More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
call me bat shit crazy but i much prefer this version. my largest issue with the "original" version was that it seemed like a meandering, unfinished song with no direction or cohesiveness, along with some very corny lines. there were some parts to it that were excellent, but it clearly wasn't a finished product, and the outpouring of love for the song just baffled me.

i still don't get a hard on from hearing the song, but i think it's better, a more polished version, and i'm actually interested in hearing the recorded version now. "you wanna kill me and i wanna die" is one of the more interesting lines bono's come up with in a while... much better than binary codes
You are wrong. Mercy 2.0 SUCKS because I say so. This is a FACT, and if you disagree, you are WRONG.
Also, a version of a song described by the band as being a "work in progress" is OBVIOUSLY the final version and it will NEVER change.

I'm starting to think that the only way an album with EBW, North Star, Mercy, etc can work for me will be if it is more or less free of extra production.. songs played live off the floor, by the band.. sans extra strings, loops, etc.

let it be sparse, melodic, and straight from the source.

when was the last time U2 released an album where the music was just the four of them playing?

maybe this is why they're working out these songs live.. so they can hit the studio and bash em all out in a couple weeks.

:up:

that would be a dream come true...I think it almost happened with Chris Thomas but the band hit the panic button. Same w/ the Rick Ruben sessions. I'm starting to wonder...perhaps the "issues" the band had with Ruben and Thomas were that these producers were giving it to them straight so they went back to work with producers that tell them what they want to hear...the new mercy is alright but not really "progress." The full band NS is a disaster...it was more effective acoustic...

:up: piano is a nice addition. Better solo (maybe make it a little longer), too bad the "ripping the stitches" part doesn't smoothen the transition from verses into chorus that are somewhat hard to distinguish now. A slightly abrupt ending, but it might get worked out in the further live versions.

As for lyrics, I'm just glad the great opening lines (I was drinking some wine until what's the use of religion if you're any good?) were left.

You are wrong. Mercy 2.0 SUCKS because I say so. This is a FACT, and if you disagree, you are WRONG.
Also, a version of a song described by the band as being a "work in progress" is OBVIOUSLY the final version and it will NEVER change.

Dr.%20Evil%20copy.JPG

laz, you know I like you, and yeah, I know I've laughed before about how you just really know how to push my buttons .... (pause for dirty joke)

... but seriously, would it kill you to express your opinions without coming across like such a jerk?

Honestly.

laz, you know I like you, and yeah, I know I've laughed before about how you just really know how to push my buttons .... (pause for dirty joke)

... but seriously, would it kill you to express your opinions without coming across like such a jerk?

Honestly.

agreed. to pity someone for having a different opinion is unfortunate.

Okay, listened to them both a few times now. Still not at all sold on the new one. And I have never been much of a fan of the 2004 version - so I've got nothing invested there. In fact, I've always said Mercy is a great skeleton that needs new flesh. Re-jigging it has always been exactly what I've wanted them to do.

BUT I would never have said it needed to be hammered down and tightened up so far as to lose the space and patience, twists and turns, that gave the original so much potential. The piano is nice. The new chorus lyric is better (but still, overall, pretty cheesy). The little Edge solo is cool. The because/because/because is atrocious, especially the three-peat at the end which is... what the fuck is that? But anyway, those are just really superficial changes. All surface level. The major change is in the structure of the song, and that, to me, has effectively changed the whole nature of the song. Which is really disappointing. I would have toned it down, and I would have taken a knife to it, but I wouldn't have bludgeoned it and then taken an axe to it.

I am genuinely surprised that so many of the long term Mercy Adoration Squad are liking this version, as it seemed to me that specifically the 'epic-ness' of the original, and several of those now missing sections, where what made it so massively popular.

I am genuinely surprised that so many of the long term Mercy Adoration Squad are liking this version, as it seemed to me that specifically the 'epic-ness' of the original, and several of those now missing sections, where what made it so massively popular.

I think that most of the Mercy lovers/haters have both agreed that taking out the bridge was a mistake, however, most agreed it was too long and need to lose a verse or two. The urgency and longing are still in the song it and it hasn't lost too much of its original character.

After listening to last night's performance, I am not positive how you guys can call it a new version. Based on Bono's knowledge of the lyrics that he didn't "change," I'm impressed that he remembered the title of the song.

Still kinda ruled though, just because it was Mercy.

After listening to last night's performance, I am not positive how you guys can call it a new version. Based on Bono's knowledge of the lyrics that he didn't "change," I'm impressed that he remembered the title of the song.

Still kinda ruled though, just because it was Mercy.

did he announce the title?

It was written for the Unforgettable Fire session (reference needed... guys?)

here was an article somewhere. There also may be more to it than we've heard. I see it as a piece of music that pops up occasionally throught the album (much like Swamp song on Oasis' Morning Glory). The riff indicates rolling, determined movement, which could easily parralel pilgrimage.

I can't believe it sounded like that in 1984.
U2 certainly didn't sound like that in 1984.

I don't think much of the original idea is left, save the name.

I wish Bono kept more of the original lyrics intact, but it doesn't changed things too drastically. What I really love here is the piano/guitar solo part. A great progression from the original. This easily the best of the new bunch for me.

Your cantankerous self righteousness has reached new heights as of late... :up:

I agree with you that the negative reaction is somewhat premature- I don't think the live version is perfect by any means, but it is no horror show.

"I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood"

:banghead:

/thirdgraderhymingproject

I'm not sure how many third graders would come up with the opening lyrics to a song that talk about the consecration of wine into Jesus' blood as the Catholics do every Sunday in church.

edit: the image you posted as well could easily been seen as offensive to Catholics - but I'll just assume your lack of knowledge on the subject is what prompted you post it.

Okay, listened to them both a few times now. Still not at all sold on the new one. And I have never been much of a fan of the 2004 version - so I've got nothing invested there. In fact, I've always said Mercy is a great skeleton that needs new flesh. Re-jigging it has always been exactly what I've wanted them to do.

BUT I would never have said it needed to be hammered down and tightened up so far as to lose the space and patience, twists and turns, that gave the original so much potential. The piano is nice. The new chorus lyric is better (but still, overall, pretty cheesy). The little Edge solo is cool. The because/because/because is atrocious, especially the three-peat at the end which is... what the fuck is that? But anyway, those are just really superficial changes. All surface level. The major change is in the structure of the song, and that, to me, has effectively changed the whole nature of the song. Which is really disappointing. I would have toned it down, and I would have taken a knife to it, but I wouldn't have bludgeoned it and then taken an axe to it.

Bit scared to say so because Interference is becoming very screwed down by a certain crowd, but I agree. The "Because" ending is pretty jarring and cliched to hell... I can only believe that they are just ending it that way as a work in progress, don't believe they would commit that to vinyl, as it were...

The atmosphere of a song is very fragile and almost intangible, it seems that judging by the live version they are in danger of removing some of that "feeling".

On the plus side, I love the "You wanna kill me..." line. It sounds badass!!!

Yes, the 2004 version had some cheesy lines but it seems like they have kept the most cheesy and dropped the most profound... I dunno, I love 'em but I'm increasingly perplexed by some of their decisions. It never used to be that way...:reject:

I agree with you that the negative reaction is somewhat premature- I don't think the live version is perfect by any means, but it is no horror show.

If I were going to rewrite the song I would keep the new abrupt chorus for the first one and then use the "ripping the stitches" pre-chorus for the second and only use the "because because" at the last chorus.

As far as the new lyric in the chorus, I'm torn. :shrug:

edit: the image you posted as well could easily been seen as offensive to Catholics - but I'll just assume your lack of knowledge on the subject is what prompted you post it.

Referencing that vampires drink blood is offensive to Catholics?

If I were going to rewrite the song I would keep the new abrupt chorus for the first one and then use the "ripping the stitches" pre-chorus for the second and only use the "because because" at the last chorus.

:up:

Referencing that vampires drink blood is offensive to Catholics?

No, the O'RLY part that goes along with it as if it's entirely inconceivable that wine could turn into blood in conjunction with calling it a third grade rhyme and the whole tone of the post.

I'm sure after U2 reads this thread they'll go back to the original version. (if only)

They should've left in the "ripping the stitches" part

The "you wanna kill me and i wanna die" lyric is kinda cool, but its coolness is cancelled out by the awkward "because, because, because" part. Sounds like they're trying to wrap up the chorus, and song, in a very concise and radioready fashion, which totally ruins the only thing I really liked about the song, which was its lost and drifting quality.

Plus, they omitted the "i fear nothing/ feel nothing" part which was one of the only raw Bono moments to be found in the BOMB era.

They should just keep the original music, keep the 1st verse long like the original, change some lyrics that need to be changed, try to rework the chorus using the "kill" line, scrap the "because because because" part, and re-attach the "fear/feel nothing" coda. Basically, keep the same song :D with maybe some lyrical revisions.

I'm sure after U2 reads this thread they'll go back to the original version. (if only)

Heh. If U2 ever reads these threads, I'm sure their reaction is more along the lines of

"FUCK! What do these people WANT, for chrissakes?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom