More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They pull old material old of their butts all the time, does that really make Stingray Guitar (the title is clearly put-on for lack of context like NLOTH's early 'track titles' like Chromium Chords) meditative or abstract?

You have split the two things that I said and swapped them around. I was saying the song wasn't new in response to you saying that it was slapped together before the tour. I was saying I can see in the music how the rolling rhythm can connote a journey or travel.

I like the new version :drool: ...........but I do prefer the line "you know I'm weed killer honey your sugar" not "you know I'm weed killer sugar your honey" I know I am being a bit picky here :reject:

I like the new version :drool: ...........but I do prefer the line "you know I'm weed killer honey your sugar" not "you know I'm weed killer sugar your honey" I know I am being a bit picky here :reject:

I swear that was Bono messing the lyrics up? :D

is it possible or acceptable to enjoy both versions? or am i just being a blind sheep again?

is it possible or acceptable to enjoy both versions? or am i just being a blind sheep again?
sheep.jpg

I'm with you Mikal. A perfect version would have the full lyric of the verses, the pre-chorus, but the new chorus, solo and piano.

I love both, and am really glad they made it different enough to make it worthwhile. Would have been shit if it was almost exactly the same... there'd be no point as we already have the other one.

I agree that they have turned a piece of art into a mere single. However, this was merely a live version, therefore no need to act like a princess and leave your dummy spit until after we hear the studio version.
Not only a mere single. It's just another song that is banal. Join "Glastonbury" (as much as I kind of like it) and we see that U2 still didn't get, still can't accept the idea that their strategy of releasing to the public U2-by-the-numbers-ready-to-become-the-average-radio-hit songs doesn't work anymore. Didn't they learn something with NLOTH's reception? It wasn't only because of the first single choice... People don't want U2-by-the-numbers anymore, they just don't pay attention to it anymore...

Not only a mere single. It's just another song that is banal. Join "Glastonbury" (as much as I kind of like it) and we see that U2 still didn't get, still can't accept the idea that their strategy of releasing to the public U2-by-the-numbers-ready-to-become-the-average-radio-hit songs doesn't work anymore. Didn't they learn something with NLOTH's reception? It wasn't only because of the first single choice... People don't want U2-by-the-numbers anymore, they just don't pay attention to it anymore...

It will take a miracle for U2 to have a radio hit at this point with the current musical landscape. They should embrace that fact, and not make any concessions for trying to write radio hits. Maybe the last part of their legacy could be a really great flourish to end their career. They won't do it though, and they will chase the big hits until they finally retire.

If the changes to this song don't bother you, I can only feel pity. That bridge was crucial, as was the long guitar part at the end. I don't know what kind of artist cuts a section like this thinking it's an improvement, but my only conclusion is that this band have become rich and lazy fools with no real sense of what constitutes good music. I tried to deny this for a while, but the occasional strokes of brilliance appear to be the exception.

This is the worst thing the band has done in a decade. It's flat-out disgusting. And if you think that they're going to record it closer to the original version you're even more pathetic for being in such denial.

Your cantankerous self righteousness has reached new heights as of late... :up:

I actually love the changes. Because we have the original, we always will. The changes they have made aren't their regular errors with over-thinking and over processing. This seems like a step-brother of a song, but I love it.

Yes I miss bits, but the other version is lacking for not have some of the things that make this version great (solo, pianon, chorus lyrics, choprus ending)

The lyric is much more suitable and intricate now. It is now a complete lyric, and I think, his best lyic since Pop

i totally totally agree with this :up:

call me bat shit crazy but i much prefer this version. my largest issue with the "original" version was that it seemed like a meandering, unfinished song with no direction or cohesiveness, along with some very corny lines. there were some parts to it that were excellent, but it clearly wasn't a finished product, and the outpouring of love for the song just baffled me.

i still don't get a hard on from hearing the song, but i think it's better, a more polished version, and i'm actually interested in hearing the recorded version now. "you wanna kill me and i wanna die" is one of the more interesting lines bono's come up with in a while... much better than binary codes

call me bat shit crazy but i much prefer this version. my largest issue with the "original" version was that it seemed like a meandering, unfinished song with no direction or cohesiveness, along with some very corny lines. there were some parts to it that were excellent, but it clearly wasn't a finished product, and the outpouring of love for the song just baffled me.

i still don't get a hard on from hearing the song, but i think it's better, a more polished version, and i'm actually interested in hearing the recorded version now. "you wanna kill me and i wanna die" is one of the more interesting lines bono's come up with in a while... much better than binary codes

Much as I'm not thrilled with what they did with the chorus, I can't help but agree with pretty much everything you said except the part about "you wanna kill me and I wanna die"...I mean, it's a bit better than binary codes..but I think compared to alot of the lyrics on HTDAAB (or even stuff since then like WITS, EBW or NS) it's kinda weak..Vertigo/Stand Up Comedy weak, even. :shrug:

I didn't like the new version at first but now I really do like it. The old version had too much of a All That You Can't Leave Behind feel to it. I like like the added guitar solo and use of piano. The original was just too long and endless, the new version just seems much more finished.

I'm starting to think that the only way an album with EBW, North Star, Mercy, etc can work for me will be if it is more or less free of extra production.. songs played live off the floor, by the band.. sans extra strings, loops, etc.

let it be sparse, melodic, and straight from the source.

when was the last time U2 released an album where the music was just the four of them playing?

maybe this is why they're working out these songs live.. so they can hit the studio and bash em all out in a couple weeks.

The old version had too much of a All That You Can't Leave Behind feel to it.
I disagree completely here. The new version is much more radiofriendly and has a normal structure. The old ersion ws pretty moody while the new one feels lighter, easier.

If we had not heard the older version before this one I would probably be really excited and really like the song (I still like it but...) but the old version was just much more epic. The ripping the stitches part and the bridge are really essential to the song.
But I do like the new solo and the new lyrics, especially You wanna kill me and I wanna die.

If we had not heard the older version before this one I would probably be really excited and really like the song (I still like it but...) but the old version was just much more epic. The ripping the stitches part and the bridge are really essential to the song.
But I do like the new solo and the new lyrics, especially You wanna kill me and I wanna die.

completely spot on...the song had to be shorter and unfortunately the bridge got axed. like many others have said, at least we have two versions of the song. :up:

If the changes to this song don't bother you, I can only feel pity. That bridge was crucial, as was the long guitar part at the end. I don't know what kind of artist cuts a section like this thinking it's an improvement, but my only conclusion is that this band have become rich and lazy fools with no real sense of what constitutes good music. I tried to deny this for a while, but the occasional strokes of brilliance appear to be the exception.

This is the worst thing the band has done in a decade. It's flat-out disgusting. And if you think that they're going to record it closer to the original version you're even more pathetic for being in such denial.

See and this is the type of post that really pisses me off, i get slagged off for defending setlists etc, but why arent we allowed to like what we like without this type of comment?, if anything i pity you for not actually being able to give credit to the band for playing something unreleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom