MERGED-->U2 are moving to Montreal???? + This just in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZooMacPhisto800 said:
:sad: no! U2's moving here OK... you can say what you want but you don't know because you weren't there. U2's moving to Montreal... OK? Is that so wrong?

Not sure who this is directed at but if it`s at me, yes, I was there and that`s exactly why I said they`re not moving there. The others burst out laughing.

Trust me - I WANT them to move there, I do, I do, I do!!! I live 1.5 hours away - it would be a dream come true :drool:

But if it makes you feel better to think they are moving there then go ahead and think that.

I`ve also heard they flew out to Mexico last night - doesn`t sound like the actions of a band who`s looking for a house. Sorry!

(I just read that last night Bono mentionned something again about renting a house, so I give up, maybe they WILL get a place in Montréal. Montréal is one of North America`s best cities - I certainly hope so!!)

Fred - yes, so sorry I missed you! Did you add San Diego in your list of cities because that`s where I met you!!!
I`m probably all done for this tour unless I can get my hands on tickets for Mexico City!!
Montréal did me proud this past weekend! :yes:

Last edited:
i think U2 will use Montreal as their home recording base (too many distractions in New York) and fly there between and after shows as they put the finishing touches on the new album that's coming out summer of 2006 in the midst of their North American victory lap of stadium shows; the album will be out before the end of the tour, just in time to be played for the European victory lap stadium tour in 2006.

really. i swear.

Fake Edge told me.

ladywithspinninghead said:
Not sure who this is directed at but if it`s at me, yes, I was there and that`s exactly why I said they`re not moving there. The others burst out laughing.

NO! The others burst out laughing because someone held up a funny sign! Someone else saw this right? U2 is moving to Montreal... someone back me up... please???

LOL....well we can all hope anyway. I'd imagine they'd rent a place here in the summer, as it's the best time to be in the city, what with all the livelyness, festivals, culture, etc.

I doubt they'd move to Montreal. It's about 99.9% likely that Bono was just pandering to the crowd. But you know, I could possibly see them staying there for a little while, like they did in Berlin. We all know U2 like The Arcade Fire...and the Montreal music scene is on fire at the moment...so perhaps they want to soak in the atmosphere of that great city in search of new inspiration? Likely not the case, but one can dream. :drool:

"Vive Montreal, Vive les Habs, Vive U2 a Montreal"

You picked the right hockey team, Bono! :rockon:

It should be considered that Bono was just playing to the crowd. He knows how to get an audience going.

A little anecdote:
After one performance in Montreal in February, 2003, Bon Jovi said, "see you again in July" and the crowd went ever more nuts assuming that they were being rewarded for the special show they gave back to the band. But of course we never saw him in July. Business people (tour operators and producers)stepped him and reminded Mr. Bon Jovi that on shorter victory lap legs, secondary markets must be shaved and Montreal is usually one of the first ones to go. It is not the place to maximize exposure and profits, since it is a cultural island, quite isolated from mainstream north American culture and media.

-Has Montreal the loudest and most raucous crowds? Absolutely.
-Is that what the band's tour producers and management care about? Not likely.

Unless for some artsy, inspirational purpose (or because they want to "live large" as Bono put it), what would be the point of U2 living in Montreal? Especially when Boston, New York and Toronto (all much bigger markets) are in such close proximity and could guarantee them much greater exposure. I can see no financial benefit, except that if somehow the Montreal 'scene' inspires them and they produce Achtung Baby II. Even then, U2's precambrian management will, I suspect, discourage the idea because it houses little short term profit.

This short-term strategy would be directly in line with the current album and tour strategy: INSTANT MAINSTREAM GRATIFICATION. For example, playing 8 Boston/Chicago shows and 10+ New York area shows. It's also in line with the North American DVD production. No offense to those at the Chicago shows (you have a great bunch of fans and a beautiful city) but that DVD is really, really sterile and IMO it captures nothing of the U2 experiences I have had. But the name Chicago on the box instantly sells more DVDs than most other cities. Instant. mainstream. gratification.

This is not always sound business strategy. After all, something gets poor reviews then fewer people will buy it. If it's sterile, it contributes to the notion that U2 in their 40s are...past it. In the long run it might prove more advantageous one day to produce an album or film a DVD in a secondary city which blows the inspiration, performance and the production out of proportion, manking it an experience to listen to/watch and perpetuating U2's image as a cutting edge band with staying power. You decide which one you'd rather see as global consumers.

Unfortunately it would take someone with some real intestinal fortitude and divine-like power to recommend changing business strategies when the band sells out entire tours in less than a day. As far as I can tell, unless someone in U2's management contracts a case of originality and mitopia very quickly, this kind of strategy is not going to be employed. Again, within the current strategy of instant, mainstream gratification, I highly doubt you will see U2 in Montreal.

But there's no point in arguing. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Isn't it possible that Bono meant to say something else and it came out wrong? We all know he can't count in Spanish. Maybe his command of French isn't much better. :wink:

Either that, or it was the usual Bono hyperbole.

I’ve been to enough shows and listened to enough boots of this tour to know that Bono says something nice about every city, it’s just show business. I’m sure that a lot of fans leave the concert feeling that it was a “special” event just for them and their city and I’ve read many comments on this board along those lines. Bono’s a good showman and wants to be sure that the fans have a good time and there’s nothing wrong with that even if every city is his favorite city, that night anyway.

It would be really sad that a person like Bono (I mean, U2 is still one of the best rock bands in the world and are implicated in many causes...) did such a bad joke to 20 300 fans. Anyway, we shouldn't worry too much : they have enough pocket money to buy more than a splendid house over there :p They can live almost anywhere they want, even if it's just for their tour or vacations. Montreal is still a nice place to hang during summer.

Weither they were serious or not, we'll end up knowing it soon lol Obviously. And if it was a joke, it wasn't a really nice one to do though.

If it's not true, vervex, take heart. I would think it's less a "joke" and more of "you shouldn't believe everything Bono says, because each night they play a concert, he loves that audience and will say anything to show it."

:wink:

I wouldn't do that to my audience ;) I know most of the people there who believed it will be very crushed when they'll learn it was kinda fake. For myself, it doesn't really matter, but I think about the impact on the groopies from Montreal and it makes me sad. In my opinion, it's not something to say ;)

I think it is very possible that Bono is planning on doing some multi-tasking next summer. Working on the new album can be done just about anywhere. I can see where Bono would have a full agenda there. He may be planning to use this time to rebound his efforts to increase Canadian foreign aid to Africa. If they really do plan to spend time there, just wonder what the other band members think about it.

This just in:

You can believe everything Bono says!!!

They are moving to Montreal.

The next album will be out in 06.

They wrote punk rock from Venus.

And indeed Bono is baby Jesus.

Please people.:rolleyes:

edit

You can believe everything Bono says!!! (though everything you know is wrong)

They are moving to Montreal. (temporarily to avoid paying taxes)

The next album will be out in 06. (3006)

They wrote punk rock from Venus. (Patti Smith inspired Lady With The Spinning Head)

And indeed Bono is baby Jesus. (Bono is working on baby Elvis for sure)

:lol:
uhoh.gif

Someone pointed out that Larry smiled after Bono said that U2 was moving to Montreal in support of the conclusion that Bono was just playing the crowd. After careful thought yesterday, I came to the conclusion that this premise does not support the intended conclusion. Fact: Larry does not understand French. It was therefore impossible for Larry's reaction to be linked to Bono's statement. I will be waiting outside the hotel tonight from 10 PM - 4 AM, surely Bono will come sign my HTDAAB CD.

This just in...

... If Bono and/or the entire band were actually moving to Montreal, do you really think they would announce it to 20,000+ people? :laugh:
Come on guys, they like their privacy just like everyone else.

Angel said:
I'd rethink that. The average temperature here in Jan. and Feb. is like -20

Ahahah -20 is not that bad ;) You get used. I'll move to Montreal next summer (and it was planned before Bono's declaration, of course) and get some degres... ;) In Quebec City, 2h30 away from there, it's always 2 or 3 degres COLDER. I live in the beginning of the chains of mountains over there (old Val-Belair for the ones who know, at 20 from the center of the city) and there's always more snow anyway.

Winter is winter...

he said very quickly in french, and most people didnt get it lol:

"est-ce que quelqu'un a un appartement?"

"does anyone have an appartment?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom