NBA 2012 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never really looked too deeply into some box scores, but I couldn't help but notice in the Lakers game that their starting 5 played practically the whole game. Sounds like some awful bench management. 5 bench points just ain't gonna cut it.

Not that the Heat do much better normally, but I mean they're quite an unconventional team.

I'm sort of surprised by the national media's complete indifference to the Celtics-Sixers series. I know the Sixers are not an attraction, but since when does no one care about the Celtics?

Yeah, it's especially odd considering that people are still bloviating about Chris Paul despite the monster series that Rondo is having.

No question, but holding Lavoy Allen out for fear of him getting in foul trouble before the fourth also had something to do with that. Not saying the Sixers would have won, but the discrepancies in free throw attempts was not indicative of the gameplay. Even Simmons' first reaction was to thank the refs.

the discrepancies in free throw attempts was not indicative of the gameplay. Even Simmons' first reaction was to thank the refs.

Celts outshot Sixers at FT line 33-16.

I didn't hear you complain Friday night when the Sixers outshot the Celts 36-19 at the FT line or after game 2 when Sixers outshot celts 21-9 at FT line.

Sometimes complaining about the refs has some merit, but frankly last night wasn't one of those nights.

Celts outshot Sixers at FT line 33-16.

I didn't hear you complain Friday night when the Sixers outshot the Celts 36-19 at the FT line or after game 2 when Sixers outshot celts 21-9 at FT line.

Sometimes complaining about the refs has some merit, but frankly last night wasn't one of those nights.
Because it was much more indicative of the gameplay on Friday night. :shrug: I don't just throw numbers out without there being some merit. I noticed a significant change in the officiating in Game 5. I said nothing about the refs in Games 1 and 3, you'll notice.

I just read eight people got shot after the OKC-LA game. The team spokesman's response was "it's unfortunate that it happened on a great night for OKC and the Thunder, but in our society these things happen."

I know things are different in the US but that is unfathomable to me, and that blasé attitude is shocking.

Leave out the "in our society, these things happen" and I think the statement is fine.

I had a knife pulled on me in the AT&T Center parking lot just for wearing blue. Basketball is serious business.

I had a shotgun pulled on me at a drive-thru for cutting in line, which I did not think was possible with cars going four miles an hour.

I had a gun pulled on me when I was 10 because some lunatic flicked my friend off in our neighborhood so I flicked him off back and he floored his car in reverse and pulled a gun on us.

No? This article made it seem like it was. My bad if that's untrue.

of course they did, because it's a more sensational story if it's connected to the game...

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City police made an arrest Tuesday in the late-night fight that escalated into gunfire and left eight people injured shortly after the Thunder-Lakers NBA playoff game ended a few blocks away.

Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said 19-year-old Rodney Hill was arrested on complaints of shooting with intent to kill in connection to the Monday night fight in Oklahoma City's Bricktown entertainment district.

Nelson said the shooting didn't appear to be connected to the playoff game, which Oklahoma City won and eliminated Los Angeles to advance to the NBA Western Conference finals

i didn't stay up for the second half of the game last night... but i just watched the highlights.

the pacers weren't going to win last night regardless, but all hope was lost the second granger went down. if he's out for the next game as well, then this series is over. if he's not, then we could be looking at a game 7. indiana's bigs were awful last night... they have such an advantage over miami there that if they don't play well, indiana's sunk.

as for the flagrant's...

hansbrough's foul should not have been a flagrant at all. that's a joke that it was ruled as one.

haslem's ensuing foul on psycho T should have been a flagrant-2 and an ejection, and dexter pitman's hit on douche'o'rama lance stephenson, the king of fake tough, being ruled a flagrant 1 is as big a joke as i've ever seen.

Diane Wade laying on the floor got the refs to call Hansborough a flagrant 1, it was a complete joke.

Halsem I expect to be suspended for game 6.
And Pitman should have been a flagrant 2 as well, though Stephenson did deserve something to understand his place, an elbow to the throat is uncalled for, I expect Pitman to be suspended as well though he's a non factor anyway.

I guess Andrew Bynum must have given the Heat their pre game pep talk last night.

Hewson said:
Diane Wade laying on the floor got the refs to call Hansborough a flagrant 1, it was a complete joke.

Come on, Hewson. This is like getting mad at a frog for sitting on a lily pad or bird for nesting in a tree. Some creatures are just comfortable in their natural habitats.

yea i think haslem will be out for game 6, pittman will be out for the rest of the series (who cares)... but i think hansbrough will get tossed into the fray as well and pick up a game 6 suspension, which would be complete, utter bullshit... but, alas, i think it'll happen anyways.

and yes... stephenson did, and has for a while, deserved to get his head knocked off.

i actually like all the shots being taken in this series... it's about damned time.

i really have no problem with haslem's foul, and don't think he should be suspended... but he will be. pittman's was incredibly dirty and he deserves a suspension, but yea... who cares, he's useless. psycho T's foul being called a flagrant was just ridiculous.

You guys are allowing your distaste of Wade to cloud your judgement. Dude hit him square on the head and wasn't anywhere near the ball. It was absolutely a flagrant. Should he be suspended? Probably not, but Haslem's hit on him was completely in order and felt oh so good.

And Wade was down what, 2 seconds? Cmon. That didn't change their minds into making it a flagrant.

Who the fuck cares about the Pacers, anyways? The whole teams a bunch of scrubs, especially Granger what a sack of shit that guy is. Fuck the Pacers. Like or hate the Heat, at least there's talent on the squad.

hitting somebody in the face does not a flagrant foul make.

it's about intent. hansbrough hit the ball, and his follow through hit wade in the face. there is no way in hell that's flagrant. a flagrant is defined as a foul in which no intent was made to play the ball. clearly that's not the case with psycho T.

haslem's foul was a flagrant. he should not be suspended for it, but he will be.

pittman's foul was dirty and malicious, and he should be suspended, and will be.

as for the pacers being a bunch of scrubs... it doesn't say much for the heat that they're having so much trouble disposing of indiana if they're a bunch of "scrubs"

the pacers don't have any superstars to the level of lebron or diane. yes, very true. but on all around talent, from 1 through 12, the pacers have better players than the heat. they are not scrubs by any means. hibbert and granger are all stars. david west is a former all star. they have a bunch of good, solid players, who know their role and play it well, and are incredibly well coached.

after the over-sized three, the heat stink. miller and battier are solid role players, but offensively they can't play in a system where they just stand around in a corner and hope for a pass. it's not their games. haslem has been terrific for miami, but his better days are behind him.

the rest of the team is awful.

the true NBA finals start sunday...

duncan_durant.png

All that about the Pacers might be true, but I don't follow them. I'm merely going by how they are playing right now, and that is like a bunch of punk-ass scrubs. Play the game. Foul your man if you have to, then walk away. Granger is acting like he wants to start something on every play. And he's not even a tough guy. So it just comes off looking like a punk.

i get what you're saying... but with how chummy the league has gotten, with guys partnering up instead of competing against each other, and how everybody's all friends, and they all sign up with the same marketing companies and blah buh blah buh blah... it's refreshing to me to see a team spit in the face of that and not back down from the big bad wolf.

As Headache said, Hansborough is attempting to play the ball, not a flagrant by definition ,and I don't have any real animosity towards Wade, but he embellished the thing, you can see him as he goes down look up then put his face to the floor, he and Lebron overexaggerate the effect of lots of the hits they take trying to get calls.

He's not attempting to play the ball when he brings his hand back. The refs likely felt that it wasn't a natural motion of follow thru, and watching it again I tend to agree with them. It definitely looked like deliberate contact to the face/side of the head after the attempted block. It was unnatural enough that not even his teammate was expecting his arm to come back like that, and he got a bit of it in his face too.

As for how long/what manner Wade was down for 2 seconds, I think you're splitting hairs. He pretty much goes straight down, regroups, and pushes off the floor. It's certainly not a great example of a Dwayne Wade flop, and there have been some. This wasn't one of them.

Anyways, the Pacers aren't going to beat Miami with cheap shots and instigator like tactics, that much is clear. If they don't start concentrating on good basketball in the next game, they're history.

Back
Top Bottom