My last album review....POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salome said:

I like Discotheque a lot
it has a nice balance of light and darkness
I don't feel the need to find some great, higher meaning in every U2 song. The threads debating Vertigo's lyrical meaning about the battle between good and evil still make me :lol:

U2Man said:
like the boy who cried wolf :tsk:

1582343888.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056523887_.jpg

shit, you're fast Utoo. I had only just pressed "submit" and there you were with that picture.

Whenever people start talking about Pop, all of this chaos happens. Which, I guess, is a good thing. I'm glad U2 released Pop because, to this day, it still gets people worked up.

COBL_04 said:
[*]I want to sue U2 for false advertising. These are not Pop songs, maybe with the close exception of SATS. Was it called 'Pop' because it's almost the opposite?

actually, in an interview during that time, Bono said "pop - a loud noise or explosion" in the tone of giving a dictionary definition, so i thikn maybe they went for the title because it had multiple meanings. They were exploding with this new sound (adam and larry had both took time after ZooTV to go and take lessons in their respective instruments and stuff - which definitely showed because this Adam's coolest work right here) and of course the obvious dance-inspired sound on some tracks. I also do not think the album is Pop-py which is why I thought it was such a misleading (and often times discrediting) name, but I LOVE this album. it's way underrated.
great review, btw ;] i'll admit Pop also took a while to grow on me, but now I have this deep appreciation for it that makes it even more special, because people who don't give it a chance just don't get it. my friends always pester me about it, but i don't bother to try to make them see what took me a while to see, becuase it's something you have to do to believe. i guess it an "it takes one to know one" sort of thing. The songs are really genius, even when they're not "joshua tree"-sounding, it's still got U2 written all over it <3

Last edited:
Pop Rules.

Listening 2 it yesterday, I was thinking: Macphisto would have done a great version of "The Playboy Mansion...."

Imagine it. And at the end when it goes "Then will there be no time for sorrow... then will there be no time for shame, etc..." he could do it in falsetto. :drool:

u2trinity said:

I did type in , it just took me to the page to log in
which I did , and that took me to a page to upload .
it's because the link was truncated. when someone does the ysi thing instead of putting a space between you sendit, the processor thinks it's a real website, so it truncates it if it's too long (which in most cases, it is) so when you copy/paste, you're also copying and pasting the elipses [...] where there should be real letters.
could someone repost please? i'd love a copy too. thank you!
inocntgrl012@yahoo.com =)

btw i know bono also did the mother fuckin rock and fuckin roll thing live. i don't know if he did them at all the shows, but i know he did it at the opening show in Las Vegas !

I never understood why the word fuck is used as clear as day in "Wake Up Dead Man" but is not in "Mofo".

Crazy Bono and his ape-like stage movements...

:tsk:

Since it is my (and generally most of the forum's) opinion that *most* of the pop songs went from good to stellar live, I've decided to compile a little Popmart collection for COBL_04. All of the mp3's are soundboard quality, and I'll admit I leaned a little bit towards my favourite shows. Tel Aviv stand out a lot, since the quality and performances were great. Serajevo as well, but Bono's voice was just so bad that night to get a feel for the performance.

Songs from the opening Las Vegas show were ones that were taken out of the setlist early in the tour. The Las Vegas show wasn't outstanding, but i think it was the only full performance of If God Will Send His Angels.

The only sticky bit is Playboy Mansion. The only way it's even close to being represented is during Where the Streets Have No Name as a snippet.

I've also included some standout, non-Pop tracks from the tour, stuff that was never played (HMTMKMKM) or never played the same (WTSHNN and SBS) before or after.

I hope you enjoy it COBL_04, and anyone else who downloads it. Popmart was a great tour, and I hope you like your first taste.

~A.j.~

Tracklist:
Discoteque / If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
Where The Streets Have No Name / Playboy Mansion (snippet)
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Sunday Bloody Sunday

http://download.you send it.com/C1CF3AAA5DF14855

Okay, thanks very much for the kind replys everyone, I can't believe it got to 8 pages overnight. I'm much loving DYFL right now.

Particulary paired with "AY MAMI!" or "AY PAPI!"
Hey! Pappy is my nickname. :wink:

It's just missing... something.
Hmm...the more I listen to it the more I agree. Still a great song though. I think the vocals are a bit whiney too...

sure maybe the discotheque video is sillier, but i dont let videos effect what i think of a song
I thought the video was pretty good actually. I loved the boomcha part.
I don't think its silly anyway.

Originally posted by Canadiens
We don't tolerate personal attacks, here, Chizip. Read the FAQ.
:lmao:

Originally posted by gherman
I agree with everything you said. Esp. "generally underated but overated here at interference." Great job on the review.
Thank you very much. :)

SATS is a decent song, but it doesn't feel like it fits in with this album, especially not in the position its in right now
Completey agree. With all the darkness, dancey around it i too felt it mucked up the flow. :up:

Queen Bee said:

I'm pleasantly surprised that you liked Pop :up:. Did you ever review War? I couldn't find it :sad:

Here are the reviews you've posted since joining Interference in chronological order by post date:
  1. Achtung Baby
  2. The Joshua Tree
  3. Boy
  4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
  5. October
  6. The Unforgettable Fire
  7. Passengers
  8. Rattle & Hum
  9. Zooropa

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I thought you were one of the people who didn't like my first-listen reviews?

I can't remember if I reviewed War, I got it the same time I got TJT. I'd search but I can't.

Thanks again, much appreciated!!!!

fandangamoq said:
Since it is my (and generally most of the forum's) opinion that *most* of the pop songs went from good to stellar live, I've decided to compile a little Popmart collection for COBL_04. All of the mp3's are soundboard quality, and I'll admit I leaned a little bit towards my favourite shows. Tel Aviv stand out a lot, since the quality and performances were great. Serajevo as well, but Bono's voice was just so bad that night to get a feel for the performance.

Songs from the opening Las Vegas show were ones that were taken out of the setlist early in the tour. The Las Vegas show wasn't outstanding, but i think it was the only full performance of If God Will Send His Angels.

The only sticky bit is Playboy Mansion. The only way it's even close to being represented is during Where the Streets Have No Name as a snippet.

I've also included some standout, non-Pop tracks from the tour, stuff that was never played (HMTMKMKM) or never played the same (WTSHNN and SBS) before or after.

I hope you enjoy it COBL_04, and anyone else who downloads it. Popmart was a great tour, and I hope you like your first taste.

~A.j.~

Tracklist:
Discoteque / If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
Where The Streets Have No Name / Playboy Mansion (snippet)
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Sunday Bloody Sunday

http://download.you send it.com/C1CF3AAA5DF14855

Thank you very much as well!!! Golly people are being kind and helpful today. Very much appreciated. I've got a lot of downloading to do, still sifting through the 'Beachlegs!' One question, is Velvet Dress snippeted at the end of Discotheque? and didnt mofo open every show?

Just some questions now,

Where can I get bootlegs?
When is Mexico City coming out?

And some requests...
The single version of Angels.
The single version of Please.
The Jool Holland (or something) version of Velvet Dress.
and also, DreamOutLoud13, do u have an email address?

Once again, thank you to everyone for the deep insightful replies. It's made me feel really good. Special mentions to Queen Bee for finding all my review threads (can't wait to read Achtung's again, that was a HOOT!) and fandangmoq for posting all the songs.

Go Interference!

Mofo was the first song played at every PopMart Show.

Well, I 'm not exactly sure, its been a long time since i've listended to a show from one of my favourite tours, but i'm pretty sure its a reasonably lengthy Velvet Dress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom