NLOTH FULL ALBUM - Shamelessly Immediate Review Thread (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord, even the slow songs are freaking great. I love Achtung Baby as I love my first born (I named her after it), but this album is really going to challenge for that #2 spot in my heart.

(I didn't really name my kid after Achtung Baby. My wife wouldn't let me :mad:)

When U2 played Kite in Australia '06 I loved the Edge solo sound on the re-worked end of the song. I hoped it would influence the new album and I find his ending solo on Unknown Caller to be just as moving - absolutely beautiful.

The intro to Fez is sublime.

There is so much in this album. We'll be noticing new things six months from now.

I think No Line is a great starting track as it just sizzles with energy. It reminds of me of when I first heard Streets 21 years ago as a 13 year old and it made me want to stand up and look out the window and go out in the streets.

Just finished my first listen, and overall, I think it is definitely the best ALBUM the guys have put out since Pop. ATYCLB and Bomb had some good songs and a couple of standouts, but as a cohesive piece of work, NLOTH stands on it's own. It's simply a wonderful album!

Oh, and Magnificent is just an amazing track to me. I haven't gotten this excited about a single U2 song in a looooong time!

So I read this entire thread (yes, really) and am pleased to see that seemingly everyone likes it. Of course that's to be expected, probably half of you will hate it in a month :wink:

My thoughts: it's overwhelming. I'm on my fourth listen now, still trying to take it all in. I don't think it's as immediately accessible as Bomb. Bomb I was like OMG I LOVE EVERY SONG and now I'm like yeah I really like about half of them and the rest are okay (no I'm not a Bomb hater). With No Line it's more I like every song but don't really know what to think at the same time.

I may be alone on this but so far my favourite track is Cedars. Absolutely gorgeous and every bit as haunting as I thought it'd be. Probably the best closer ever except for Love is Blindness.

I like Crazy Tonight and Stand Up a lot more than I thought I would, especially the last half of SUC which is absolutely awesome. Adam's bass is so funky! I also like Unknown Caller a lot more than I thought I would based on the beach clip. I think it's one of the highlights of the album.

Bono's voice is great and very versatile. His Moment of Surrender vocal = holy shit. The chorus surprised me, it's a hymn, and like many elements of this album I don't quite know what to think. But omg the verse and his voice :drool:

yeah, um, I like every track I think but I'm still trying to process it all. Looking forward to listening to this for weeks to come.

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER CREATED BY THE HANDS OF MAN!!!!! :combust: THOSE FOUR YEARS WERE NOT JUST WORTH THE WAIT, BUT I BELIEVE THIS ALBUM IS SO GOOD THAT IT SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN VAULTS FOREVER! THE HUMAN MIND SIMPLY CANNOT COMPREHEND HOW BRILLIANT THIS IS!!!!
I'M HONESTLY SURPRISED THAT MY COMPUTER HASN'T ALREADY EXPLODED FROM HOW AMAZING THIS IS! ONLY A TOTAL DOUCHEBAG WITH NO TASTE WHATSOEVER WOULD DISLIKE EVEN .000000000000001% OF THIS ALBUM!!!!

OMG, I fell asleep early for the first time in forever, just woke up a few minutes ago and decided to check the forum before going back to bed, and OMG, IT'S LEAKED!!!!! :hyper:

Also? LM, I adore you, because I know that 5 years from now, you'll still mean this, and won't be ashamed of it. :heart:

I have been waiting my entire life for U2 to release another achtung baby; they finally have and i cannot describe how amazing it is. this album is a completely radical change from anything they've ever done. the songwriting structures have completely changed, and they have redefined the U2 "soundscape." This is by far the strangest album U2 have ever released, and it is "Magnificent."

:confused:

cracking and gravelly singing?!?! Fuck, I don't know what to make of your comments but I guess I'll take it as a positive :pray:

Make this of it--if you expect Bono to sound like he did when he was 27 you're a damn fool and you're being unfair.
He sounds great. His voice sounds more powerfull than it has on the last two albums. He is indeed, "singing like a bird."
But it's not as if he found a fountain of youth. That's just impossible.

Lord, even the slow songs are freaking great. I love Achtung Baby as I love my first born (I named her after it), but this album is really going to challenge for that #2 spot in my heart.

(I didn't really name my kid after Achtung Baby. My wife wouldn't let me :mad:)

You could've named her Abbie (A.B.) :wave:

It's 2 am where I live -- just got home from helping my brother pack everything in his house - he's moving in two days. I see this has leaked, and now there's no way I can go to sleep -- luckily I am self employed. So I just made myself a bourbon and settled back for a first listen. Cheers everybody!

All I wanted and more...ty Paul, Dave, Adam and Larry! took u for granted...glad to be alive NOW! :wave:

I'm totally digging the whole UC thing...to be honest, it sounds like an acid trip to me...total 'Alice in Wonderland.' I imagine Eno slipping them something...and then 48 hours later they wake up and don't know what the hell happened...all the while they were running around shirtless playing the drum kit, pounding-out killer guitar solos, and chanting, with Eno running tape the entire time.

:lol: That's the only way they could have possibly come up with Force quit and move to trash sung in such a beautiful melody... :wink: (I actually love that line. It makes me laugh. It's good though.)

when it comes to acid trips Fez was the song that most made me think of that :p

I actually really love Get On Your Boots. I haven't skipped it on any listen and I don't think it's one of the weaker tracks. The thing is I can't decide what are the weaker tracks ... :huh:

On first listen, I like "Crazy Tonight" best right now... it pumps me up and feels like that song that will be my favorite.

I liked Miracle Drug best last album...

:shocked: Universal Australia shut down online selling of NLOTH; it was only available for 1-2 hours. (According to @U2)

:lol:

HAHA.

n00bs.

I can't believe it was on Napster for a week...? How did that go unnoticed, when Alan Cross said a leak was imminent I'm pretty sure we searched the entire internet. Like, all of it.

:huh:

What a GREAT way to start the day. I'm so excited.

On my first listen now, SUC has just finished, what a great track.

I was in tears during Magnificent and MOS, honestly. The 7,5 minutes of MOS seemed so short, such a great song.

Not convinced by Crazy Tonight, but I guess it will take a few more listens. Everything else is amazing so far. Listening to the weirdness of FBB right now.

This is a surreal album, it's amazing. Bono's singing is strong, love the lyrics, adore the guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom