New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they really do have legit sources who offer insight into current thinking. Thinking that often changes

Yeah, they've been demonstrably wrong about a few things, but they have also correctly reported other things months before they were announced (most recently I'm pretty sure they talked about the band working on a new single with Larry recording, then a few weeks later 'Atomic City' was announced). So they're by no means infallible, but not exactly making everything up either.

It's also no secret that the band changes things up at the last moment - from getting close to releasing an album (remember the rooftop photo shoot and listening party with Adele in 2013?) to shooting music videos they never use (GOYOW in Mexico, or a video involving fireworks the week before SoI was announced), and I remember press reporting a 'Kiss The Future' tour dates before 360 was announced. Wouldn't shock me if at least some of the stuff u2songs has reported on that never came to pass was actually the plan at some point.

Yeah, they were right about a lot of things with Bono’s book (that it was happening, chapter titles, release dates) , that SOS was a thing, once November wasn’t happening they correctly called 17 March, SOE they knew the cover before they put it up on the JT tour, they knew the 2016 release was pushed before anyone else.

I’m not saying they are perfect, but they do clearly have sources, and they are working with a band that notoriously change their minds frequently. Apparently they tried to pull out of the Apple thing at the last minute and were told it was too late.

After all those push backs and shelving material it will suprising if they turn up with a new album before the end of the year. I'm not pessimistic but realistic. But maybe I'm wrong....

I know it’s the daily mail, but for lols:

How can he be back? I read on here he quit the band but they’ve been lying to us to cover up the Illuminati.

And on a more serious note - might be a good way to introduce new U2 - play the first live version of Glorify with LMJ on closing weekend?

I don't think it is either. I think it's a song Bono really likes and they threw it in at the end of the show.

I hope that Larry is feeling healthy and ready to go. It would also mean the potential for new material is pretty good. Until Edge needs to rework every song with a violin.....really see how the song works on a different kind of stringed instrument

I've been in a hell of a U2 nostalgia mood lately, since I went to the Sphere on Saturday. Hoping the 2024 stuff is true. I'm revisiting SOI and SOE this afternoon, and there are some real gems there. Would be happy to just get a few like that.

I am very curious what they’ll attempt with their next traveling production, especially since stadiums would require a free-standing apparatus.

That's promising about Larry, maybe we are going to get a new album and tour announced within the year.

Last edited:
I feel cautiously optimistic about 2025, barring any negative Lawrence news. They are going to want to capitalize on the positive attention and relatively pent-up worldwide demand in the wake of the Sphere shows.

Also, they should’ve played 40 Ft Man in front of a giant David Letterman on the screen, who slowly leans down and we’re transported through the gap in his teeth to fantastical illustrations of Ireland.

I feel cautiously optimistic about 2025, barring any negative Lawrence news. They are going to want to capitalize on the positive attention and relatively pent-up worldwide demand in the wake of the Sphere shows.

Also, they should’ve played 40 Ft Man in front of a giant David Letterman on the screen, who slowly leans down and we’re transported through the gap in his teeth to fantastical illustrations of Ireland.
it makes sense for them to want to capitalize on the most positive publicity they've had in, oh, 20 years.

alas - they're dumb.

so time will tell.

if they didn't extend the residency and then also don't put out new music in the fall - it's an absolutely wasted opportunity.

I love 40 Ft Man way more than I should do.

They've got the songs for the album and just want to (re)record them, so as long as they don't overthink it, we should all be good.

I love 40 Ft Man way more than I should do.

They've got the songs for the album and just want to (re)record them, so as long as they don't overthink it, we should all be good.
It is a solidly structured (“songwriting!”) tune with a decidedly Irish lean, clever but not overwrought lyrics (keep them away from Bono’s editing pen) and a perfect pocket of “oohs” (that’s what they call @clerks after midnight at the Flamingo)

It is a solidly structured (“songwriting!”) tune with a decidedly Irish lean, clever but not overwrought lyrics (keep them away from Bono’s editing pen) and a perfect pocket of “oohs” (that’s what they call @clerks after midnight at the Flamingo)
Again, better than rock cliches like Atomic City. 40 Ft Man is evidence that there's still sparkle when they just throw themselves into it and don't overthink it.

Unlike some people here I love Songs of Experience, I listen to it often. It has so much meaning for me because my Mom was dying of cancer when it was released, and I was able to go to a show on that tour a couple of weeks after she passed away. It was not easy to do at all and I didn't feel right doing it, but it did help me a bit at the time.

I wasn't able to go to the previous tour to that because she was sick, I did have a ticket but she was always my priority.

American Soul is my least favorite song on the album, but there aren't any others that bother me.

Songs of Surrender is a complete slog for me, I couldn't even listen to the whole thing once. I believe it was Edge's concept and I love and admire him...but no.

Last edited:
Joining in on the Songs of Experience love. The album also came at a transitional point and my favorite songs on that album (Little Things, 13, RFD and Love is Bigger) helped me get through the first year of the pandemic. I don’t listen to American Soul at all, it’s trash, but everything else is fine. Even Get Out of Your Own Way.

Back
Top Bottom