NFL 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
always-birds.gif

I know why they took those knees... they were afraid of Bortles throwing a pick and giving New England even more momentum going into the half. But you can't play to not lose on the road, in the playoffs, against Belichick and Brady.

And that was my point earlier on Bortles... yea, he played as well as he could have. And no, he didn't necessarily do anything to lose them the game - but he didn't make the plays to help them win it, either, and Jacksonville clearly had a game plan of simple throws, mainly off play action, to keep things simple. If they want to go to a Super Bowl, at some point they either need to take the reigns off of him and let him make some risky throws, or they need to move on if they don't think he's capable.

I was going to post something like this.

I don't blame Bortles nearly as much as his coaching staff. They started their last five drives with four runs up the middle that got stuffed and a pass when they needed to catch up.

Belichick definitely gambled that Bortles wouldn't or wouldn't be allowed to push the Jaguars further ahead, as the Patriots punted on 4th-and-4 and 4th-and-2 in Jaguars territory in the second half.

I daresay that the Jaguars defense (particularly the pass rushers) probably would have liked the offense to play a bit more aggressively as well.

Another thought, one that I haven’t seen discussed.

When the Jags were facing 4th and 14, I think they should have kicked a field goal. It would have been about 56 yards or so, but Lambo has been money all year and I bet he would have made it. Then you are down one, you have three timeouts, and the Patriots are just gonna run. They might have gotten the ball back with plenty of time, only needing another field goal to win it.

I realize they couldn’t stop the Patriots after, but I wonder with the change of circumstances if it wouldn’t have been the better approach there.

The fact that they didn't put Bortles on the ground for run options on those last two Jax drives was egregious. There was plenty of time and plenty of open space on the field.

I was going to post something like this.

I don't blame Bortles nearly as much as his coaching staff. They started their last five drives with four runs up the middle that got stuffed and a pass when they needed to catch up.

Belichick definitely gambled that Bortles wouldn't or wouldn't be allowed to push the Jaguars further ahead, as the Patriots punted on 4th-and-4 and 4th-and-2 in Jaguars territory in the second half.

I daresay that the Jaguars defense (particularly the pass rushers) probably would have liked the offense to play a bit more aggressively as well.

Well they know him better than we do... but they have a damn good team, and a young team. But unless you're the Patriots, windows of success in the NFL are small. If they want to win, they need to decide whether or not Bortles is a guy they trust to make a big play or not, and if not, move on this off-season. There will be plenty of potential suitors who could step into that role.

I'd also like to state for the record that the Giants should just go and rehire Tom Coughlin (even though they won't).

Shurmur is interesting. Coaches who did poorly with the Browns clearly can do well elsewhere, but I'm not sold on him yet.

Last edited:
Another thought, one that I haven’t seen discussed.

When the Jags were facing 4th and 14, I think they should have kicked a field goal. It would have been about 56 yards or so, but Lambo has been money all year and I bet he would have made it.

They were on the 43, would have been a 61 yard FG, so that wasn't really an option.

The fact that they didn't put Bortles on the ground for run options on those last two Jax drives was egregious. There was plenty of time and plenty of open space on the field.

Considering how much success he had running against Beefalo and Pittsburgh, its surprising he didn't have a rushing attempt (two kneel downs at the end of the half notwithstanding).

Lambo made a 54 yarder easily earlier in the game. I think it was definitely an option.

I think the risk/reward aspect, especially when you're down 4, makes it the 3rd option after going for it or punting. If its a 3 point game, of course you take a crack, but in this case it only gets you within 1, and if you miss, the Pats get the ball at midfield, 8 yards further afield than an incompletion.
His career long is 56, you're asking him to exceed that by 5 yards in a high leverage situation and the end result if it succeeds is you still trail, and time is running out.

Belichick with a mustache is still making me laugh. It's from the 30 for 30 episode that's on Feb 1st, The Two Bills. I have to see that. Joint interview with him and Parcells.

DUMV6gMXkAA9JKV.jpeg

I watched his press conference this morning and he was unusually pleasant for him. That's definitely his football persona. There was a local TV interview last year with him and his longtime girlfriend in which he was very personable. The NFL Network special about him years ago was great and showed his human side.

I enjoy it when he acts like a jerk, especially to the media. Like when he said Sunday that Tom's injury wasn't open heart surgery. It was so overblown. One of the best BB moments ever was when he criticized the tv meteorologists and they got so defensive about it. He can be entertaining. I would love to meet him.

He even told a reporter this morning that they asked a great question. Shocking...

My favorite of the season was after the Dolphins shellacked the Patriots in Miami.

"Why do you guys seem to struggle when you come in to Miami so often?"
(Referencing a 9-7 or 7-9 record, I can't recall)

BB: "were you here last year?"

I watched his press conference this morning and he was unusually pleasant for him. That's definitely his football persona. There was a local TV interview last year with him and his longtime girlfriend in which he was very personable. The NFL Network special about him years ago was great and showed his human side.

I enjoy it when he acts like a jerk, especially to the media. Like when he said Sunday that Tom's injury wasn't open heart surgery. It was so overblown. One of the best BB moments ever was when he criticized the tv meteorologists and they got so defensive about it. He can be entertaining. I would love to meet him.

He even told a reporter this morning that they asked a great question. Shocking...

He's usually pretty good on his Monday afternoon interview on WEEI, especially when asked a question about the Naval Academy or football history.
But there have been occasions when he has been very surly there too (last year Michael Holley asked him a question about getting the team to not overlook a weak opponent and he was merciless to him)

The night of the NFC Championship was one of the drunkest nights of my life. I believe I had 22 drinks that day. I may die on February 4th. Go Birds.

I shouldn't laugh at that Eagles fan but it's just so funny.

I just watched the first episode of Tom vs Time. I'm no longer on Facebook but it's on NESN.com. Nothing earth shattering, but you get to see inside his home. Which is of course perfectly gorgeous. His training is just what you expect, every detail is already reported about it in New England. He has these professional looking binders about every season, and keeps his suspension letter in one of them. He writes down Belichick ' s comments about every game and keeps them in the binder. I think he's more than a little ocd, probably one reason he's so successful.

Back
Top Bottom