Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First listen not bad at all. I think it's a grower. Would like to hear it in proper sound quality.

I found it interesting. That's the best I got.

Bono's pre chorus lyrics about radios and singing along are bad. And not bad as in the song Bad, which is good. But bad as in bad, that shit blows.

I like the “this is a meditation on your radio station”, sorry. Considering recent lyrical atrocities he’s committed this is pretty benign.

Also, and I say this as someone who was very critical about a fair portion of the last two albums, it’s clear that some people are never going to be pleased at this point, and they’d be better off with a different hobby instead of coming here on the regular.

Last edited:
You know this place is legit on life-support when we have a surprise single and there’s barely any talk about it. :sad:

i was going to make a post last night about how i've been glancing at the "today's birthdays" section of the main forum page now and then over the last few days, and the lowest age on there that i've seen is 29 (for a login that was created in 2006 when the person was 15 years old, they made four posts and vanished).

i think that says something interesting both about this place and about U2 in 2019, but the reason i never made the post is because i was stoned and couldn't figure out exactly what that "something interesting" was, couldn't decide whether it actually was "something interesting" or if i was just really baked, and then i forgot all about it when halftime of the raptors game ended.

It’s absolutely awful, what on earth were they thinking releasing this..?!

it's not something i'll come back to again and again, but it's definitely not "absolutely awful". i'm with laz on the prechorus lyrics too, they scan nicely and considering some of the egregiously boneheaded shit bono's been doing with lyrics lately (e.g. "the best thing that ever happened a boy"), that line is pretty harmless imo.

and it's clearly just a one-off single to commemorate their first time in india, so it's surely not worth getting upset if you don't like it. it's not like you'll be forced to hear it on the radio or in shops or whatever.

i was going to make a post last night about how i've been glancing at the "today's birthdays" section of the main forum page now and then over the last few days, and the lowest age on there that i've seen is 29 (for a login that was created in 2006 when the person was 15 years old, they made four posts and vanished).

i think that says something interesting both about this place and about U2 in 2019, but the reason i never made the post is because i was stoned and couldn't figure out exactly what that "something interesting" was, couldn't decide whether it actually was "something interesting" or if i was just really baked, and then i forgot all about it when halftime of the raptors game ended.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure Cobbler is the same age, and is one of the more active members of this part of the forum. And he has a lady, a job (until recently) etc.

But I agree with your general sentiment. There aren’t a lot of Gen Z folks here, that’s for sure.

It means we're fucking old now.

Like legit old as fuck.

Which also means U2 is really really fucking old

I actually like this song quite a bit, and I’d totally be cool with an entire album with this kind of atmosphere. And this is coming from someone whose current music taste ranges from hard rock to death metal.

Like the atmosphere, don't like the song.

And I mean there's literally nothing to discuss about U2 at this point. I'm sure if this was a real single, sure, but this throwaway song, in the midst of a rehashed tour of an anniversary of an album, with maybe the least info we've ever had for an upcoming album, is a pretty perfect storm for a U2snoozefest.

I like the “this is a meditation on your radio station”, sorry. Considering recent lyrical atrocities he’s committed this is pretty benign.

Also, and I say this as someone who was very critical about a fair portion of the last two albums, it’s clear that some people are never going to be pleased at this point, and they’d be better off with a different hobby instead of coming here on the regular.

"It's benign compared to atrocities" is a sick burn.
I thought SOE was 3/4 good and 1/4 garbage. This new song is garbage. It's not offensive like American Soul but it's still bad. The effects to smooth out Bono's vocals and increase their power are obviously there for those reasons. Edge is doing nothing interesting - how can he not be bored playing the way he's playing? The other two...it's a shame they're not more prominent. I like that it's not blatantly commercial but it's still a bad song.

I just stumbled upon the 20 second clip they posted on Twitter. I listened once. Same feeling as I got when I heard the first 20 seconds of Grace: this is dogshit.

Once I find the full song I’ll give it a shot, but I can’t imagine listening to it more than once.

Not a big fan of Bono's vocals, but yeah, far from bad. Like the music, the collaboration, and will be cool to see them debut it in their first Indian show!

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure Cobbler is the same age, and is one of the more active members of this part of the forum. And he has a lady, a job (until recently) etc.

But I agree with your general sentiment. There aren’t a lot of Gen Z folks here, that’s for sure.

:up:

the new song sounds... girly.

you're a fucking idiot.

It did evoke a kind of 'what happned next' feeling after Book of Your Heart when I listened to it. I find it perfectly fine for what it is; celebrating their first time playing in India.

Back
Top Bottom