MLB 2010 Part 4 - October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd guess 3/60. There isn't another team who would pay him even half of that, though.

Yes, I would say this is a unique negotiation for both sides. Jeter just came off a sub standard season, so his numbers don't reinforce getting a raise. The Yanks, on the other hand, want to show Jeter how much he means or has meant to the organization, but don't want to overpay him too much. There's really no leverage for Jeter here except for all that he has accomplished as a Yankee and his tremendous popularity with fans. :wink:

Seeing as how Jeter has been reasonably healthy throughout his career, I could see him getting a 3 year deal with perhaps an option for a 4th. Jorge Posada will be in the last year of his deal in 2011. My guess says that, unless Jorge has a stellar season, 2011 will be his last year before he retires. I don't see the Yanks offering Jorge a multi year deal for 2012 and beyond. How does Jeter fit into this? Jorge will be the Yanks' primary DH in 2011. I would think by 2012, Jeter would be DHing a lot more and playing shortstop perhaps a lot less. This would be, of course, contingent upon the Yanks having a capable shortstop/infielder in their farm system to take over for Jeter if eventually his playing time at short is greatly decreased or indeed ended. By 2013/14, Jeter could be a full time DH in the manner of say Paul Molitor back in the early 90's with the Blue Jays. Molitor was a hitting machine and being the Jays full time DH helped him stay healthier when he was in his late 30's. The Yanks and Jeter could only hope. :wink: Now, obviously, this is just wishful thinking. Hopefully, the Yanks and Jeter come to terms in a timely fashion.

Buster Posey and Neftali Feliz won the Rookie of the Year.

I think Heyward was more deserving. Can't disagree with Feliz over Jackson, though.

I looked at the stats and it's actually much closer than I thought, maybe I was overrating Heyward due to his hot start. For what it's worth, Fangraphs has Heyward worth 5 WAR versus 3.9 for Posey (but Heyward played much more than Posey). The other stats are actually very close, so I retract my original point.

Posey played something like 35 less games than Heyward and put up similar power stats.

And Posey's got him beat in OPS and batting average. The latter he has him beat easily.

I didn't get to watch either player all that much, so I don't really know. But just looking at the stats, to me it clearly should have been Posey.

and this guy:

Buster+Bluth+and+Camel.jpg

Congrats to Doc Halliday for winning the NL Cy Young. What a dominating season he had.

Why would a team that wants to rebuild from the ground up trade away a 23 year old with massive upside? I don't understand Towers' logic here, I guess.

I don't get it either. Maybe they are afraid of injury risks? Still crazy, Upton could be a guy to build your team around.

Has anyone seen how the football field fits into Wrigley?
Goal post bolted to outfield wall...literally 6 inches between back line of endzone and brick (now padded) outfield wall....somebody's gonna get whomped by that wall.

Has anyone seen how the football field fits into Wrigley?
Goal post bolted to outfield wall...literally 6 inches between back line of endzone and brick (now padded) outfield wall....somebody's gonna get whomped by that wall.

Yes, a very obvious reminder of why Da Bears moved to Soldier Field. Wrigley Field ain't a football stadium.

What really sucks about the game is that it could have been pretty fucking meaningful for us, I mean we can still get bowl eligible with a win, but the last two weeks have been just gutbusting heartbreakers. First the fucking 198-195 shootout against Michigan and then a total 4th quarter fuck up against Minnesota.

Still looking forward to it. We should fuck 'em up, and, yeah, hopefully a Wildcat gets plastered up against one of those walls.

Wow, I just realized this is not the college football thread.

Go White Sox!

Back
Top Bottom