NLOTH songs on next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
What NLOTH songs do you THINK and what songs do you WANT them to continue playing on tour?

Think:
Magnificent (in some reworked fashion, maybe acoustic?)
GOYB (it's just fun)
Crazy Tonight (maybe, but in album version)

Want:
Moment Of Surrender (acoustic, with piano maybe, it can be beautiful)
NLOTH (amazing song live)
FEZ/BB (it could be a grear encore opener)

Think
Magnificent: This one's pretty much a lock really.
MOS: Bono's very attached to it. I think crowd response will determine whether it's a fixture or rotates.
Boots: If it is not played, it will be the first lead single to not be performed on the subsequent tour since both The Fly and Numb missed Popmart (which is in fact the ONLY tour to not feature the previous album's lead single). Lead singles have tended to get performed early on the subsequent tour even when they haven't lasted - even Fire got one War Tour appearance - so my call is Boots for the first leg, but won't reach the end of the tour.

Want
NLOTH: Scorching live rocker.
Fez: Because it rules. Needs to be done live.
White As Snow: If they must do an acoustic set - and you know they're going to slow it down somehow, at some point - then this would be a good little pick.

Magnificent and Boots have some chance, but both went over like led zeppelins, and I would have a hard time wishing for them to take a setlist spot from higher-quality rarities. MOS might have a shot, because it's amazing, and because the band seem to love it. I have a hard time imagining it anywhere other than the closer. No Line might have an outside shot, because it translated really well live. White As Snow... well, if U2 are willing to pull out A Man and a Woman for Bill Clinton's birthday, I suppose it's possible. I really wish that Willie Williams's Bad/October/White as Snow/Drowning Man combo had happened on 360.

I think Breathe, NLOTH, Magnificent and MOS have a good shot of being brought back. They should keep MOS more faithful to the album version, though.

If they played Fez, that would be awesome. :up:

oh I'll toss my 2 cents in :)

I love (most of) NLOTH (of my top 3) so I'd be excited to hear most songs

Think:
Magnificant (as is.... i rthink it works best in full electric)
maaaaybe MOS in a different spot since it got a good reception
GOYB ? i was up front-outer circle and people were rocking it
I loved the recorded version of Crazy. Hated the live version but slowly fell in love with it-- luckily before I saw it live! :lol:

Wants:
NLOTH oh...it was so intense esp the last last verse and chorus
Breath: I loved...still it's a great opener. Larry gets the thing going, then Edge buzzsaws in along Adam laying the booming bass and finally Bono moves in to sing. Wonderful.
( NLOTH would also be great opener <but then it would be overwith too soon :( )

yes... I'd love to hear FezBB live "just" to hear them singing together ( as they did in studio ) the "lights flash past, like memories"
oh my so strong sand etheric at the same time

And i love UC ...just think they could speed it up just a bit

and thanks... get to relive memories- the magic & joy :happy:

ETA:

and YAY for several poeple posting before me...as i was doing one finger while holding up the laptop w other hand....
and saying positive, enthusiastic things since other were so tepid about it <album>!

WANT: FEZ. Wow do I want to hear that song live. Won't happen but one can dream I suppose.

I honestly don't know what else is a *lock*. Magnificent just wasn't fantastic live, seemed like they never really figured out how to play it. Maybe Moment of Surrender, which I would be totally fine with.

It only got one play* in the last 15 shows of the last tour. Why would it be back?

*AND IT WAS IN FUCKING PHILADELPHIA IN PLACE OF THE FLY FUCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I figure they're going to play at least one of NLOTH's singles and Magnificent is much less polarising than Boots and more well-known than Crazy Tonight. It can fit almost anywhere in a set, it's easy to play, Bono can shout parochial shit over the intro and random crap over the solo, etc.

I'll honestly be surprised if NLOTH has a strong presence in the next tour's setlists though, especially on stadium legs. 2-3 songs at the outset, reduced to 1-2 later in the tour. Not much leaps out at me as "really popular so it needs to be played" or "live classic so they'll keep doing it". Just a lot of "yeah if there's room" songs, and when you have 13 albums, space is at a premium.

Like POP, that started with Discotheque, Staring At The Sun and Gone, at the beginning of the Elevation Tour, and eventually got cut to Please, but there wasn't a strong POP presence in the Elevation Tour.

I'd hate that happening to NLOTH.

Bono can shout parochial shit over the intro and random crap over the solo, etc.

Astute reasoning that could only come from a seasoned fan.
I suspect you're right. Besides, MOS is too long, Breathe is too slow, Crazy is too crap and Boots is too disliked.

I think the title track also makes it. An uptempo rocker can always find a place.
And among the "wants" I'd have, that one is good enough for me. I'd say Fez too, but obviously that would never happen.

Magnificent has a chance just since it rated so highly in that U22 voting. I imagine the band are aware of that in some fashion.

Title track is the one I want to see the most, and White as Snow could work for me as well. Boots may get some plays here or there, but I don't think it's a lock.

Look back at their history. Albums that get bad press, they stay away from.

How much of R&H do we get? A song or two here and there. Pop? Even less.

History shows, it they will play anything from NLOTH, they might play Magnificent or Boots. Probably not both.

Great Thread idea.... with that being said

THINK:
Boots - to start the tour not sure how long it'll last though
NLOTH - which I think translated pretty well live
MOS - Bono seems to love this song - someone put above maybe acoustically/piano version, I never thought of this but sounds pretty cool :up:

WANT

FEZ - I think there's an untapped gem there
Crazy - wouldn't be bad but the album form, I'm prolly in the minority but I really didn't mind the album version as much as the live version.

History shows, it they will play anything from NLOTH, they might play Magnificent or Boots. Probably not both.

...also this can't be denied either so if we don't hear much from this album - it wouldn't shock me.

U2 did play Discotheque and Gone during the first leg of Elevation, and did also play Staring at the Sun, Wake Up Dead Man (kind of) and Please. So...

Breathe & Moment of Surrender, Magnificent sometimes. Maybe with GOYB sometimes, or as an intro to another song.

I really think a version of "Crazy Tonight" similar to the album version is all we'll get.

"Moment of Surrender" is too much of an event song the way that "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" was...it's the sort of thing you'd figure to be an essential tour staple and then pretty much out of the setlists for good after that.

Nothing else went over well with casuals, so I don't see them pulling anything out. "Crazy Tonight" was a single, is the catchiest song on the album for people not familiar with the album and it wasn't played at all in it's rather stirring original format (aside from on Letterman and for a video shoot).

If they only went with two songs from HTDAAB ("Vertigo" and "City"), I don't see why anybody thinks they'll start the tour with 2 or more from NLOTH.

"Moment of Surrender" is too much of an event song the way that "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" was...it's the sort of thing you'd figure to be an essential tour staple and then pretty much out of the setlists for good after that.

I'm sure most people thought the same thing about Zoo Station and then they busted it out on Vertigo.

I'm sure most people thought the same thing about Zoo Station and then they busted it out on Vertigo.

Nah. Zoo Station doesn't have a hefty emotional pull to it..."Sometimes" is basically "Fuck! My dad just died!" and "Moment of Surrender" kind of has a similar vibe of coming to grips with a situation. Whereas something like "City" and "Vertigo" are poppier, hence their return.

Say no to MoS. Say yes to Bad.

I would say that 'Magnificent','Boots' and' No Line On The Horizon' will be played.

'Breathe' was a fantastic song to open the show with, but considering it was dropped after the second leg of 360, and basically not played after this (not played from third leg-last leg), I am doubtful that it will be played.
'Unknown Caller'- That was also dropped around the same time as 'Breathe', so also doubtful about that.

It could be a situation that we have seen before.

Some of the songs from NLOTH could potentially only become like some of the songs from the Vertigo Tour- 'Crumbs From Your Table' and 'Love and Peace Or Else'- they were really good, but are now nearly forgotten about, as they have not been played in 8 or 9 years.

On the other hand, it could end up like this: 'Kite' was played on the Elevation Tour, was not really played on the early legs of the Vertigo Tour, but it then suddenly popped up on the Vertigo Tour's 5th leg.

Also, it could end up like 'New York', 'New York' has not been played since the end of the Elevation Tour.

The setlists for the new tour will be very interesting alright.

Nah. Zoo Station doesn't have a hefty emotional pull to it..."Sometimes" is basically "Fuck! My dad just died!" and "Moment of Surrender" kind of has a similar vibe of coming to grips with a situation. Whereas something like "City" and "Vertigo" are poppier, hence their return.

Say no to MoS. Say yes to Bad.

Say yes to MoS segueing into Bad.

I never thought of MOS as being specific to a particular situation or event for the band. Is it?

Just a random question -- how come everyone thinks NLOTH the song will be played? It got abandoned in 360...

I doubt it would be played. But if they wanted to play 3 songs off the album then perhaps it would make the cut. It's the title track after all.

Boots is no chance as they will wish to divorce themselves from it.

Crazy Tonight was intrinsically tied into its spot in the 360 setlist and in their eyes won't properly translate into a different show.

Breathe and Unknown Caller are a chance, I suppose, but I rate NLOTH higher if nothing else because it's the title track.

But I think its academic. I can't see them playing any more than 2 NLOTH songs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom