More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think U2's next album will be big.

The more I hear of North Star and EBW, the more I think either would make for a big single. And Glasto might even have a shot. And who knows about Mercy.

Anyways, I think U2 may be about to dial back the subtlety... in a good way. EBW is subtle, I think, in the lyrical and thematic sense, but the melody is absolutely captivating. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Really though, I think they're coming back full strength.

I don't know about hit-wise, but the songs they've been playing already show a lot of strength in them, which could bode well for the album.

As compared to what, the soundcheck recording or the original?

Hard to say from the live feed. It was shorter than the original, that's all i could tell.

The bridge has been removed, which I'm not sure bodes very well for the song. The verses and choruses don't have anything really to distinguish them now and the emotional take-off in the chorus doesn't happen. If they put that back in, it will be great.

I'm sorry, but I don't like this new version. The song had a (little) less typical structure which made it different from the other songs, even though it had Bomb's conservative sound. Now, it just became another random 2000's ABABCAB rock song ready to release on the radio and hit the modern rock/adult contemporary formats.

Errr...I need some lyrical assistance. What does Bono sing during the chorus after, "Because, because, because we can ??????"

Not sure I like some of these new lyrics either, but it's a start and I'm happy they're coming out with it. The band doing things like this is the only reason I'm paying attention these days.

There are some things I liked, a few changes not so much. The piano in the beginning and the "Because, because, because..." bit are nice. But the ending feels abrupt, as well as the chorus. The song reeeaaaaaally needs that "ripping the stitches" part to better bridge the gap between verse & chorus.

hmm...Mercy...overcooked? I kind of like the tightness of it...but the new lyrics don't exactly roll off the tongue do they? Miss the bridge but like the song still.

I'm kinda :| about the new version. I love the original, and I love that U2 are experimenting and playing it live, but not really feeling the new structure or chorus.

Errr...I need some lyrical assistance. What does Bono sing during the chorus after, "Because, because, because we can ??????"

Not sure I like some of these new lyrics either, but it's a start and I'm happy they're coming out with it. The band doing things like this is the only reason I'm paying attention these days.

Because because because we get reborn.

Yeah, I prefer the original lyrics. The vocals are much better now though.

I'll preface this by saying Mercy is one of my favorite songs of the last decade and I'm so happy they're playing it live.

What I think it needs is to have that build up in the beginning of the song that the 2004 version had. I really liked the slow build up especially the first 2 verses. With Larry's drumming building up that would make it perfect before it explodes into the first chorus. Oh and put 'rippin the stitches' before the first chorus. Other then that I like how the song has evolved especially with the new solo, some of the lyrical changes and the way the song ends.

For me this could be one of their best songs and stand along side Bad and Streets, but that's my opinion and my taste is subjective. Can't wait to see how the finished version sounds if/when they release it on an album.

Ba da bing, ba da boom.

http://www.media fire.com/?ppfdzkiybdmd2mb

rock on!

I'll add this to my "U2 - Kiss the Future" playlist.

So far I have:

Return of The Stingray guitar (8-21)
Every Breaking Wave (8-21)
North Star (8-20)
Glastonbury (8-21)
Soon
Winter (Brothers)
No Line on The Horizon (Busker Version) (8-21)
Boy Falling From the Sky

Starting to feel like an album! :)

I think the lyrics are (after only one listen) "Because, because, because we can, we should."

The whole meaning of the song has totally changed. Most of it has totally changed, actually. At least we still have the original. :|
I think I like it better; it was so much more complex and unique.

The bridge has been removed, which I'm not sure bodes very well for the song. The verses and choruses don't have anything really to distinguish them now and the emotional take-off in the chorus doesn't happen. If they put that back in, it will be great.
Yeah, this whole missing section kind of takes the punch of out the song. The first "verse" is shortened also, which takes the build-up away completely.

I think U2 should have simply tweaked the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom