New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The national sound like coldplay. Everyone sounds like coldplay. Except coldplay. They sound like u2

And you win the thread yet again. :applaud:

I once saw someone at Atease (yes, I visit there every once in a while) call The National the "Barritone Coldplay". I LOL'd.

:doh: Atease is a place I go to when I need to make Interference feel normal.

Good post and I agree with you on most part. There are some U2 songs I wasn't that keen on when I first heard them and that I do love now....but 90% of the time those were totally opposite of Ordinary Love. Those were 'challenging' songs, not very easy listeners. I rank some of them as favourite by now. However, Ordinary Love is just not the type of song I like when it comes down to U2. I listened about 10 times and it's still as boring as the first time, I'll try it again within a few days, but I know the answer already....

But you gave it a chance. That's good! :applaud:

I didn't like Ordinary Love at all upon the first listen (which was the movie recording). Hearing it a few times on good speakers made me appreciate it a LOT more.

I agree that it will never rank amongst my favorite songs or even favorite U2 songs. It is reminiscent of Electrical Storm and WITS, IMO. Both slower love songs that were more or less used to help promote something. Neither song was horrible, but neither was great. Ordinary Love seems to compliment those two well.

I like the song. It's solid, not quite great. Like others have said, after listening to it again, I feel the end is truncated for some reason. I feel like the 'Are we tough enough' part is supposed to come back, or something else besides a fade out is supposed to occur at the end. It would help complete the song to me; I feel it just sort of ends as it is.

Production is encouraging, and the hook is great. It's easy to get the song stuck in your head.

The Coldplay/One Direction/whatever else comparisons are also ridiculous. Even if it did sound like Coldplay, who cares? If the song is a good song, it's a good song. I don't really care who it evokes. And it doesn't even sound like Coldplay to me anyway, it sounds more like 80s U2 meets 00s a bit. Shocking, a U2 song sounds like U2.

Space Moon approves. But nobody has raked up the f'ing leaves yet.

Why does The National need to have given The Fly for him to like them more than U2? He was making two separate points.

(And The National has been better than U2 since Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, and has been my favorite band over U2 for over three years. It's not outrageous for him to think so.)

Our common ground...knew there had to be some somewhere :)

Agreed, The National has not given me The Fly. Perhaps because I have not needed them to. Their music has evolved in way that it somehow hasn't seemed necessary. Sort of like REM until Adventures in Hi-Fi.

They are different bands. I get that. The National does not have the history, popularity, or expectations of a band like U2. And I can't say what I was expecting from U2. But I can say I was hoping to hear an attitude that U2 didn't care if it got played on the pop stations anymore. It's so strange - that U2 seems to be trying SO HARD to be relevant - the actual opposite is happening.

Why should they need to challange themselves now though?, surely they should just be doing what they want at this stage in their lives?

They should WANT to challenge themselves. Great artists do that.

They should WANT to challenge themselves. Great artists do that.

But they always have many times, I think they should be allowed to make whatever type of music they want to make, they owe us sod all so if they actually want to sound like U2 then good on them, they have every right.

Still amuses me the fact we see so many people posting in a NEW album thread about how they haven't liked much of what the band has done since 1997!!!

With THIS song? No way I get a sense of that. Hopefully the actual album is nothing like this...and my fears will be eased.

This type of quote gets my back up a little why should you have "fears"? If you don't like it then you don't like it,

It's so strange - that U2 seems to be trying SO HARD to be relevant - the actual opposite is happening.

Putting out singles like "Get On Your Boots" and "Ordinary Love" hardly tells me the band is really fighting all that hard for relevance.

The lack of new material over the past 5 years also undercuts and idea that they're trying "so hard" to be relevant.

I know the press reports lots of quotes and such, but when you look at what they're actually doing, there's nothing there.

If that's what you got out of my conversation then you missed my point ENTIRELY... Or you're just doing your normal strawman case. Either way, I'm bored.

You're bored? I have something to for you to fix it... Instead of diverting attentions by discussing why me and other fans do not treat our other idols the same way we do to U2, you and others should be discussing for instance why has Bono become a parodic caricature of his satiric Zoo Tv alter-egos or why has the band progressively been losing substance, artistic vision among other things without using age as an excuse. Just my tip for you not to be so bored.

(Sorry if that strategy of comparison with the other black sheeps' idols, here and on the "Ordinary Song" specific thread, didn't work :up:)

You're bored? I have something to for you to fix it... Instead of diverting attentions by discussing why me and other fans do not treat our other idols the same way we do to U2, you and others should be discussing for instance why has Bono become a parodic caricature of his satiric Zoo Tv alter-egos or why has the band progressively been losing substance, artistic vision among other things without using age as an excuse. Just my tip for you not to be so bored. (Sorry if that strategy of comparison with the other black sheeps' idols, here and on the "Ordinary Song" specific thread, didn't work :up:)

All in your opinion please don't speak for me thanks

But you gave it a chance. That's good! :applaud:

I didn't like Ordinary Love at all upon the first listen (which was the movie recording). Hearing it a few times on good speakers made me appreciate it a LOT more.

I agree that it will never rank amongst my favorite songs or even favorite U2 songs. It is reminiscent of Electrical Storm and WITS, IMO. Both slower love songs that were more or less used to help promote something. Neither song was horrible, but neither was great. Ordinary Love seems to compliment those two well.

Sure, my opinion hasn't changed since I heard the 1 minute trailer, but I always listen to a new U2 song multiple times. Electrical Storm is great, even though they had troubles performing the song, it was a nice surprise they played it @ 360.

Sure, my opinion hasn't changed since I heard the 1 minute trailer, but I always listen to a new U2 song multiple times. Electrical Storm is great, even though they had troubles performing the song, it was a nice surprise they played it @ 360.

I was there in Milan when they played it, I had tears, it's one of the songs I really love and I never expected them to play it live. They messed it up partly, though the beginning was good, but I guess they couldn't really figure out how to play it properly and didn't bother any more. Shame they dropped it so early. Sometimes I just wish they would try harder when it comes to adding new live songs to the set and not just give up so quickly.

I was there in Milan when they played it, I had tears, it's one of the songs I really love and I never expected them to play it live. They messed it up partly, though the beginning was good, but I guess they couldn't really figure out how to play it properly and didn't bother any more. Shame they dropped it so early. Sometimes I just wish they would try harder when it comes to adding new live songs to the set and not just give up so quickly.

If only they had kept Drowning Man from the rehearsals too. :drool:

This type of quote gets my back up a little why should you have "fears"? If you don't like it then you don't like it,

More importantly, who cares if he has fears? He can post 1000x how much he may hate the new album. But if I like it, I like it. His comments won't sway me one way or the other.

Also, I'm not sure what type of "challenge" people want from U2. AB had hints of JT and R&H in it. JT had hints of War in it. Pop had hints of AB and JT in it. ATYCLB had hints of Zooropa in it. All of this means that U2 will play around with their own sound to varying degrees - but ultimately, it still is U2.

Putting out singles like "Get On Your Boots" and "Ordinary Love" hardly tells me the band is really fighting all that hard for relevance.
I certainly think that U2 thought "Boots" was going to be a hit. We can dig it up, but I recall them spending extra time on the "hits" section of NLOTH (which ironically, is generally considered the weakest part of the album).

The lack of new material over the past 5 years also undercuts and idea that they're trying "so hard" to be relevant.
I think it is because they are trying "so hard," that we are having these delays.

More importantly, who cares if he has fears? He can post 1000x how much he may hate the new album. But if I like it, I like it. His comments won't sway me one way or the other.

Also, I'm not sure what type of "challenge" people want form U2. AB had hints of JT and R&H in it. JT had hints of War in it. Pop had hints of AB and JT in it. ATYCLB had hints of Zooropa in it. All of this means that U2 will play around with their own sound to varying degrees - but ultimately, it still is U2.

More or less you are correct. And, in my opinion - and I agree, this is subjective in the highest sense of the word - U2 has been in an artistic decline since Achtung Baby. They've had highs and lows since then - but the general progression has been down. I've been hoping and praying for a reversal. After all - who here doesn't want another U2 masterpiece?

Also - the "magic marker" line is yet another odd commonplace item thrown into a lyric that just seems anti-poetic (in the spirit of...heavy like a truck, high-rises on their backs, ATM machine, force quit, cockatoo, newborn baby's head, tuna fleets, mouthful of teeth, ...and the entire lyric of songs like Boots and Playboy Mansion).

I think it is because they are trying "so hard," that we are having these delays.

Maybe, but I actually think their release dates have more to do with scheduling around family and other commitments. They're not a full time band like they were in the 80's and early 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom