New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The beach clips!!

The orgasmic reaction to 30 seconds of Miracle Drug…..

It was fun to get those clips where now we have rereleases of dvds

I still have audio of beach clip #5 when Crazy Tonight had the old chorus

wild to think of this place as popular once. or any of y'all olds not being cranky.

I can't even fathom people talking about HTDAAB as an upcoming U2 album.

My earliest memory here was of opening night of the Vertigo tour, iirc we were getting text message updates of the setlist from someone. And then the next night chrisedge had the recording online. Felt like magic.

I wonder what would happen if we suddenly got new beach clips of the guitar album.

Some bad photoshops, a mix of undercooked takes and blind fandom, U2 Valencia coming up with a title for the album and at least one attempt at a cleanup/remaster.

Willing to put $10 on them having at least 2 songs that were better than American Soul and Get Out they could’ve put onto the last record.

No U2 release cycle is fully complete until we've heard the two or three B-sides that easily should've been on the album.

My earliest memory here was of opening night of the Vertigo tour, iirc we were getting text message updates of the setlist from someone. And then the next night chrisedge had the recording online. Felt like magic.

This place was nuts when the heart shaped stage started to become true, and the idea of 250-300 fans in line get inside the heart.

I think it was opening night where Bono fell off the platform right ? Or was it Edge ?

It wasn’t very long that we were getting some live recordings of those early shows. I remember staying up all night downloading them over the slowest speed dial connection.

Right after sweetest thing to vertigo, this place was very popular.

I really don't know where the band actually goes to the point that maybe it is time to call it a day. The band are just old and tired, lacking any inspiration.

If you are multi millionaires, almost reaching billionaire status, for so long, you're hardly going to have insight and inspiration into the human condition like you did previously. So far removed from the real world, their world is now yachts, mansions, and a circle of celeb pals who will only indulge them further. Being sucked up into that materialism and being a slave to it for decades now, it's a far cry from their younger, spiritual and contemplative selves.

They try to reignite that flame on every album, but their lifestyles can't allow for anything of any great depth and insight, and out comes shallow, cliched platitudes from Bono of the kind Hallmark cards would be red faced about, or in The Edge's case, beige and bland 'dad rawk' riffs in place of spooky, ethereal and imaginative soundscapes.

The age and lifestyle is not conducive to great music and we've got to face up to that. The drive and energy of youth isn't there which saps creativity, while endless curiosity has been annihilated by bigging up the rich man lifestyle.

It would be nigh on a miracle if they came up with a latter career excellent album. Expect more of the bland mainstream mush of the last decade.

I don't know. There's glimpses of a human being in Surrender that proves that Bono is indeed a well, human being. I think a lot of the anxiety about being a parent and nearing the end of a journey has translated really well into a few songs (TLTTGYA, Lights of Home).

My biggest concerns is 1) Bono doesn't seem to realize that his new lyrics are not nearly as good as his old ones. He genuinely believes American Soul is good. 2) No one is stopping him. Even if this album didn't have 20+ collaborators, his immediate three collaborators should have shot down "You are rock and roll, you and I are rock and roll" the second he sung it out loud.

I'm also a bit tired of songs and albums about songs. Songs of Innocence, Experience and Surrender, this Song Saved My Life, Ahimsa was about a song, Song for Someone. More of a personal gripe if anything, but I'm not the first person to say it's run its course.

I don't know. I have faith they can do a late career good album. There's enough evidence that it can be done. It really depends if someone can reign in their worst instincts

Back
Top Bottom