Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
The Wanderer is actually a good song. The problem is that the idea to back Johnny Cash with synthesizers is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Agreed. :up:

LemonMelon said:

Have the band, or anyone competent, do it acoustically and it's good fun.
I need a bootleg of this. Tell me it's not Bono singing, please. His voice is too high.

KhanadaRhodes said:

and being someone who took one guitar lesson and promptly decided she'd never play again, i haaaate songs like that where i see my rock meter falling deeper into red and i fail the song before i even get to the first chorus! on easy! which is like bono's level of playing!

:lol: I'm mostly with you on this one. I do love a good face-melter now and again, but there needs to be a strong melody or hook to go along with it. This is why I enjoy Porcupine Tree.

phillyfan26 said:

I Am the Wooden Doors has some good instrumentation.

But it could kill you. The death growl. Ugh.

I love Haughm's clean vocals in I Am The Wooden Doors. The growls are solid and the lyrics excellent, though I think Haughm's best growls show up in She Painted Fire Across The Skyline and Our Fortress Is Burning.

phillyfan26 said:
Self taught guitarists :hi5:

:up: Have you heard my old band? You can find the links in B&C. The mixing is shit, but it's decent stuff (keep in mind I wrote very little of it, btw).

RegularBonoFan said:
Agreed. :up:

I need a bootleg of this. Tell me it's not Bono singing, please. His voice is too high.

Unfortunately, the only live version out there is indeed with Bono on lead vocal. Great version IMO, but that might get under your skin.

KhanadaRhodes said:
fuck it. i'm gonna try listening to pee fan's playlist. i'm just not in the mood for ljt's playlist, and i don't think i'd give it a fair rating if i listened now.

Review it while I'm asleep and I'll come back to them tomorrow.

phillyfan26 said:

I could not disagree with this statement more. I think that it could have and didn't purely because of mixing. It's not like they performed it differently live, aside from an added solo. :shrug:

A mixer can't get passion out of a band. That is the producer's job. The mixer can only work with what the artist gives them. They can't add what they don't have.

the tourist said:
Guitar lessons? Really? :huh: I would never do that.
i was like 11 or 12, i was looking for a hobby. i found it too difficult. even just playing guitar hero can be frustrating for me, and the buttons are much closer together than the notes or whatever are on a real guitar of course. for someone who likes playing video games, i get frustrated easily and have been known to throw controllers across the room and such. :uhoh:

I hate being in a later group. :( No one will give my playlist any reviews until after the competition has started. When is that anyway, a week from Monday?

Axver said:

I love Haughm's clean vocals in I Am The Wooden Doors. The growls are solid and the lyrics excellent, though I think Haughm's best growls show up in She Painted Fire Across The Skyline and Our Fortress Is Burning.

My rule of thumb is, if you can execute clean vocals well in a song ... don't stop.

The growls hurt the song for me, a lot.

The next one isn't as bad.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i was like 11 or 12, i was looking for a hobby. i found it too difficult. even just playing guitar hero can be frustrating for me, and the buttons are much closer together than the notes or whatever are on a real guitar of course. for someone who likes playing video games, i get frustrated easily and have been known to throw controllers across the room and such. :uhoh:

I taught myself when I was 17. I sucked for 2 years. But now out of all the musicians close to me, I'm the best guitarist I know who's never been in a band signed to a major label. It takes lots of hard work.

LemonMelon said:
I hate being in a later group. :( No one will give my playlist any reviews until after the competition has started. When is that anyway, a week from Monday?
i've already got yours downloaded so technically i could listen to them whenever :wink: i'm listening to them more or less in order. if i put some of these playlists on my ipod, i could get everything knocked out while i'm at work :hmm:

Screwtape2 said:
A mixer can't get passion out of a band. That is the producer's job. The mixer can only work with what the artist gives them. They can't add what they don't have.

In disagreeing with your statement, I was also disagreeing with the notion that passion was the problem.

LemonMelon said:

I thought everyone's links were gonna be posted at the same time. I agree with you on that.

phillyfan26 said:

My rule of thumb is, if you can execute clean vocals well in a song ... don't stop.

The growls hurt the song for me, a lot.

The next one isn't as bad.

And this is the thing about death metal. You either like the growls or you don't. I was receptive to it from the start - took a little getting used to, but I was into the aesthetic. I wouldn't change anything.

And I love Garm's vocals on Nightmare Heaven, specifically those after the mid-song interlude. "And the miracle is that nothing has happened/nothing has a history or a name" is just sensational.

the tourist said:
I taught myself when I was 17. I sucked for 2 years. But now out of all the musicians close to me, I'm the best guitarist I know who's never been in a band signed to a major label. It takes lots of hard work.
wow, that's awesome! i'm impressed :)

KhanadaRhodes said:

wow, that's awesome! i'm impressed :)

Well, thanks for that. Not like I can prove it, though. :wink: Anyway, I have a long list of friends who've been signed to major labels, so I'm not even in the top ten of people I know/am friends with.

the tourist said:
I thought everyone's links were gonna be posted at the same time. I agree with you on that.
yeah, i hate how there wasn't the mega email or whatever with all the links so people could download everything.

i've got everyone from rounds one and two downloaded, along with irishteen/lemonchick, lmp, and lemonmelon since they emailed me their links. the only thing that's preventing me from listening to any of theirs is i don't know what round they'll be in, and i'm keeping a journal of the contestants from each round, in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom