Mlb 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that you are not the only one who does something bad is not an excuse for you not getting punished for doing something bad.

Also, it's about the toxic Astros culture starting from the owner. I thought we had enough evidence of that.

All organizations are shitty. But some are shittier than others.

Suspend Hinch 50 games
Suspend Cora and Beltran 30 games each.

Take multiple draft picks away from the organization and levy a huge fine.

I’ve read some sbn people’s thoughts that they should take away top draft picks and also take away some not insignificant amount of home games for at least one season. That would hit their pocketbook pretty hard.

The fact that you are not the only one who does something bad is not an excuse for you not getting punished for doing something bad.

Also, it's about the toxic Astros culture starting from the owner. I thought we had enough evidence of that.

All organizations are shitty. But some are shittier than others.
I'm more concerned about their organizational culture than I am about them "cheating"

I won't be clutching my pearls over a team stealing signs beating a team using players who have been caught cheating with illegal substances - which at this point is every team.

Last edited:
My take on the Astros is the same as my take on the Patriots and my take on the steroid era.

I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over something that most everyone is doing in some form of another just because they're the ones that got caught.
If you want this method of sign-stealing to become a fixture of the game, that's a good way to go about it.

I don't, so I'd suspend Hinch for at least a year and take away a first round pick for every year there's evidence of stealing signs with tech.

If you want this method of sign-stealing to become a fixture of the game, that's a good way to go about it.

I don't, so I'd suspend Hinch for at least a year and take away a first round pick for every year there's evidence of stealing signs with tech.
If you think the Astros are the only team doing this, you're crazy.

Suspend them. I don't care. But let's not act as if this is some moral outrage that one and only one franchise is participating in.

If you think the Astros are the only team doing this, you're crazy.

Suspend them. I don't care. But let's not act as if this is some moral outrage that one and only one franchise is participating in.

Whataboutism isn't a defense. :shrug: It's not moral outrage so much as curbing a strategy before it can become a league-wide norm. Right now, most of the examples that have been exposed can be tracked back to the Astros and the Hinch coaching tree, so everyone involved should face consequences.

St. Hewson, always the first of the bunch to not totally ignore, me what a guy

Wait, so who cares? Why is this cheating? Some baseball “unwritten rule” to not look at the opponent’s catcher’s crotch/pitcher’s hand? Well, it might be a written rule, who knows.

St. Hewson, always the first of the bunch to not totally ignore, me what a guy

Wait, so who cares? Why is this cheating? Some baseball “unwritten rule” to not look at the opponent’s catcher’s crotch/pitcher’s hand? Well, it might be a written rule, who knows.

Stealing signs is nothing new, its that they used a camera and TV monitor to do so.

The accusation borne out in video evidence is that there was a camera in center field being relayed to personnel. Using a system that was worked out ahead of time and periodically shifted to prevent people from catching on, they would signal the batter by banging on trash cans, whistling, etc. In the video I posted, there was a whistle for every curveball Kershaw threw.

Damn, besides Jeter, nobody new on the list is getting in the HOF. Maybe this will pave the way for Bonds, Clemens, and Shilling.

There's a rather massive difference between stealing signs by a runner on second peeking at the catcher, and having live video screen in the dugout where they can steal them in real-time.

I thought they might get away with it with only a slap on the wrist, but the Astros are incredibly fucked. New evidence comes out every day, players, managers and members of the media are fuming, and Manfred is publicly steeling himself to actually do something.

There's a rather massive difference between stealing signs by a runner on second peeking at the catcher, and having live video screen in the dugout where they can steal them in real-time.
Yeah... This. I don't like this at all. Cheating is a part of baseball, but once you start including technology in it, like this whole vibrating bandaid theory or whatever, the fun gets sapped out.

Yeah... This. I don't like this at all. Cheating is a part of baseball, but once you start including technology in it, like this whole vibrating bandaid theory or whatever, the fun gets sapped out.

looks like baseball fans are finally joining the campfire next to pro cycling fans. welcome.

Getting warmer...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/22/a...inow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred*ordered an immediate probe into Fiers’s claim.**A source familiar with the sign-stealing investigation said by midweek that Manfred’s investigators had interviewed “15 to 20” Astros personnel, including the 2017 coaching staff and manager A.J. Hinch—some more than once. The source said the investigation confirmed the scheme as described by Fiers was used during a period of about three months during the 2017 regular season. The source added that the investigation is also pursuing whether the Astros used modified systems to acquire signs in the 2017 postseason, when scrutiny is heightened and the banging of a trash can would be more manifest. The Astros were 8–1 at home in the 2017 postseason.

Now we wait to see how far the rabbit hole goes. I hope the buzzing bandage thing is true because that's funny as fuck.

Last edited:
It's rare to lose a #1 or #2 level starting pitcher to a division rival and still have it be a great day for your franchise - alas...

NEW YORK — Fred and Jeff Wilpon, whose tight-fisted and ham-handed stewardship of the Mets has earned the scorn of much of the fanbase, have started negotiations that will eventually allow billionaire hedge fund manager Steve Cohen to hold a controlling stake in the franchise. Under the proposed agreement, the Wilpons would remain in control for five more years before Cohen would take over. In a statement on Wednesday, the Mets confirmed the discussions.

Though the plan presents an exit strategy for the Wilpons, the immediate impact on payroll and the franchise’s direction remains unclear. It wouldn’t be unprecedented for a transfer of power to take place sooner. In 2004, when Stuart Sternberg bought a significant interest in the Rays from Vince Naimoli, it was expected that control would be transferred in two and a half years. But Naimoli stepped down from day-to-day operations after a year and a half.

Once Cohen takes control, it’s unknown how much of a stake the Wilpons would retain in the franchise and in their regional sports network, SNY, if any.

Cohen, 63, would be the wealthiest majority owner in baseball. He is already an investor in the Mets, though according to a source close Cohen, the billionaire sees himself currently as just a fan who recognizes that there would be a learning curve once he takes control. According to a Bloomberg report, Cohen would buy up to an 80 percent stake of the franchise, which has spent the last decade recovering from the financial calamity brought on by the Bernie Madoff scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom