Original of the Species ("some things you shouldn't get too good at") comes to mind. Unknown Caller also.

That never happened on an album like Joshua Tree

Interesting. Could I get an example of what you're referring to?

Edit: I agree with Unknown Caller from the above post.

This is present on many songs from the last few albums.

On something like Cedars Of Lebanon or Breath it's ok because he's "speak-singing" the lyrics, but everywhere else it's just bad songwriting, sacrificing vocal melody in favor of the ideas in the words. Crazy Tonight, Get On Your Boots, Stuck In A Moment, . Those are three off the top of my head.

What's funny is that the verses are overwrought (not terrible mind, I quite like them apart from the "birds fly high in the summer sky" and "build a house in the trees" trite imagery, and the magic marker thing doesn't quite cut it either). But then there's the "Are we tough enough for ordinary love" line which is pure cheese. Delectable cheese served on a silver platter, but it seems to come out of nowhere. It's certainly piqued my interest in terms of where Bono's head was at for this album.

I think the article has a point, this has been a problem with bono's lyrics for a while. However these are not too bad, much more understated than I expected.

The article is good, I see his point.

I like the song, even some parts, a lot. However, hearing the "clear" version made me think and believe that U2 is getting lazier and lazier. Larry's drumming is very very simple, Adam's bass as well and Edge's is just a joke..... he plays 2 notes overall..... Anyway, with that amount of laziness they are still putting out a pretty good song (thanks to Bono's voice and to the hooking melody). I know it's a soundtrack song, but I really hope they still have something else in their guts, remember, the same band wrote The Electric Co, Like a song, Wire, Exit, God part 2, The Fly, Zooropa, Mofo, Please, Gone..... I'm just a bit scared for the new album.:hmm:

Has the article quoted above been written by a member of a U2 forum? Because it sounds like that. I can't believe someone is bothering to write an over-intellectual article about a simple song. This is ridiculous.

It's a pity that so many are searching for little details to complain about in this song. What I personally enjoy about it is its simplicity. I'm a fan of nature metaphors, I use them a lot in my own poetry. I don't like overly intellectual stuff in lyrics, I like feelings more than thoughts. Those lyrics give me images that I can really relate to and enjoy without having to think too much about it. It's fitting for a movie soundtrack. And I think it IS an indicator for Bono's current mindset. Some might find this development disturbing or scaring, but we need to realize that Bono's vision of the world and his artistic approach has changed a lot in the last 10 to 15 years. It's good that way, people are changing and evolving, not everyone might like that but personally I would be very disturbed if the new album would sound like something they did 20 years ago.

Just got an email, lol.
U2 have written a new song, Ordinary Love, for the movie 'Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom'.

Catch the song in full in this beautiful lyric video.

Ordinary Love is released in a limited-edition vinyl pressing to mark Record Store Day next Friday, November 29th.

For more information and news visit U2.com.

:love: And U2.com arrives to the party late, as usual.

I totally disagree with that article,I love the "sea wants to kiss the golden shore" line. Raally paints a picture in my mind of south africa and a warm sunny day. Hell I even love the "magic marker" line! Just a fun uplifting song.......compare it to coldplays new song atlas. Well I know what song I prefer.

Has the article quoted above been written by a member of a U2 forum? Because it sounds like that. I can't believe someone is bothering to write an over-intellectual article about a simple song. This is ridiculous.

It's a pity that so many are searching for little details to complain about in this song. What I personally enjoy about it is its simplicity. I'm a fan of nature metaphors, I use them a lot in my own poetry. I don't like overly intellectual stuff in lyrics, I like feelings more than thoughts. Those lyrics give me images that I can really relate to and enjoy without having to think too much about it. It's fitting for a movie soundtrack. And I think it IS an indicator for Bono's current mindset. Some might find this development disturbing or scaring, but we need to realize that Bono's vision of the world and his artistic approach has changed a lot in the last 10 to 15 years. It's good that way, people are changing and evolving, not everyone might like that but personally I would be very disturbed if the new album would sound like something they did 20 years ago.

I don't mind the lyrics, but again, the non-native english speakers (like me) tend to be more critical about the music itself and less about the lyrics....even though I will never compare Heartland and Wild Honey..... :hmm:

No wonder the band are so scared of releasing things, even a soundtrack song is getting micro analysed it's ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom