MLB 2010 Part 4 - October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Results of the AL popularity contest Gold Gloves:

P Mark Buehrle (CHW-2nd)
C Joe Mauer (MIN-3rd)
1B Mark Teixeira (NYY-4th)
2B Robinson Cano (NYY-1st)
3B Evan Longoria (TBR-2nd)
SS Derek Jeter (NYY-5th)
OF Ichiro Suzuki (SEA-9th)
OF Fr. Gutierrez (SEA-1st)
OF Carl Crawford (TBR-1st)

As a Yankee fan, I find it embarrassing that Jeter won it (for the 5th time, I should add).

the last thing i am is a yankee apologist, fan or whatever... in fact i hate the fuckers. but derek jeter had the highest fielding percentage of any shortstop, fewest errors, and 7th in chances.

the only thing that's over-rated about jeter getting the gold glove is the outrage over jeter getting the gold glove. should elvis andrews or guitierez have gotten it over him? sure. is it the most... outrageous thing... ever... that jeter got it? no.

and it's comical to say that this is the one that made the gold glove illegitimate... rafael palmeiro won the gold glove at first base in 1999 despite playing 135 games at DH.

the last thing i am is a yankee apologist, fan or whatever... in fact i hate the fuckers. but derek jeter had the highest fielding percentage of any shortstop, fewest errors, and 7th in chances.

the only thing that's over-rated about jeter getting the gold glove is the outrage over jeter getting the gold glove. should elvis andrews or guitierez have gotten it over him? sure. is it the most... outrageous thing... ever... that jeter got it? no.

and it's comical to say that this is the one that made the gold glove illegitimate... rafael palmeiro won the gold glove at first base in 1999 despite playing 135 games at DH.

Jeter is good when he gets to the ball. But he rarely does so, particularly moving to his left. You can't make errors when you don't get to the ball.

again... not saying he definitely should have gotten it. just saying

a) he was in the top third of shortstops when it came to chances, meaning he got to the ball more than 2/3rds of the shortstops in the AL

b) he had the highest fielding percentage of any shortstop in baseball

c) the gold glove has been a sham for years, so to get outraged over this as if all of a sudden jeter getting the award cheapens the gold glove is just ridiculous. far... FAR worse fielders have won the award, and you don't have to go back very far to find one (paging you, david wright)

rafael-palmeiro.jpg

"Let me make this perfectly clear, I only made 1 error in 1999...I deserve that award and you can't have it back"

He's a below average fielding shortstop. He's nearly -5 in UZR.

And I know there have been other bad examples. I don't actually mean this is the one, I just mean it's more proof. I didn't know Palmiero got one, that's slightly before my time.

"past a diving jeter" has become one of Michael Kay's staples, so there you have it.

I disagree. I think writers and the like are infatuated with that highlight of him going to his right and throwing off of a jump that pops up once or twice a season. His range sucks, and it's really important to have range at shortstop.

Spoken like a dude who only watches games in the National League and doesn't get to view Jeter on a regular basis.

Spoken like a dude who only watches games in the National League and doesn't get to view Jeter on a regular basis.

Why? I think he is right on the money. And I watched a whole lot of Yankees game this season.

I think he is very sure handed and has a good arm, but he almost never gets to balls on his left side (Cano is more likely to get to balls hit towards the middle than Jeter). I don't think he is OMG WORST DEFENSIVE SHORTSTOP EVER but he is far from a 5-time GG winner.

A-Rod was a better defensive shortstop.

I think he is very sure handed and has a good arm, but he almost never gets to balls on his left side (Cano is more likely to get to balls hit towards the middle than Jeter). I don't think he is OMG WORST DEFENSIVE SHORTSTOP EVER but he is far from a 5-time GG winner.

A-Rod was a better defensive shortstop.

I pretty much agree with this statement. I know his range isn't the greatest, I just wouldn't classify it as sucking per se. He's played 15 seasons. 5 Gold Gloves doesn't seem that wacky.

The world (ESPN) wants everyone to see the Yankees all the time, so I see quite a bit of them.

I have seriously qualms about Jimmy Rollins' hitting, but he's the best fielding shortstop of the last decade. I've never seen him make a bad throw in ten years.

I pretty much agree with this statement. I know his range isn't the greatest, I just wouldn't classify it as sucking per se. He's played 15 seasons. 5 Gold Gloves doesn't seem that wacky.

Given that at least one of Alex Rodriguez, Alex Gonzalez, Juan Uribe, Orlando Cabrera and Elvis Andrus has played a full season at SS in the AL every year of Jeter's career except for 2004, it is completely preposterous that Jeter has multiple Gold Gloves.

Given that at least one of Alex Rodriguez, Alex Gonzalez, Juan Uribe, Orlando Cabrera and Elvis Andrus has played a full season at SS in the AL every year of Jeter's career except for 2004, it is completely preposterous that Jeter has multiple Gold Gloves.

Naturally. :wink: :lol:

Dave Niehaus Passes Away

The Voice of the Mariners, Dave Niehaus passed away Wednesday. He was 75. This is very sad news, especially if you're a Seattle Mariners fan. He was the 2008 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award and had called Mariners games their entire existence, 1977-2010. Summer just won't be the same without hearing "My Oh My", "Fly Away" etc ever again. He will be missed.

my last comment on this jeter thing... the only reason why there is this much outrage is because he's derek jeter. add in the fact that there's been huge talk lately about how he has to change positions because of his contract talks...

david wright has an awful arm and has won two gold gloves very recently. nobody really cared. derek jeter brings out a reaction in people.

my last comment on this jeter thing... the only reason why there is this much outrage is because he's derek jeter. add in the fact that there's been huge talk lately about how he has to change positions because of his contract talks...
Right, but the only reason he has five Gold Gloves is because he's Derek Jeter.

The Real Truth Behind Derek Jeter’s Gold Glove — Revealed!
by Alex Remington
Yesterday, Major League Baseball announced that Derek Jeter just won his fifth Gold Glove at the age of 36. Many people greeted this news with a grin or an eye-roll; Aaron Gleeman pretended to be incredulous that Jeter was “denied a National League Gold Glove award,” while baseball-reference.com briefly posted a comment that said “We can’t believe it either.”

Unfortunately, I can believe it. To explain the reason that Jeter won his Gold Glove requires me to break the omerta of the baseball blogosphere, Thou Shalt Remind People That Jeter’s Defense Sucks. (In order to renew my Fangraphs membership, every six months, Dave Cameron flies out to meet me in an unmarked parking garage in Washington DC, where I swear a blood oath by candlelight on a stack of Necronomicons never to write anything complimentary about Derek Jeter’s mobility or range. Cameron’s post about Jeter yesterday was faithful to our sworn mission.) The awful secret of Derek Jeter’s fifth Gold Glove requires a little background in a few of the more esoteric domains of human knowledge. This may be the most important blog post I ever write; if it is the last, dear readers, only you will know the truth.

Derek Jeter was born on June 26, 1974, or 6/26/74. Six plus 26 is thirty-two — exactly one less than 33, the maximum number of degrees in Freemasonry. James Downard and Michael Hoffman explored the Masonic conspiracy to kill John F. Kennedy in their controversial “KING-KILL/33°,” perhaps the most dangerous anti-Masonic text ever written. They noted that “Oswald may have undergone biotelemetry implantation in the Soviet Union while a “volunteer” at a Behavior Control Center at Minsk.” “Minsk,” of course, is very close to Minka, as in Minka Kelly, Derek Jeter’s alleged fiance. Kelly has neither confirmed nor denied that she and Jeter are Freemasons of the 33rd degree.

Derek Jeter played his first game on May 29, 1995, but didn’t win his first Gold Glove until November 2, 2004: there were 3445 days in between his debut and his first Gold Glove. The base 10 number 3445 is 2652 in base 11; the base 11 number 3445 is 4526 in base 10; 4526 plus 2652 is 7178. During Derek Jeter’s career, no Yankee has ever worn the numbers 71 or 78.

In fact, this number is a code originated by the heretical Rosicrucian sect: the first is a page number, and the second refers to 1978, the year that both Pope John Paul I and Pope John Paul II ascended to the Holy See. On page 71 of “The Secret Doctrine of the Rosicrucians,” the Fifth Aphorism is revealed: “The One is the Flame of Life. The Many are the Sparks in the Flame. The Flame once lighted kindles everything within its sphere. The Fire is in everything and everywhere; there is nothing dark or cold within its sphere.” Five: the number of world championships and Gold Gloves.

“The Flame of Life” is an Italian romance novel first published in English in 1900. On page 55 — five for the championships and five for the Gloves — is written the essence of the Jeter animus:

Their number is made up of those who have drunk in your poetry, who have breathed the fiery ether of your dream, who have felt the clutch of your own chimera. It is made up of those to whom you have promised a stronger and more beautiful life, to whom you have announced the world’s transfiguration by the miracle of a new art.

Voters were powerless in the face of one with mastery over the transfiguration of the world. Derek Jeter is no mere mortal, and his fifth Gold Glove no mere reward for defensive excellence. It is his very birthright, as foretold throughout the ages.

I only pray that I will survive the revelation of these secrets.

The Real Truth Behind Derek Jeter’s Gold Glove — Revealed! | FanGraphs Baseball

I'd guess 3/60. There isn't another team who would pay him even half of that, though.

Back
Top Bottom