New U2 Album Discussion (alt title: Lose Your Will To Live Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they should do a launch on the first SA tour date and do a download-only release at that time. live nation wouldn't care.

put the URL up on the video screen for all to download. then people will tweet about it and all hell will break loose.

They are going to release something.
It's only a question of how many songs, in my mind.

Don't believe me? Put together one legitimate reason (that isn't easily refutable) they'd work with DM in late '10 and early '11 and then sit on it for (at least) two years. I don't think you can.

And if you can't...then we know U2 is not oblivious.
We'll get songs (hopefully more than one - scratch that - hopefully more than eight).

They are going to release something.
It's only a question of how many songs, in my mind.

Don't believe me? Put together one legitimate reason they'd work with DM in late '10 and early '11 and then sit on it for (at least) two years. I don't think you can.

And if you can't...then we know U2 is not oblivious.
We'll get songs (hopefully more than one - scratch that - hopefully more than eight).

see also Nellee Hooper, Chris Thomas, and Rick Rubin

Dropping Danger Mouse is the worst thing worst U2 can do if they want to stay "relevant".

Dropping Danger Mouse is the worst thing worst U2 can do if they want to stay "relevant".

Absolutely. Which is why I'm afraid of them doing that.

At the same time, coming out with a really bad album would kill U2 too, regardless of who produces it.

see also Nellee Hooper, Chris Thomas, and Rick Rubin

All three are different.

Nellee Hooper only moved on because U2 were taking too long, and he had another large, un-shiftable commitment. Chris Thomas was to Atomic Bomb as Eno/Lanois are to this. Meaning, they began in one direction with one producer, shifted direction and shifted producer. They started this album with a foundation of stuff done with Eno/Lanois, and somewhere along the line it changes, and they're finishing it with Danger Mouse.

Rick Rubin - The intention of that session was always just to be a bit of mutual feeling each other out. They didn't go into that to make an album at all. Perhaps only happened at all because they had a couple of things they needed to do (Saints + U218 extra track), and I wouldn't mind guessing it was specifically him tapped for the job because his style/'sound' would be a good match for the potentially messy mixing of two bands on Saints. But he is who he is, and they've thought about him before, now they've got him, and they've got a bit of time, why not mess around a bit and see how it goes? Went so-so, so what?

All three are different.

Nellee Hooper only moved on because U2 were taking too long, and he had another large, un-shiftable commitment. Chris Thomas was to Atomic Bomb as Eno/Lanois are to this. Meaning, they began in one direction with one producer, shifted direction and shifted producer. They started this album with a foundation of stuff done with Eno/Lanois, and somewhere along the line it changes, and they're finishing it with Danger Mouse.

Rick Rubin - The intention of that session was always just to be a bit of mutual feeling each other out. They didn't go into that to make an album at all. Perhaps only happened at all because they had a couple of things they needed to do (Saints + U218 extra track), and I wouldn't mind guessing it was specifically him tapped for the job because his style/'sound' would be a good match for the potentially messy mixing of two bands on Saints. But he is who he is, and they've thought about him before, now they've got him, and they've got a bit of time, why not mess around a bit and see how it goes? Went so-so, so what?

i agree with you but all i was saying in the broad sense, is that U2 has worked with different producers only to leave the material aside. i don't think this will happen with dm but if an announcement was made that after some thought, something didn't feel right with the DM material and u2 was going to revisit it after the tour i would be disappointed but not surprised. your points are taken that all three other producers were different projects and circumstances but with u2, one never knows.

They didn't leave the Hooper or Thomas material aside though - we've got Pop and Atomic Bomb. Rubin yes, but it was a different thing.

Obviously, I get what you're saying though. This is U2. It would definitely surprise me now though, given how far they've gone with Danger Mouse. Not just a couple of weeks of messing around, as per Rubin. If it wasn't working, or didn't feel right, it would have been dropped or shifted on some time ago.

They didn't leave the Hooper or Thomas material aside though - we've got Pop and Atomic Bomb. Rubin yes, but it was a different thing.

Obviously, I get what you're saying though. This is U2. It would definitely surprise me now though, given how far they've gone with Danger Mouse. Not just a couple of weeks of messing around, as per Rubin. If it wasn't working, or didn't feel right, it would have been dropped or shifted on some time ago.

I agree-yeah the pop and ab stuff did come out...just sooner rather than later...the rubin stuff may see the light of day someday, but who the hell knows, maybe NS was from those sessions. we know its been around since bomb (per MW smith speaking about it)

I'm sure we'll see some of that 'Rubin' material, but it probably won't be produced by Rubin. And of course, Boy Falls From the Sky was a song they tried in those sessions. And they strip songs for parts all the time too, or they completely evolve. You might just recognise a riff or lyric from one of the Rubin-era 'beach clips' in something in the future, or it might be a whole, re-worked song.

they should do a launch on the first SA tour date and do a download-only release at that time. live nation wouldn't care.

put the URL up on the video screen for all to download. then people will tweet about it and all hell will break loose.
That would be brilliant and would create an insane amount of hype.

So, of course, they won't do it.

Wowwwww someone needs to call Bono and tell him this.

Drunken McGuinness Leaks Tracklisting for U2's Upcoming EP 'How to Bomb The Project 360 Monster' - Fake Edge

Tracklisting:
1. Vertigo
2. In a Little While (live from the International Space Station)
3. Stuck in A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (acoustic version)
4. North Star (Milan rehearsal 2010)
5. Vertigo (featuring Will.i.am, Justin Bieber, Mary J Blidge, & Jay-Z)
6. Vertigo (Monster Mouse Mix)
7. Vertigo (live from the set of "Two & a Half Men")
8. MERCY*

*BONUS TRACK for U2 dot Com Paid Subscribers

My guess is they will pull some sort of stunt - with the single debut/album announcement wrapped in one. Something fast, sudden. But not with the album proper. They'll follow a fairly normal route for that. And with the particulars of what they do with single debut/album announcement, I think giving practically no notice rather than aaaaaages is perhaps the only shift we'll see from them. I think they'll still be quite firmly in the BIGPROMOTION frame of mind, not so much "So we just whisper something to one person, and then within a couple of hours Twitter will take care of the rest!" but still a bit more "Can we land the 747 in Times Square?"

My guess is that we won't see something until next year, or the year after that.

They're probably being very careful, after the way their last two albums were taken critically.

It's this year in my mind. Earnie Shavers has a unique take on it and that's my forecast as well. In too deep to drop out now. They need to take advantage of 360 and its publicity as well. Not shut the whole thing down for 18 months after 360 ends, only to resurface older, fatter, and less "relevant" in the attention deficit world we live in with a new Get on Your Vertigo type single. I have a shaky faith that there is a plan. Otherwise, what a freakin cock-up.

Fuck yeah, Adam was awesome on No Line. Larry was great too. They should have kicked out Bono and Edge and made a new band with Eno and Lanois. Edge sounded like he was sleeping through it; the guitar playing is really uninspired and full of Edge cliches. It's hard to believe he used to be one of the best guitarists on earth.

I hope Adam continues to kick it. They need to boost him in the mix, and lower Bono.

The album with danger mouse will be out by the summer. What I really want is Songs of Ascent, though. Everything they've said about it makes it sound like the record I think they were born to make. Oh well! Maybe the leather pants have poisoned Bono. That would explain the poor decisions.

Interesting...

twitteru2.png

Steve Lillywhite (Sillywhite) on Twitter

Reeve Carney tweeted about a Spiderman EP today as well. There's no way the Lillywhite tweet can be about anything else, otherwise he would have said "U2" and not "Bono and Edge."

It's this year in my mind. Earnie Shavers has a unique take on it and that's my forecast as well. In too deep to drop out now. They need to take advantage of 360 and its publicity as well. Not shut the whole thing down for 18 months after 360 ends, only to resurface older, fatter, and less "relevant" in the attention deficit world we live in with a new Get on Your Vertigo type single. I have a shaky faith that there is a plan. Otherwise, what a freakin cock-up.

That's a great point, i don't think it would do their 'relevancy' any good if they were to hype an album up like this and then just drop it and wait another 5 years, especially considering the world was rather unimpressed with NLOTH, and even the band seem to be doing a 'Pop' with it (i.e. distancing themselves from it).
I think making a clean break from the 00's albums is required, and maybe that would be best after the tour, but considering how much they've talked about quick follow ups, and how much spiderman seems to be messing up, i think it would do the band some real good to get some hits out there.

Hollow Island, i agree with you about Edge - i really loved NLOTH, but Edge was just incredibly unimpressive. I want to see some more great riffs, crazy effects, and kickass solos, damn it!

I agree with someone above who said U2 will still do quite a bit of promotion for this album. The fact that Danger Mouse/Will.I.Am/David Guetta/Whoever else worked on this album will get people paying attention who normally wouldn't care, and they'll want to get the word out.

U2 need this.. badly. It needs to be good, it needs to have a hit, and it needs to save them from Dad Rock, if possible. At this moment, U2 are extremely uncool and out of step with pop culture. To simply NOT release ANYTHING and just go on playing this lame ass setlist and collect another 100M+ would be nothing short of lazy, and ruin their CRED even further.

A DJ at our local classic rock station was giving away tickets to the Pittsburgh show the other day, and said "if for some God awful reason anybody would want to go to this show, we're giving away a couple of tickets". Jokes on him b/c U2 will probably have 60K at that show, meanwhile his precious Skynyrd are playing at a 3K seat amphitheater in Dayton, which probably won't sell out. But that shows you what U2's image is like to the general public at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom