New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth talk about subjective but then talk as if things are fact? Believe it or not there is probably a sizeable fan base who prefer ATYCLB to AB!

And there have already been so many mentioning how they like the magic marker line are they wrong?

Maybe, but I actually think their release dates have more to do with scheduling around family and other commitments. They're not a full time band like they were in the 80's and early 90's.

Perhaps...but the inability to complete any of the three rumored albums makes me think it had more to do with them trying to find a certain sound. Which would be wonderful if the end product justified the delay - hence my sense of fear with Ordinary Love.

Also, the desire to write the "perfect pop song" quotes weren't exactly exciting to hear....

How on earth talk about subjective but then talk as if things are fact? Believe it or not there is probably a sizeable fan base who prefer ATYCLB to AB!

And there have already been so many mentioning how they like the magic marker line are they wrong?

True - some will think ATYCLB is better than AB. Just like some people think Rob Roy was better than Braveheart. What can you do?

More than perhaps. I have 1 and have no free time. I can't imagine a group of guys with 12 or 13 between them getting much of anything done.

They've been in and out of the studios quite a bit over the past few years. As a father of two, I certainly agree that parenting takes away "free" time - but it doesn't cut into "work" time that often.

The national sound like coldplay. Everyone sounds like coldplay. Except coldplay. They sound like u2

:lmao:

Because it's been a day since it was released and the negativity is already starting to kick in

You still have not answered PhilsFan's very valid question. Why should you care at all how others feel over here? Don't you have a mind of your own?? What does it matter if a bunch of people are being negative about new U2. As long as you enjoy it, what does it matter if some others don't like it?

Also, the desire to write the "perfect pop song" quotes weren't exactly exciting to hear....

you want the band to challenge themselves. THIS is the biggest challenge that a band could face. to write a Hey Jude, Satisfaction, What's Going On, Billie Jean, Teen Spirit.

to write a timeless pop song.

there is no greater challenge for a pop act like U2. they've been trying for 30+ years, and they want to keep trying.

fuck, that's amazing.

:lmao:

You still have not answered PhilsFan's very valid question. Why should you care at all how others feel over here? Don't you have a mind of your own?? What does it matter if a bunch of people are being negative about new U2. As long as you enjoy it, what does it matter if some others don't like it?

I believe many of us are attracted to U2 because of their universality. there's no greater joy than seeing tens of thousands of fans freaking out as Streets starts, then realizing that you're freaking the f out too! :panic:

it has nothing to do with not having a mind of one's own. it's wanting to share in something bigger than us.

it's also a joy we'll feel when the new album is released, and most of us are freaking out and having fun posting here. I mean, we come here to commune dont we? why else are you here?

I believe many of us are attracted to U2 because of their universality. there's no greater joy than seeing tens of thousands of fans freaking out as Streets starts, then realizing that you're freaking the f out too! :panic: it has nothing to do with not having a mind of one's own. it's wanting to share in something bigger than us. it's also a joy we'll feel when the new album is released, and most of us are freaking out and having fun posting here. I mean, we come here to commune dont we? why else are you here?

Bingo, I was trying to think of a way of putting it without sounding silly, but yes I want to come here and share excitement of new U2 m

you want the band to challenge themselves. THIS is the biggest challenge that a band could face. to write a Hey Jude, Satisfaction, What's Going On, Billie Jean, Teen Spirit.

to write a timeless pop song.

there is no greater challenge for a pop act like U2. they've been trying for 30+ years, and they want to keep trying.

fuck, that's amazing.

It's not something you can make happen - it's something that involves many factors, and timing is a huge part of it. Do you really think Nirvana sat down and worked on that song until they knew it would be one the most iconic songs of the 90's? Wasn't Hey Jude written in minutes? There's no way of predicting how the world will respond to any given song - so why chase it? If there was a "way" to do it, more would do it. Go for the sound you want, the song you want - and let everything else just happen.

I remember reading the first reviews of JT, and they essentially said, "great record - no obvious hits." Yet to this day it is their most popular record with their only two #1 US hits. There's no way anyone could predict a song like With or Without You would be as big a hit as it ended up being. There was nothing like that on the radio at the time.

There is no amount of formula or effort that makes a song/record universally timeless - (yes, there are certainly formulas for throwaway hits - but they are not the timeless classics we're discussing).

It's not something you can make happen - it's something that involves many factors, and timing is a huge part of it. Do you really think Nirvana sat down and worked on that song until they knew it would be one the most iconic songs of the 90's? Wasn't Hey Jude written in minutes? There's no way of predicting how the world will respond to any given song - so why chase it? If there was a "way" to do it, more would do it. Go for the sound you want, the song you want - and let everything else just happen.

actually I think for those two songs in particular, the aim was to create a big song pop songs.

I absolutely respect your opinion though, and understand where you're coming from.

still, it's a lot of fun if you dig the pop side of U2. just sayin' :wink:

Word.

I believe many of us are attracted to U2 because of their universality. there's no greater joy than seeing tens of thousands of fans freaking out as Streets starts, then realizing that you're freaking the f out too! :panic:

it has nothing to do with not having a mind of one's own. it's wanting to share in something bigger than us.

it's also a joy we'll feel when the new album is released, and most of us are freaking out and having fun posting here. I mean, we come here to commune dont we? why else are you here?

After all - who here doesn't want another U2 masterpiece?

Also - the "magic marker" line is yet another odd commonplace item thrown into a lyric that just seems anti-poetic (in the spirit of...heavy like a truck, high-rises on their backs, ATM machine, force quit, cockatoo, newborn baby's head, tuna fleets, mouthful of teeth, ...and the entire lyric of songs like Boots and Playboy Mansion).

While I agree with you overall, NLOTH, to me, was a brilliant album. NLOTH had some songs that I wish never existed (looking at you, "Crazy Tonight") but the live version of the song rocked. JT and AB, often worshiped, did have flaws. So it is subjective.

While the lyric "ATM machine" is obviously redundant, to say it's not poetic may be inaccurate. It flows with the lyrics and the content of the song. It's like when artists incorrectly state "you and me" or "you and I". Or like when artists try to use "again" as a rhyming word against any "ain" sounding word (like "pain"). It's not perfect, but it flows.

The "heavy as a truck" line gets a lot of abuse. Overlooked are some of the beautiful lyrics:
"You're kept awake dreaming someone else's dream;
Coffee is cold but it'll get you through; Compromise that's nothing new to you."

I especially like the part of the refrain that states,
"You're in my mind all of the time, I know that's not enough."
It seems that some pick one half of a couplet and declare the song the worst thing ever, while ignoring the majestic aspects of the rest of the piece.

With that in mind, the "magic marker" line, while different for Bono, flows with the song.

I think that for so many years, Bono wrote very abstractly. His lyrics were poetic. But how many more "skies", "kneels", etc. can the man use? Instead of abstract, or completely abstract, he is using terms that are more common and colloquial. Nothing wrong with that. Poetry takes on all forms. Is it different for Bono? Yes. But that doesn't make it worse.

Sure, but what's their Let It Be then? What's their Yesterday? What's their Blackbird? What's their In My Life? I think U2 since 2000 have been very focused on competing with The Beatles. That's not a bad thing IMO.

ISHFWILF is their Hey Jude.

I happen to like the magic marker line. It may be kind of goofy. At least, it doesn't offend my sensibilities. Neither did ATM machine. I love that line, in fact. We're living in a real and modern world here, so what's wrong with U2's lyrics referencing that? But "heavy as a truck" is downright fucking awful. That's pure laziness. Bono's been guilty of this shit more often down the years. "Soldier brings oranges he GOT OUT FROM a tank" threatens to ruin an otherwise awesome song.

Overlooked are some of the beautiful lyrics:
"You're kept awake dreaming someone else's dream;
I especially like the part of the refrain that states,
"You're in my mind all of the time, I know that's not enough."

I agree - those are TERRIFIC lines. And most of their songs in the 00's also had terrific lines - only to be undone by WTF moments...

True - you can only be abstract for so long. But I don't want to hear about ingrown toenails either.

I'd say "One" is a whole new category. Everyone else is searching for their "One."

I'm looking at you Fake Plastic Trees and Chasing Cars and The Scientist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom