MERGED-->Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daveone said:
I wasn't a fan until about 6 or 7 listens and then for a week i really enjoyed it. Now though it sounds like unimaginative crap. Vertigo is great, SYCMIOYO is a grower and LPOE is a decent attempt to challenge themselves but apart from that its all a bit blah... I know a lot of people hate criticism against U2 (including myself) but this album is just to much of an attempt to make good, radio friendly, grammy-worthy music for the USA. It sounds like an album a bunch of 40 year olds would make, full of nice melodies. U2 have always been about staying relevant and being fresh and they've managed to do this until now. ATYCLB sounded like nothing they had done before, yeah it was just 4 people playing together but it created fresh and original sounds. This album, for me at least, is just to much like their old stuff. Fast Cars and Mercy sounded fresh and exciting and unique in the U2 canon yet they probably weren't deemed nice enough for American radio. U2 have become to obsessed with being the biggest band in the world. Pop was the worst thing that happened to them, it's a great album but they were stung by its commercial failings. Up until that point being the biggest band in the world had given them the freedom to be experimental and unique but once they had one mis-step they must have thought "oh look were not the biggest band in the world anymore, the american public aren't buying our album" and went back to the safe music with ATYCLB. ATYCLB was still a good album because it wasn't reminescent of past glory, it may have been over-produced and had a few weak songs but it was still an original inclusion into their discography. Bomb... isn't. Vertigo is one of the best things they've ever done, it was reminescent of other garage rock but it still sounded fresh and cool. If they forgot about selling 14 million records for a second and concentrated on making challenging and fresh music for a second we might have had a decent album. Bono's lyrics and approach to songwriting is also getting pretty basic, its like every song on the album needs a sing along chorus - what happened to the clever, thoughtful lyrics of albums past?

I do really love U2 and i hate criticising them, especially on a fan forum, but i have never felt so dissapointed about anything before. Don't shout at me!

Love and peace (or else)

Well I have to say this, absolutely correct, you have all the sentiments in this review that I have, but it looks like were the minority. I wouldn't say it is absolute crap cos I love Love and Peace Or Else and Original Of The Species but there is just too many singalonga choruses and anyone that says thats what they've always done has not listened to their best work or is listening to different albums than me. It is obviously been made to suit the American market like the last album was, and to be honest it is very similar to the last album.

RobertWiscy said:

I'll give it a week or two and see what I think then. I wonder what the earlier (late 2003) version of this album might've sounded like -- if it was more raw, rockier/punkier.

Mmmm well thats what they said Pop was, unfinished and that was fuc#ing great, so I bet you any money the unfinished 2003 versions were far superior.

The Sequence bw 4 to 7 is awesome. The must play AMAAW in concert. SYCMOYO simply is not doing it for me. A lot folks love it but it reminds me of the molasses that was Stuck in a moment.

Later.

OK, this thing is really starting to grow on me. Here's what I wrote yesterday:

11-22-2004 11:13 AM -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tend to agree with this review; although I wouldn't be quite as harsh.

I like the first half very well. The second half is rather weak. And I've listened to almost all of the songs numerous times.

The GREAT songs on this album are
-Vertigo
-Miracle Drug
-Love And Peace Or Else
-City Of Blinding Lights

The GOOD/O.K. songs are:
-All Because Of You
-Yahweh

These, I feel, are SO-SO:
-A Man And A Woman
-Crumbs From Your Table
-Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

And I don't like these:
-One Step Closer
-Original Of The Species

I'll give it a week or two and see what I think then. I wonder what the earlier (late 2003) version of this album might've sounded like -- if it was more raw, rockier/punkier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TODAY . . . Nov23 . . . I have to say that the following songs have really grown on me:

Yahweh -- this is much, much better than I originally thought. It's a gorgeous song.

All Because Of You -- this ROCKS. I love it. It ends a little too quickly maybe?

Crumbs From Your Table -- I LOVE this song now!! It's awesome.

One Step Closer -- Starting to grow on me.

This album is starting to remind me of Joshua Tree more and more, particularly the second half.

It's really two albums in one:

First half -- really energetic, upbeat, and some flat-out rock. Awesome stuff which I liked immediately.

Second half -- more of the atmospheric, moody stuff they used to do 20 years ago. The second half of the album, I didn't like much of it the first few times. Now, I'm starting to love it. Very emotional stuff.

Very spiritual album overall. Subtle -- but faith/belief/Christianity comes through in almost every single song.

This is up there with their best stuff.

I've just heard the entire album for the first time.

I don't yet know how it will hold up under repeated listenings. But for right now--it's up there with AB for my favorite U2 album. And I think this is going to knock "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" out of its spot as my favorite album of the decade.

I especially love "Miracle Drug," "Sometimes...", and "City of Blinding Lights." But there is not a bad song on this album! The weakest track is "Love & Peace Or Else,"--Led Zeppelin did this sort of thing better--but I still like it.

Magnificent, just magnificent!!! :up: :applaud:

My favs

COBL
LAPOE
ABOY
OOTS

I tend to like the the ballads least :slant: Am I weird? lol.

After 1 day, my impressions are very even album, good second half. Certainly more Edge and a better Bono than I expected from the reviews of those who downloaded. I don't know yet where I would rate it among the rest of U2's albums.
I can't compare it to other albums, the only link to ATYCLB is Original of the species, otherwise it reminds me of AB on All because of you and Love and peace, also Crumbs.
Vertigo is a mix of early 80's and 90's U2.
MDH/Passengers-like One step closer, as for Miracle Drug, City of blinding lights and Yahweh I am reminded of Coldplay - I suppose something between UF and JT sound.
Man and woman is jazzy/soul song, and Sometimes also starts quiet and slow, but the epic finish (I dare say among the best if not THE Bono moment ever) is similar to the sonic soundscapes of JT.

Faves: Sometimes... (we have another One IMO - the song of the album), Original of the species (Beatles-like), All because of you (the band rock on this one) and Crumbs from your table. Also Miracle Drug.

Least fave: Vertigo, Yahweh.

Growers: Love and peace, Man and woman, One step closer.

So-so: City of blinding lights(except the "Time..." part and afterwards)

That said, this might the the second U2 album since AB (and the second of all albums I ever heard) where I will not be skipping songs.

Last edited:
LiveFire said:
The album should have sounded a whole lot more like the SNL versions. They don't seem to be as bland as the album tracks.

Daveone you are not alone.

But that is what U2 is all about! They are live at their best... I don´t understand why you say this. Listen for example to ´Kite´ on ATYCLB and then please grap the Slane DVD...

I´m glad U2 can deliver on stage and they will next year!

namkcuR's HTDAAB Review: A Novel

Today is 23 November 2004, an overcast Tuesday afternoon. I have finally gotten my hands on the most expensive of the 4389304984 formats that U2's 11th studio record, 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb', was released in today in the U.S.(Our friends in Europe got the record yesterday).

I have given it a listen, all 12 tracks - the U.S. Super-Duper-Ultra-Limited Box Edition of the record DOES include 'Fast Cars', the track left of the regulation U.S. copies of the record - to give the record its official Christining, if you will, in this househould. Having heard it countless times in the last two weeks due to the leak, however, I have listened to the record more than enough to give an accurate and meaningful review.

Is this record of the quality witnessed on such U2 epics like 1991's 'Achtung Baby' or 1987's 'Joshua Tree'? No. Is this record a clone of the generally bland(though critically acclaimed) 2000 release, 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'? No, it's far better. Is this record a return to the industrial-techno-dance genre that U2 immersed themselves in for the better part of a decade during the 90s? With the exception of one track, no. So then, you ask, what IS this record? The answer is simple: This record is a great rock record from one of the great and seminmal presences in rock history. And while this record doesn't have the sheer brilliance of earlier U2 releases, it does have about 5 times the heart and passion(not to mention the quality of Bono's vocals) as the aforementioned 2000 release, and it has some damn good songwriting as well.

'Vertigo', the opening track, is also the first single and as such, everyone has heard it by now. This is U2 101, and it is U2 with its first straight-on rocker in some time. Traces of U2 lore can be heard here - the presence of the ghosts of 'Even Better Than The Real Thing', 'The Fly' ,'I Will Follow', and 'Beautiful Day' are unmistakable to the ear of any longtime U2 fan. With a catchy-as-hell chorus and one of Edge's loudest and hardest solos of the record, as well as some brand new Bono lyric-catch-phrases(Just give me want I want and no one gets hurt; swinging with the music), this was the perfect choice for a first single. 7/10

'Miracle Drug' is one of the best songs on the record. Parts of it we've heard U2 do a million times before, other parts of it sound fresh and new. The meaning behind the chorus and indeed the whole song is the search for a cure for any number of as-yet-uncured diseases, AIDs, paralysis, and others among them. According to the band, this song was additionally inspired by the plight of an old school friend. Perhaps more than any other track on the record, Edge shows off his individual brilliance here, with a spine-chilling solo late in the song, and then a rare stint as lead vocalist for one bridge. But true to form, for his first lead vocal since 1993's 'Numb', he chose to sing some of the best lyrics on the entire record - "Beneath the noise/Below the din/I hear a voice/It's whispering/In science and in medicine/I was a stranger/You took me in" - just before Bono soars back in with the final chorus, which has a slightly altered melody from the first chorus that improves said chrous by 500%. This is the first classic of the record. 10/10

'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' is the signature power-ballad U2 places on every record it records. But perhaps this one, while not having the lyrical genius of 'One' or the musical genius of 'With Or Without You', is more personal to the band and Bono in particular than either of the aforementioned ballads. This song was written about Bono's relationship with his late father Bob, who passed away in late 2001. However personal it may be, it expresses a sentiment legions of people can relate to - "And it's you when I look in the mirror/And it's you when I don't pick up the phone/Sometimes you can't make it/on your own". These lyrics are sung in a heartbreakingly beautiful falsetto by Bono, and Edge adds backing vocals later in the song. And while the song speeds up midway through, it never loses its underlying sentiment. It tugs even more in the final chorus when Bono adds "Best you can do/Is to fake it/Sometimes you can't make it/on your own". How many times have you faked being 'ok' when you're really not? This is the second classic on the record, and of the best ballads U2 have recorded in the past decade, right up there with 'Miss Sarajevo'. 10/10

'Love And Peace Or Else' is the one track on the record that takes a page from the industrial-techno-dance-obsessed U2 of the 90s. If you have any doubts about Adam Clayton's abilities as a bassist, listen to this song. Your doubts will mysteriously vanish as if they never existed. Clayton is indeed the star for the first minute of this very thumpy rocky electronic peace anthem, until Bono and Edge kick in. I don't know where so many critics have gotten the idea that there are no politics on this record, because this song is obviously about the concept of talking vs fighting. For a flaming, bleeding-heart liberal like myself, seeing the greatest band in the world tear through a quite catch techno-rocker like this with the purpose of sending the message of love and peace or else, is quite liberating and energy-raising. "I don't know if I can take it/I'm not easy on my knees/here's my heart I'll let you break it/we need some release/we need love and peace". Indeed. A welcome return to tehcnoville for U2, especially for fans like me who thought 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' meant U2 had lost the courage to make a songs like this anymore. 9/10

'City Of Blinding Lights' is infuriatingly catchy. It's the kind of song you can't get out of your head even if you were labotomized. But that's ok, because where other songs in the aforementioned category, like Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You', are migrane-inducing, this song is great, and touching when you consider the context. Now, I know what you're thinking as you hear the first minute of this song: Do I have this Journey CD? What happened to the new U2 record? And then the Journey-esque keyboards(which are, again, infuriatingly catchy) finish, and the band comes in to start the song that, in my ever-so-humble opinion, has more live potential than any other song on this record. The city being referred to is none other than New York City, and the song is simply about when U2 played the Fall shows there during the Elevation Tour 2001, shortly after 9/11, and how emotional the crowds there were. In this context, the chorus lyrics "Oh you look so beautiful/Tonight/In the city/Of blinding lights" mean quite a bit more than you may have thought at first. This song is only made better by Edge's backing vocals during the repetitions of the final chorus, which I think are quite brilliant. This is the third classic on this record. 10/10

'All Because Of You' might be a little overrated already, if you ask me. I only say this because it's the most repetative song on the record. However, save for Vertigo, this is the most straight-up rock number on the record, and it is blistering at times. Bono is either singing this song to Jesus or to his fans or to his wife or to his dog, take your pick, use your imagination. The great thing about U2's religious songs is that they don't have to be religious if you don't want them to be, which bodes well for people like me who generally don't share U2's beliefs(or any religious beliefs). This song definitely hits its high point in its last third, where Edge does a mini-solo, Bono screams, and then Edge goes all out. Bono screaming is cool. Unless you have ginger-colored hair and think you're cooler than you are, you will agree(inside joke for Poplemoners). Should be killer live. Expect the kind of improvement of this song when played live that 'Bullet The Blue Sky' got when played live. 7/10

'A Man And A Woman' is one of the most unique songs on the record. It's almost an acoustic ballad, a cross of 'Love Comes Tumbling', 'The Three Sunrises', and an acoustic 'Mysterious Ways', if you will, to create something I've never heard U2 do before, but it is utterly beautiful and a personal favorite of mine. I've noticed that a lot of people are quick to say this is a weak track. I don't know why. The acoustic guitars and the harmonies of Bono and Edge's vocals together, as well as the lyrics - it is another love song, but it speaks of perhaps the most mature love Bono has ever written about - make for a chilling experience, for me at least. 10/10

'Crumbs From Your Table' is a semi-straight-on rocker. It is very similar to the post 9/11 anthem 'Walk On', except it's less melodic and is much rockier. When sings the chorus - "I would believe/If I was able/I'm leaning on the crumbs/From Your table" - I am musically reminded of Velvet Revolver's 'Fall To Pieces'. That is a good thing. There isn't a whole lot to say about this song except that it is a grower, and while it may not seem great the first time you hear it, it gets better and better with each listen. 9/10

'One Step Closer' is a very instrumental song - again about Bono and his late father - that sounds like it could have come straight off U2's ill-fated - but nontheless farking brilliant - 90s side project, 'Passengers Original Soundtracks #1'. It has the same relaxing, other-worldly ambiance that the aforementioned record did, and really settles you down after a block of songs that were mostly rock numbers. The sentiment in this song is pretty universal - after you've been through anything deep and life-altering, you're 'one step closer to knowing'. 8/10

'Original Of The Species' - first thing's first: This is the coolest U2 song title since 'Mofo' from 1997's unfairly critically dismissed 'Pop'. However, this is a very different song. This song is another power ballad, but this time it's about celebrating new life and the uniqueness of every life, and about how no one should be afraid to be themself. This song is quite interesting because it has several well-defined parts. First you have the quiet beginning - "You are the first one of your kind" - then you have the bridge - "And you feel like no one before" - then the chorus, one of the most beautiful choruses U2 have put out in years - "Everywhere you go/You shout it/You don't have to be shy/About it", then it goes through it all again before culminating with a coda - "I want you some more/I want you some more" - and concluding with Bono and Edge harmonizing without descipherable words - "Oh no, Oh no, Oh no". This song was featured in Bono's 60 Minutes interview several years ago. A lot of fans wondered what it was, and are now rewarded for the wait by seeing it here. This is the fourth classic on this record. 10/10

'Yahweh' - U2 have a tradition of putting depressing downer type songs to finish their records, so it was a surprise to many fans when this, the final song on the regulation formats of this record, was uplifting and anthemic. There's not a whole lot to this song, but the chorus just makes you feel good. 'Yahweh' is Hebrew for 'God', but I can ignore it if it's on music this good. Lest I forget, Edge shines sublty on this song. But as good as it is, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's U2's best closer since "40", as many fans have suggested since the record leaked. See, that would be saying it's better than 'All I Want Is You' and 'Love Is Blindness' and, it's just not. Great and uplifting closer nontheless. 8/10

'Fast Cars' is the track that initially was only going to be on the UK presses of the record, and then was added to the box editions of the record worldwide. And I'm happy as hell it did. This is a fantastic song and is more experimental than anything on the regulation record except for 'Love And Peace Or Else'. This has a very Middle-Eastern influence, and is incredibly catchy. The record's title comes from a line in this song("They're in the desert to dismantle an atomic bomb"), so it is a bit ironic that this song only made certain editions of the record. It should have been on all of them. The interlude after the second chorus in which both Bono and Edge sing - "Don't you worry 'bout your mind/Don't you worry 'bout your mind/Don't you worry 'bout your mind/Don't you worry 'bout your mind/You should worry about the day/That the pain it goes away/You know I miss mine sometimes" - is brilliant. The two men's voices compliment each other perfectly and this is a perfect example of that. This might cause some to roll their eyes, but this is the fifth classic on this record. 10/10

Overall this record gets a 9/10. I don't give it a 9/10 because I think it's that close to 'Achtung Baby' or 'Joshua Tree', I give it a 9/10 because the album is consistantly great all the way through. It's not epic, but it's great. There is a difference. That said, I will say what everyone else seems to be saying: Bono's voice sounds better than it has in a decade, Edge is playing guitar like hasn't since at least 'Pop', maybe before, and Clayton and drummer(also founder) Larry Mullen Jr. have shown on this record why they're one of the great rhythm sections(and they were even better on 'Pop'). Finally, don't ever listen to Bono. He said it was an all out rock record. It's not. Nobody's surprised. It is the best record of 2004 though, and perhaps one of the top 5 records U2 have ever recorded, in terms of consistancy and performance, even if it doesn't have the cinematic epic quality of their 80s work or the sheer dark brilliance of their 90s work. Get the Bomb today.

This review will be out in paperback by the end of the month.

P.S.I'm posting this on other forums too.

Fast Cars is a very good song! I just got the Ultra-Super-Duper-Deluxe-Collector's-Edition version of the album. (What's with the NO LYRICS?)

I don't know if this song is worth the extra $15 -- but it's fun to listen to. I believe this is the first Spanish Punk song in recording history.

My meaningless little review after having the album since the leak...

Hated ABOY at first... hated it... hated LAPOE too...
Now I love them both. I originally liked OOTS, now... not so much... seems a bit overdone to me, the orchestra parts just seem too blah. I do love the album... is it as good as AB or JT? Not in my current opinion... but it might be #3 or #4 in the pantheon of U2 albums... which is an incredible achievement this far in. Funny thing is, I know they can do better, and I know they would have done better had Bono not been so preoccupied with his "other" job.
I also feel like U2 fans are very split... and that half of them probably won't like this album.. much like the critics... and there is nothing U2 can do about this. They have 2 distinct eras... the 80's and the 90's/00's... if you like the 80's and didn't like the 90's... you will probably love the album.. if you are a fan of the 90's U2... you probably won't be impressed... it's sad that it's going to be this way but it is their fault for being such a diverse band and not staying with the same sound like 99% of other bands, who don't have the guts to change and experiment for fear of failure or selling less albums... One thing you have to admire them for... fan or not... U2 aims high every time out and I love them for it. I'm just so proud to be a U2 fan and to be around to see yet another U2 era begin. Edge recently said they might have another 25 years left in them? I wouldn't doubt it. These guys have proven they can do the impossible. Again, so proud of these guys. Great job... and I know that the songs will even be MUCH better on tour... can't wait for that. Keep going guys... I know you have an even better one in store for us one day.

One of Bono's favourite quotes regarding the releasing of the last few U2 albums, is that they've each been records the band were "waiting their whole lives to make". Upon the release of the bomb, I'd learned to take this echoing claim with a pinch of salt but I must say...
This is the record I've been waiting my whole life to hear.
Perhaps the relative novelty of HTDAAB is skewing my judgement but I can clearly remember not feeling these levels of elation within the first few days of Pop and ATYCLB getting released.
No other U2 album has made me feel so emotional and proud to be a fan and though its still early days, I have a very strong gut feeling about this one. :dance:

RobertWiscy said:
I believe this is the first Spanish Punk song in recording history.

No!!!! - it's over 20 years bands based in Spanish speaking countries are recording punk songs and albums!!! Anyway Fast Cars is not precisely punk...

Seabird said:
I like the album very much, especially City of Blinding Lights and Vertigo.

Oops, sorry. :) No offense meant.

I guess FOR ME it's the first Spanish Punk song I've ever heard. I guess what I've heard is not the entire history of recorded music. Tough lesson to learn this late in life. ;)

I read a review that said ATYCLB was U2 wondering if they were still cool and were cautious with their music, and with this album they know they are the biggest band in the world. I totally agree with this. I think this is the best the band has done musically, especially Edge who does amazing guitar work and Adam excels at bass. It also sounds as if the band had a lot of fun making this, despite that it took so long to complete it. The Latin sounding guitar, synthesizers show the band were more relaxed in making this album than their last one.

The best part about this album is I don't think there's a weak track on it. Sure, there are some that I like better than others or need to grow on me, but there's not one where I can immediately say U2 could've done better or Bono's lyrics aren't great. All of them are unique and fantastic in their own way, and I doubt I would want to skip any one of them in the future.

Here are my favorites:
SYCMIOYO - Instant classic, and a very powerful, emotional song. I get a little teary eyed when I listen to it. Already one of my all-time U2 favorites

LAPOE - the opening is what I mean U2 were relaxed making this CD. No band would have the guts to create a sound like that while knowing they're a great band. Bono also sounds great here.

OOTS - another powerful song that would be a classic, and it sounds better live.

AMAAW - I like the Spanish sounding sound, fitting for Ali's "Spanish Eyes" as Bono often calls them.

Miracle Drug - Lyrics are great on this one!

CFYT - Lyrics good here as well.

I have to listen to One Step Closer, COBL, Yahweh more to make a final review. ABOY has been over-hyped and I tend to ignore it when it plays. And Vertigo I had my opinion on when it came out a month ago, so I let that pass.

Oh yeah - I actually like Fast Cars! The sound actually, Bono sounds good here. Lyrics are so-so.

Its a good album! The boys did great on this one!

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
(An Essay)

It's taken me a couple of weeks to be able to get down on "paper" exactly how I feel about the Bomb. This has been an experience unlike almost anything I've ever had before. But I've now heard the album enough times (around 60) to feel like I can be somewhat objective in my review.

I've been a U2 fan since 1988, and a huge music fan since the mid 70's. I remember songs from the 60's when they were new songs. Yes, I'm old. :wink: U2-old. You call it.

This was supposed to be a review. But how do you just write a review about a life-changing album? I don't know how long this feeling will last, but this album has calmed me, even more than Coldplay's Rush Of Blood To The Head.

I always considered The Joshua Tree a miracle of an album, with the best opening three I have ever heard. It's still a miracle. And so is this. Which makes sense, because I consider it to have the best closing four I have ever heard.

The magic is back.

1 - Vertigo (8.5) - Very fun, and not very substantial rock tune. This is just as fun as it was from the beginning, which surprises me. Yes, Bono proved that the Edge can do the Hives and White Stripes better than they can, if that was the true goal. It is very smart that they made this the lead single, because it sets everyone up to listen to the whole thing before they realize that the rest of the album is not really like it at all. It sucks you in, and once it has you in its grip, the beauty of Miracle Drug envelopes you before you have a chance to complain that this isn't a hard rock album. At that point you are now accepting that U2 is best at what they do best-- being U2. And now you are very happy and open to finding out if the rest of the album is just as magical. And then you find out that it is. Since I've already started my Miracle Drug review...

2 - Miracle Drug (9.5) - It was quite obvious, even from the lousy beach recording, that this was destined to be a classic, on the level of WOWY and One. Mark my words -- it will be. I would love to see an embellishment of this song live, as was done with the other two. I think there is so much there to work with live. Bono can actually take off and fly with this if he feels like it. I think this song, more than any other, will make fans of non U2 fans. It's quickly become my wife's favorite song from the album, and she's not a U2 fan. She does like the album, though, as does everyone, U2 fan or otherwise, that I've played it for. If it weren't for the fact that it ends too soon, it would be a 10. It still may get there, depending what they do with it live.

This is a great example of how the Edge makes perfect use of sparse guitar parts to reach emotional highs. That simple ringing riff at the start of each verse is signature of U2 classics. I am so happy that his ripping bridge solo before his four vocal lines was allowed to breath. It's not buried, which is unfortunately sometimes the case with the production of some other U2 songs. And, yes, people, that IS the Edge singing those four lines! And when Bono joins in it is just perfect.

3 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (10) - This has grown big time for me. In five years, we will be calling this the next "One". As we have already seen hints of, this will become HUGE live. The emotion is there. It may appear to be MOR to first-time listeners, but U2 did add magic to it to take it to the next level. Just listen in the headphones, and get swallowed up by the emotion. Trust me -- you WILL love this song, if you don't already.

4 - Love And Peace Or Else (7) - I'm not a big fan of this sound. I feel that this song is definitely overrated. As many people suggested, it is NIN-like, but I am not a fan of NIN. You can also hear some Depeche Mode here, but, although I am a DM fan, there are some songs from them that I don't care for much -- and this is the DM that I hear. Having said that, this song has definitely grown on me, especially the second half, which has some amazing sounds. This is definitely the next "Bullet The Blue Sky". Unfortunately, I often skip BTBS when listening to The Joshua Tree. But, as I often said, U2 are an amazing band, touching such a wide range of people, because although people can usually agree that they love their albums, they often disagree why, on a song-by-song basis. THAT'S why U2 is so universally loved.

5 - City Of Blinding Lights (9) - I loved this when I first heard it live, but the fist-pumping chorus didn't really grab me. Now, it's my favorite part of the song. A lot of people seem to feel that this has the best intro since "Where The Streets Have No Name", but I really don't feel that at all. It has a nice buildup, but nothing touches that "Streets" intro, only matched by its outtro -- that's magical. I love the guitar in this one, with the Edge basically using it as a horn section, if you hear what I mean. Adam shines in this one, too, as does Larry. Too many people have commented how Larry seems muted in this album. Huh? First of all, what do you want -- crazy drum solos serving no purpose other than to call attention to himself??? Secondly, he does exactly what he should do -- carries the rhythm along with Adam. And he does it perfectly! This would be great if it follows "Streets" live, and it closes the set before the encore, since it was mainly written about the live performance of "Streets" in the first NY show after 9/11.

6 - All Because Of You (8.5) - I did NOT like this song at first. I thought (and still do think) that the chorus was way too simplistic. But this song freaking rocks! It reminds me of very old U2 -- I'm talking pre-Boy U2. Listen to some of the demos and early performances to hear what I mean. But it is early U2 greatly improved and matured. I'm pretty sure the chorus is intentionally simplistic. But the Edge shines more here than on any song other than perhaps Mercy, which isn't *really* on the album, anyway. And when was the last time you heard Bono scream like that in a song? Never? I now look forward to this song when listening to the album. Wow. I think it could be a huge single.

7 - A Man And A Woman (8) - This song is definitely underrated. Yes, it is the most MOR song on the album, and I can handle one per album, but it is done VERY well. Adam absolutely shines on this song. As a matter of fact, despite what Bono says about this being The Edge's album (and he is classic Edge, here), this is *really* Adam's album. He is awesome.

8 - Crumbs From Your Table (9.5) - Several magazine reviews were beyond crazy -- this should be a B-side? Bull. This is an incredible mid-tempo rocker. Again, Bono dubs himself an octave separated (I'm sure there's a technical musical term for this), and as in every other song this is done to on this album, it works beautifully. And I've never been a fan of this technique, a la "Even Better Than The Real Thing". But what makes this song is the incredible guitar riff leading into the chorus. This is jangling Edge guitar at its most enchanting. The riff between versus is the second best thing about the song, and Bono's emotional peak in the last chorus of "I would believe" puts the stamp on it. I used to rate this a 10, and it may reach that again if they do this live.

And the line, "Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die," is my favorite from the album.

9 - One Step Closer (9.5) - This is the "Running To Stand Still" or "Promenade" of the album. It is WAY underrated. With a bit of modification at the end to make it blend into "Streets", this is a natural to lead into that. Must be listened to in the headphones in order to get a real appreciation.

10 - Original Of The Species (10) - The first I heard from this, like many others, was the ten second clip from a radio show a few years back. If you listen closly, the lyrics have changed -- Bono was singing over the recording with the current lyrics, and you can tell it was slightly different underneath.

Also, like the rest of the rabid U2 fans, the next I heard this was the acoustic performance at the iPod presentation. I thought it had the potential to be one of the best songs on the album. Through Bono's relatively weak, but heartfelt performance, and Edge's botched piano playing, you could hear a hit in the making. That clip hinted of where the acoustic performance would lead.

There's a lot of talk about the Beatlesqueness (is that a word?) of this song, and yes, it is quite apparent. But the Beatles never reached the emotional heights this song attains.

The Edge's classic jangling guitar pulls this along, beautifully tying in one of Bono's most earnest performances ever. His inflections are perfect, and just the way he rolls around the phrases are so natural and heart wrenching. This song is DRAMATIC. This whole album is dramatic. This has one of the best chorus they have ever created. And the part during the final, incredible chorus where he actually expresses joy in an almost laugh, is one of his best moments ever recorded.

11 - Yahweh (10) - This is the best closer they have ever done (and I consider this the closer; not Fast Cars in certain releases). This is a natural closer, for both the album and live. They'd better play this live. As a matter of fact, this is one of my all-time favorite U2 songs. I loved it from the first time I heard it. I'm not religious, but I do love the lyrics. And the ohhhhs that Bono sings near the end ranks up there with his all-time best. It just fits so perfectly. This is such a gorgeous song.

12 - Fast Cars (8) - When I first heard the looped leak, I didn't care for it much. I'm not a fan of forced harmonies accented at the end of each phrase, as made popular in the hip-hop world. I feel those are very cheap and lazy, and rather annoying. But now that I've heard the full version several times, I think it's very interesting -- especially the second half. There's no way they should end any version of this album with this song, though. Yahweh should end all versions.

I will also rate a couple of B-sides, because I think they definitely deserve to be on the album...

13 - Mercy (10) - This is the most powerful and classic thing that they have done since The Joshua Tree. It's a crime that this was cut because they didn't know exactly where to place it on the album. A damn crime. It's on my version of the CD, though. :wink: It's raw, emotional, classic U2. And at 6:30, it still just ain't long enough for me. :)

14 - Are You Gonna Wait Forever (9.5) - Another B-side that deserves to be on the album (and is, on my burned version). Great song. Would be the best song on most other bands' albums. Classic Edge guitar.

Overall - 10 (the sum is better than its parts). This is currently my favorite all-time album, and The Joshua Tree held that spot for me for nearly 17 years. This is just more consistent end-to-end (even minus those great B-sides). To say that I am thrilled that they could have come out with such an album at this point is an understatement. It has completely consumed my life for a over two weeks, now.

Is it a classic? I think the chances are excellent, but we won't really know for years. Time is a key ingredient for making something a classic.

But it is GREAT! :heart:

Guys, I have seen some great reviews here, thought out and intelligent. Let the world know how this album ranks and post your review on amazon.com :wink:

Oh, man. I am SHOCKED and APPALLED that this album is only averaging 3.5 stars from almost 250 reviews on Amazon! Please, people, post your reviews there!

Well, I guess there will always be people who are prejudiced against U2, and will make it their business to post negative reviews just for the sake of trashing them. If no one really cared, only the people who loved them would review it, and it would be averaging 4.5 right now.

I submitted mine, and it should be up there shortly.

The reviews are mostly 4 and 5 stars, but it hurts the bomb's grade when casual reviewers and shall I call them "haters" drop in and give the album 1 or 2 stars. It really affects the grade. Some people have given it a 3 star review, however, but have done so at least in an intelligent manner. U2 just isn't for them, i guess. Where is the love? I gave it 4.25 stars (4 clickable stars), but I really don't like the star system. I am more satisfied giving it a 9/10. :wink: I was casually perusing the reviews for JT and AB as well, and noticed universal acclaim for AB. I mean of the 300 or so odd reviews, I would say 98% are 5 stars, while JT is at 4.5 stars, with people either loving it or not exactly getting the "hype".

I like this album.It sounds like JT and AB rolled into one and add some B-sides too.I think the whole album completely rocks.This is just the refreshing thing we need after 4 years of waiting.YEEEEHAAAAW!!!

:happy: :hyper: :bow: :dance: :D :love: :p

Last edited:
Mark Freedman said:
U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
(An Essay)

Mark, that was a great review :up: I wrote mine as well, almost an essay like yours. It was written in portuguese, that´s my mother tongue. This is an attempt of a transcription into english. It doesn´t seem very good, but anyways, I did my best. Sorry about the bad english. Here it goes:

After 2 weeks of listening to the 11 tracks that are the body of this new U2 work, in mp3, while I´m waiting for the CD, the real thing, this next Sunday, I felt myself finally encouraged to take the risk of writing a special review, with no technicalities or very deep analyses, only my impressions and the emotions discovered or revived in me, for each one of the new songs.

As in all U2 albums, this one was born to be listened to several times, in its entirety, the way the band had idealized it to be. To hear a song here and another one there, to skip tracks, everything what it differs from the original conception of the album as a true entity can harm someone´s first listening, or the first ones. Therefore, I did my own ritual 15 days ago, when I had access to the songs. I looked for a little peace and tranquillity, some isolation and comfort to enjoy the company of these 4 old friends of mine once more. I had no regrets, nor did I feel any disappointment, as it has always happened with U2 and me. So, I´m gonna tell you a few things about each song the way I feel.

Vertigo, an already old pal and good company, that makes me go back in time somehow, everytime I listen to it, a song that has printed all over it, in capital letters, the magic that has made this 50 years-old sonorous entity called rock'n'roll so unique and so compelling. The lyrics are still to be deciphered, like an enigma, but Bono left some clues this time around on what it would be, this place called Vertigo. The album would be a journey from fear to faith, and the fear starts with Vertigo, according to Bono. All I can say is that I love to feel dizzy by Vertigo.

Miracle Drug, trademark U2, perfection in harmony, at the same time complex and singular in its beauty, as a beautiful intricate embroidering. I feel like I could travel in dreams with this song, when I open the window and look at this world, when I hear Bono singing "of science and the human heart there is in limit". There is no limit for love indeed. What other songwriter apart from Bono could be inspired by the story of a childhood friend with cerebral paralysis, that surpassed everything thanks to science and his mother´s unlimited love? This is humanity pouring over the song, something so scarce in our world. This song praises life and the joy of being alive, and it is a gift by itself.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, after two weeks, it is still impossible for me not to have tears in my eyes or at least to be choked up to its sound, and I do not know if this sensation will ever disappear. Melodramatic? Perhaps for some people, but certainly it´s not for Bono and his great friends the Edge, Adam and Larry. Boys don´t cry? Perhaps, but they are no longer boys. I consider this song to be a very personal catharsis for Bono, but at the same time, with all its melodrama and open veins, the song can connect to someone else´s heart as well. Bono has never been good to hide his emotions, and neither have the other three. I see and feel this song as a photograph of the wonderful friendship that have keep them together throughout all these years. Why do I say that? Because I think that Edge, Adam and Larry have captured beautifully in harmony, melody and arrangement, what their friend Bono was in need to say to his father, despite the fact that he´s not among us anymore. Bono declared that he got to hit high notes in this performance, characteristic of those opera singers that his father used to love so much. I guess there´s no better tribute than that. He shows he is not ashamed of his feelings, and tells us he found that music was what he and his father had in common, and yes, the voice. "You're the reason I sing," sings Bono. Sure Bob was tough, a tough guy, but he had soul, as well as his son.

Love and Peace Or Else, a monster song, dense and sensual, claustrophobic and industrial, a spotless arrangement and heavy weight in the air. It takes me back in time, the sounds of the wild 70s, and I do like that sensation, very much. The lyrics are another enigma to be deciphered, or perhaps it will never be. I feel some anguish when I hear Bono singing "I need some release, release, release, release, I need love and peace". I love to hear him as if he was possessed, singing and claiming "lay down your guns, all you daughters of Zion, all you Abraham sons". Great song, and new ground for U2, most welcomed.

City of Blinding Lights, another trademark U2, where that always authentic chiming of the Edge´s guitar shines, the pulse of the bass like a heartbeat, and everything else in this song states clearly the reason why U2 exists and is so keen to our hearts. This child of Where the Streets Have No Name was born in a night of intense emotion in New York, from the collective emotion of thousands, touched simultaneously with the same feeling, with tears in their eyes. This image was somehow stuck in the band member´s minds, and it gave birth to a beautiful song. Bono sings "time won't leave me as I am, but time won't take the boy out of this man". That´s good. Children´s feelings are pure and must be nourished. Always.

All Because of You, 100% rock'n'roll, in all its glory. It´s impossible to stay quiet, your body doesn´t allow you to, and then you try some air guitar during Edge´s amazing solo. His solo is certainly very good, but I dare say that the best in the song is that groovy rhythm guitar that I can hear throughout the song, it´s sublime. Bono seems very comfortable singing and having a duo with himself, the lyrics show lightness and fun, and the sound is a new return in time again to the wild 70s. Bono sings "I'm alive, I'm being born, I just arrived, I'm at the door, of the place I started out from, and I want back inside", finishing some verses that are all about himself, as if he wanted to get back to his mother´s womb.

A Man and a Woman, a great surprise, another new ground for U2, fulfilling the same function of In a Little While from ATYCLB. "Ladies will love it", said wise Adam. For sure, and certainly he is the one who shines in this delicious, unpretentious, shamelessly romantic and sexy song. The lyrics recycle some of Bono´s romantic pearls that I never get tired of, and adds some others as well. There´s also that very particular "yeah" that he whispers after singing "like a stray dog", something that can melt any woman, unless she´s no longer alive. Bono sings "cause I can never understand, the mysterious distance, between a man and a woman". Yes, there is a mysterious distance between a man and a woman, but I believe that one has ways of raising a bridge, a bridge that is worthy to be built, with sincere, pure and true love, without any feelings of possession.

Crumbs From You Table, surprisingly beautiful, after some negative reviews I read. Edge shines musically and he´s all over the song, multiplied, amplified, as the guitar god that he is indeed. Bass and drums combine perfectly one more time, and the lyrics are powerful and epic, influenced 100% by what Bono saw and lived in Africa, and that´s great. I´ve waited for him to come up with some lyrics like that, to translate into music all that life experience, all his anxiety for a better world and more than that, his neverending belief that a better world is possible. I see the lyrics as a dialogue between a 3rd and 1st world country, where the iniquities are displayed and all the truth is said, lyrics worth to be framed. "Where you live should not decide, whether you live or whether you die". Yep, most definitely.

One Step Closer, the intro to this song brings to me a very special memory, it sounds a bit like the beautiful Brothers Arms, by Dire Straits. Perfection and simplicity in harmony and arrangement go hand in hand again, in one of the most emotional songs, majestically and frightening all at the same time. Bono seems to switch places with his father, and talks as if he were him, waiting for his heart to cease its beating. He reviews his life, the options he made, his path in this life and what is ahead of him. "A heart that hurts is a heart that beats, can you to hear the drummer slowing?". That heart will no longer beat and he will take that one step, one step closer to knowing about the place where we are all going to. This song is a hidden pearl, believe me.

Original of the Species, perhaps one of the most beautiful of Bono´s interpretations, where he gives himself entirely to the pleasure of singing, he delivers an amazing performance. I can imagine Bono singing this song, with a smile on his face, and a heart full of joy. A Beatlesque song, with its Abbey Road soundings of a beautiful piano and orchestra, and that always wonderful Edge´s chiming guitar. A song originally written with the daughter of his friend Edge in mind, but that ventures into a bigger scenario, saying to the youngters that they must enjoy themselves the way they are, as if they were the original of the species. Bono declared that he can hardly wait to play this song live. I think it´s easy to understand why.

Yahweh, the final prayer, and why not? What other songwriter would dare to compose and to sing the name of God this way, whatever language it might be? Beautiful, musically and lyrically, with optimism pouring out all over it. A song to be listened to early in the morning, at the sunrise, a song to look at the world and to feel glad about yourself, about being alive, about being loved and healthy. Bono sings "take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing" and I loose myself in it, that´s what we all are, souls stranded in some skin and bones, nothing more than that, and all of that, at the same time. Lets make our souls sing. Yes, lets make our souls sing.

Long life U2!

MT

Back
Top Bottom