New U2 Album Discussion (alt title: Lose Your Will To Live Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most hipsters have never heard Passengers. Basically no one has heard Passengers.
And that is why it is the most hipster-ish U2 album of them all. 20 years from now, when U2 have retired and have become cool again, we'll be able to brag to the newly-minted fans that "we were listening to Original Soundtracks 1 before it was cool."

Unless they don't automatically become cool again by retiring, in which case we'll look like idiots.

every day I sit at my desk at work for 8 hours..

every once in a while, I take a break, and search for U2 in Google's news search engine.. hoping to see that one new article, that one new bit of news on a new record.

:sigh:

me not intelligent

every day I sit at my desk at work for 8 hours..

every once in a while, I take a break, and search for U2 in Google's news search engine.. hoping to see that one new article, that one new bit of news on a new record.

:sigh:

me not intelligent

Me not intelligent too . Looking for albumnews more than a year and listening to lies of possible release dates. I remember a quote, I think it's from Paul MG, kinda ' a new album out sooner than anyone thinks'. I've never waited so long for an album to be released. He makes a fool of himself. What are they doing? In 8 weeks it's May already, so I think a new album is not in the shops or to be downloaded in that month.

In comparison, NLOTH - even if it is the best of the decade, and the best U2 record in a long while - doesn't have *that massive song, and the tour, though innovative, again, isn't as liked as Elevation was. So maybe if the singles don't work any more..it's time to get back to making albums rather than collection of songs.

I felt your post was very well presented and I agree with almost all of your statements, except the above.

While I concur that NLOTH is the best U2 I've heard since AB and, to my ears, is very TUF in nature, I disagree that the tour isn't as "well liked".

So I have to ask - how have you come to this conclusion?

I enjoyed the Elevation tour quite a bit. However, I have loved every show I've attended on this tour - in fact, I have enjoyed them more than any tour since ZOO TV. Given the massive success of this tour, it appears that fans around the world have enjoyed this tour enormously.

Also, while NLOTH has a few exceptions, it is the most "album" like record U2 have made in a long time - possibly since AB. All albums have that token odd song or two that doesn't quite blend in. Sometimes that is intentional. But when a so-so fan of U2 that I know listened to NLOTH for the first time, he actually really liked GOYB feeling it was a great rock track that helped mix up the overall sound.

My point is that we can't judge too much by what the fanatics here write. Die-hards are not the views of the overall fan. :)

I remember a quote, I think it's from Paul MG, kinda ' a new album out sooner than anyone thinks'. I've never waited so long for an album to be released. He makes a fool of himself.

Given that the time between:
  • TUF and JT was 3 years;
  • JT and AB was 4.5 years (if you count R&H, then 3 years);
  • Zooropa and Pop was about 4 years;
  • Pop and ATYCLB was 3.5 years;
  • ATYCLB and HTDAAB was 4 years;
  • HTDAAB and NLOTH was 4.5 years,
if U2 release an album this year, it would be record-breakingly fast.

For U2. :)

From that perspective, McGuinness is completely right. After all, it would only be 2+ years. And in truth, that's a normal pace for many artists these days. Add in the worldwide tour and Bono's surgery, 2+ years is actually quite an accomplishment!

That doesn't mean it can't be ironically cool. :wink:

or the awesome phrase "anti-cool"

anti+cool+done.bmp

Its really pathetic, they're on tour without an album to promote, why? Just release something, you're on tour anyway!

I certainly agree with your point. Unfortunately, U2 have rarely played a lot of new material before releasing the album. That said, U2 did release "Zooropa" prior to continuing the Zoo tour. And on this tour, they have played quite a few new songs.

I think it's our impatience more than U2. As I wrote in my post above, it's "only" been 2 years. Given that U2 have showcased 3 or so new songs not ever released, this suggests a new album is definitely forthcoming. And with no disrespect to other countries or continents, it seems the return to North America may be the time to release it.

If not, I guess there's always the holiday season.

Boy-October, October-War, War-Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree-Rattle & Hum (granted some may exclude R&H), Achtung Baby-Zooropa, and if you count it, Passengers-Pop, all trump a hypothetical NLOTH-???? release gap.

Boy-October, October-War, War-Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree-Rattle & Hum (granted some may exclude R&H), Achtung Baby-Zooropa, and if you count it, Passengers-Pop, all trump a hypothetical NLOTH-???? release gap.

I was being very sarcastic. :) Young U2 released albums quickly. But from TUF on, U2 haven't exactly been fast with their releases (barring AB-Zooropa).

OS1 can break up the string some if you count it as U2. However, I have a hard time doing so. There's a lot of instrumental or mostly instrumental tracks, guests artists and ambient music that is really more reflective of Eno than U2.

original soundtracks will never be cool

In 20 years, it could be the "lost" U2 album. And from that perspective, it could have a "coolness" about it.

It's like that terrible album that has a naked Lennon and Ono on the cover. Ono's singing - God bless her - is horrific. The the release is "cool" because they are naked on it.

Given that the time between:
  • TUF and JT was 3 years;
  • JT and AB was 4.5 years (if you count R&H, then 3 years);
  • Zooropa and Pop was about 4 years;
  • Pop and ATYCLB was 3.5 years;
  • ATYCLB and HTDAAB was 4 years;
  • HTDAAB and NLOTH was 4.5 years,

For U2. :)

From that perspective, McGuinness is completely right. After all, it would only be 2+ years. And in truth, that's a normal pace for many artists these days. Add in the worldwide tour and Bono's surgery, 2+ years is actually quite an accomplishment!

I know the gap between NLOTH and the forthcoming one is not too big (for now of course), but after all the promises to release an album or albums soon, the wait takes very long. I can remember delays of albums, but I think we should/could have had an album for almost a year now. The band have so many songs on the shelves (or they're lying again) and had a lot of time to put them in a particular order. And if it's a failure, so what? Their name is big enough to keep them on top of the world as a band. I hope so they don't make a rock-album in the line of HTDAAB or ATYCLB, although these records are quite good. They need CHANGE.:lol:

On a serious note, I'd like to propose the option of closing this thread until there is real news, which members could PM to a moderator to advise them to re-open this thread with. But I know it ain't gonna happen.

How awesome would it be if it turned out that 'Maybe' is the name of the album, and 'We'll see' is the lead single?
It would turn out that the album info was staring us in the face since that interview in south africa :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom