New album talk - Album coming SOON to a galaxy near you!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is, the last three albums are generally considered (by the "audience") to be in the lower tier of U2's catalog.

Project your opinion on others much? Wow... Your finger is the one off the pulse.

Listen, it's not that I agree or disagree, but U2 won a whole new very large audience with ATYCLB and Bomb, you're naive to think everyone agrees with you on their catalog.

Project your opinion on others much? Wow... Your finger is the one off the pulse.

Listen, it's not that I agree or disagree, but U2 won a whole new very large audience with ATYCLB and Bomb, you're naive to think everyone agrees with you on their catalog.

Having won audience doesn't mean they won artistic recognition. The overall public/casual-fans, whether older or younger, do not recognize ATYCLB, HTDAAB or NLOTH among U2's holy grails.

If the album was done, they wouldn't be in the studio right now.

Not necessarily. You can always re-record a "finished" track. You can work on a B-side. You can start something else. They do have 5 years of writing without releasing an album. I imagine they have a lot of material to play with. But if they are playing the damn thing for people, there must be a damn thing.

This is marginally more interesting than that interview.

Check out Bono's Bill Clinton impression - YouTube

Watching Bono being BFF's with Christine**bitch-just-look-at-my-beautiful-Hermès-purse-and-my-Dior-outfit-while-I-suck-your-money-and-make-you-live-as-a-third-world-country-again**Lagarde just makes me want to vomit. This is exactly what I hate on Bono.
Get your a$$ back on studio to do something really worthy and just leave these tragic-comedies, please.

Having won audience doesn't mean they won artistic recognition. The overall public/casual-fans, whether older or younger, do not recognize ATYCLB, HTDAAB or NLOTH among U2's holy grails.

Artistic recognition and overall casual fan? I'm sorry, but you're disconnected if you believe this.

Not necessarily. You can always re-record a "finished" track. You can work on a B-side. You can start something else. They do have 5 years of writing without releasing an album. I imagine they have a lot of material to play with. But if they are playing the damn thing for people, there must be a damn thing.

I'm just going by what's been given to us:

"We're lost in the music"
"We hope to have the album done by the end of the year"
"We're waiting for God to enter the studio"

And the fact that they're in the studio right now. The fact that they're playing some of the music for people doesn't mean a thing. They've always done this whether it be inviting fans in the studio or Bono's car.....as we all know, blasting new songs in an unfinished form on the beach.

Unless it is TJT or AB, does any album really count as one of the "holy grails" though? Anything other than those two would be completely subjective (and even then, some might not even like those two that much).

Unless it is TJT or AB, does any album really count as one of the "holy grails" though? Anything other than those two would be completely subjective (and even then, some might not even like those two that much).

Well, the term "Holy Grail" is being used incorrectly in this context. A "Holy Grail" is something long sought after, but never attained....e.g. a high quality pro-shot of one of the Point Depot Lovetown shows is a "holy grail" for a lot of U2 fans.

And in any event, it's all subjective. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Except for TUF being U2's greatest record. That, of course, is non-debatable. :)

Agreed. A lot of the people adore at least one of those records, if not all three. I'd say at least 50% of the people at any given U2 concert would count one of those albums among their all time U2 favourites.

Amid the tumultuous shitstorm that has been this thread, this is just about the only statement that feels good. I'm jumping on your bandwagon. If we're wrong, a least we won't have been moping around like miserable sourpusses until there's official word. Choosing to remain optimistic is most likely better for the soul.

Either that, or you (and that's a rhetorical you) could not base your optimism or pessimism, or outlook on life on whether U2 ever releases another record or not. Unless you're just, um, personally attached to the band on an unhealthy level. If you start wearing a cap around like the Edge and your not bald, or wander the streets dressed like Bono, then maybe you're a little too close.

Of course, we're all participating on this website to one degree or another, so that in itself denotes some amount of interest and attachment to the band beyond that of the average person, but basing your mood on a rock bands release schedule is not a good way to go through life, which is good no matter what U2 does. :)

Well, the term "Holy Grail" is being used incorrectly in this context. A "Holy Grail" is something long sought after, but never attained....e.g. a high quality pro-shot of one of the Point Depot Lovetown shows is a "holy grail" for a lot of U2 fans.

And in any event, it's all subjective. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Except for TUF being U2's greatest record. That, of course, is non-debatable. :)

Holy Grail is a Jay Z song

And the fact that they're in the studio right now. The fact that they're playing some of the music for people doesn't mean a thing. They've always done this whether it be inviting fans in the studio or Bono's car.....as we all know, blasting new songs in an unfinished form on the beach.

Yeah, that's all completely reasonable. I don't know what is happening, but I feel like I'm getting mixed messages. Bono looks like he's ready to tour tomorrow, people whose opinions don't matter are getting to hear the album, and there's something fishy going on about Bono not being allowed to talk release date.

Well, we'll either have a new album in 2 months or 14..... (or 26, I guess.)

I mean. this is kind of like Ricky Bobby. If you're not first, you're last!

well, the album can come out in February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November. There's no reason to expect it in 2 months. And there's no reason to say ok, it's definitely going to be a year from now.

Yeah, that's all completely reasonable. I don't know what is happening, but I feel like I'm getting mixed messages. Bono looks like he's ready to tour tomorrow, people whose opinions don't matter are getting to hear the album, and there's something fishy going on about Bono not being allowed to talk release date.

I'm guessing it will either be 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, or 42 months.

Kingofsorrow broke the thread

:wave: i'd like to thank all the people that supported me thru this trying time. it was..........................lemme tell y'all, it was a long journey. a musical journey. when a band................a man................a woman........... is at a certain stage.....................you ah............ah hell i don't know.
STOP THE TRAFFIC!

While it is purely subjective (all art is), I would posit that you could still make intelligent inferences as to which albums are staples in U2's legacy, and the ones that fall short. For instance, there are folks who prefer Bomb over TUF, or NLOTH over TJT, but you wouldn't expect that to be the dominant consensus within the U2 audience. At the very least, it would be surprising. U2 themselves probably recognize this, hence why they appear to be in such a tail-spin right now.

Unlesssss, they're deliberately trying to make us think that they're not done, so they can surprise everyone with a sudden release in november? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Here is Bono with the only person who the band has shown the release date to.

d8d57261-bb2a-3fbe-9237-85e67bdf8db3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom