MSG Sat Show 10/8/05

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JLux said:
Mike P is correct. He did the birthday phone call to his friend from the outer elipse, and the person he berated was right in in front of the stage.

Did anyone else find that moment to be a buzzkill? Even though he apologized later, it was still a very uncomfortable moment that hung over the crowd for a while (it seemed to me, anyway).

In general, Bono sounded a little hoarse from start to finish, but that didnt stop him from summoning all his energy to belt it out. The crowd helped him out quite a bit. Edge -underappreciated guitar genius that he is - picked up the slack massively and was amazing as usual.

It was surprised and thrilled that they ended with "40", since I thought they had stopped doing that for a long time.

mikep is wrong... he did the birthday phonecall to gavin friday from the main stage, and he didn't use a cell phone, he very much used a regular phone. i have a few shots of this moment 'cause i went up to the front row by edge's side, right by the exit. no one was standing there so i just went there for a few songs before returning to the tip of the ellipse. the pictures, unfortunatly, didn't come out too good... a little blurry. the phone he used has neon tape on the reciever...

i left these pics at full size so that you can clearly see a very old landline phone at the tip of the stage. this is what he used to call gavin friday and sing happy birthday.

phone.JPG

phone2.JPG

hopefully this will clear up any questions re: the phone and the birthday call.

JLux said:
Mike P is correct. He did the birthday phone call to his friend from the outer elipse, and the person he berated was right in in front of the stage.

Did anyone else find that moment to be a buzzkill? Even though he apologized later, it was still a very uncomfortable moment that hung over the crowd for a while (it seemed to me, anyway).

I see what the confusion is now. There were 3 phone call events on Saturday. (It's possible you & Mike P missed # 2).

1)was the birthday phone call to Gavin (he did not do this with someones cellphone this was just a regular telephone that he had brought to him.) Honestly I couldn't tell you if this was from the tip of the ellipse or the front of the stage, I really don't recall.

2) was Bono grabbing the cellphone from the guy in front of the stage and throwing it back to him, during the very beginning of the show.

3) was Bono berating the same guy during SBS.

Ramblin - that sounds right. I vaguely remember item #2 now. The birthday call on saturday was definitely from the elipse. The other two were at the stage. Thanks.

Any thoughts on whether Bono was under the weather on saturday (or is that just 3 decades of wear and tear on the vocal chords)?

Hey Guys,

I was the guy with the phone. I just posted the story on another thread in the tours section to clear any misinformation and get the correct story out:

<I can't post the URL b/c I don't have enough posts.. just look under General Tour Discussions area. The thread is called "I was the guy with the phone @ MSG #2 10/8/05 - FACTS">

Thanks,
-Chris

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Indeed. I had a shot with oktobergirl in the bar right before they lined us up to go in. :up: Warmed me up for a good ten minutes, :p

Weee! That was fun, even if it was the most expensive shot of whiskey I have ever done. It was so fun hanging out with you, April! :wave:

ramblin rose said:

I see what the confusion is now. There were 3 phone call events on Saturday. (It's possible you & Mike P missed # 2).

1)was the birthday phone call to Gavin (he did not do this with someones cellphone this was just a regular telephone that he had brought to him.) Honestly I couldn't tell you if this was from the tip of the ellipse or the front of the stage, I really don't recall.

2) was Bono grabbing the cellphone from the guy in front of the stage and throwing it back to him, during the very beginning of the show.

3) was Bono berating the same guy during SBS.

First, I never said that the birthday call was at the tip of the ellipse. That was someone else taking a stab at something I had said, not me.

Second, I guess I must have completely forgotten where the phone-theft happened, because I could have sworn it was at the tip of the ellipse. Maybe I was catching the weed wafting up from GA.

Third, and unrelated to anything else, Jon Bon Jovi has a humongous head. Yeah, his hair's big, but his head is HUGE. Looks like a velociraptor. I was front row, lower-right corner next to the VIP entrance....and I was struck by how damn big his head is.

/thread hijack

-Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom