MERGED-->Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Fan Reviews of HTDAAB Here

Dear all,

Now that the album has leaked, what do you think? Write your reviews here for fellow fans to read and enjoy! Let's keep it nice, and not debate each other's thoughts here.

Also, as I will be writing a fan reaction article about this, please be sure to give permission to be quoted if you wish to be so.

Many thanks! :wave:

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I find all JT an AB comparisons just pointless, sonically speaking... it doesn't resemble ANY of U2 albums for me!!!!

Yes, there are little things that reminds me of, but... it's not the return of the JT sound... or the AB sound... which sounds GREAT to me!!!

I'm delighted with the album, really... truly GREAT.

So far it's incredible. Miracle Drug and COBL are better than I could have ever hoped for!

Sorry guys, but I see this as disrepectful somehow. I know I am probably of the minority or non-existent opinion here but I dont know....I really cant put it into words right now, cos Im pretty pissed the album got leaked. Its like finding your presents weeks before xmas day...and then all the anticipation is over and you have nothing to build up to that day and that day in itself isnt what it would be! oh well, just my take on it...

Well... what is my first impression of the new album, after hearing it only ones in its entirety?

There’s nothing new under the sun. This is far from innovative U2.
Why make Best off records when you can make an album that has it all? It’s like U2 said to them selves; “Hey, what is U2 really good at? Let’s make an album that plays to all our strengths, let’s call it “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb!”.

And so I'm off to my second listen :)

It's hard to tell right now as I've only played it once through so far, but the signs are good. It has flashes of U2 of the past but they don't dominate the record. COBL and ABOY actually really surprised me, I wasn't too taken with the live versions, but now I've heard the studio versions I'm really taken with them ABOY is excellent, the back section is just so raw sounding.

Miracle Drug is another one that surprised me, that song really goes somewhere, just drives along. SYCMIOYO is a little gem the vocals in the chours are stunning, very emotive.

There's some sleepers on here as well, Man and A Woman is really gonna grow on me (reminds me of an old U2 b-side from the TJT era, can't remember the name right now, Bono sounds like he's 20 on that song).

Crumbs From Your Table is gonna be another sleeper as well.

There's a ton of melody in this record as well, I don't know why it'd been stated there was no melody vocally, plenty of it there in my book.

Right now, I'd agree with the 4/5 rating.

There are A LOT of sounds on here I've never heard on a U2 album. COBL has a dulcimer!

And the chimes in SYCMIOYO!!

I'm busting! This album is really blowing me away.

This is DEFINITELY better than ATYCLB (my favorite album of 2000) so far. Needs a lot more listenings for a review, though.

Needs a few full listens to form a decent judgement. So far I'm liking what I hear, but the hype about it being the best album of their career is a bit over the top.

There are some awesome tracks here, City of Blinding Lights and Original of the Species are superb. There are some that I'm finding it difficult to get excited about though.

holy mother.....

only managed to download MD and just over 3 minutes of LPOE - the latter is the MF of U2 being heavy/bluesy, and they should be brave enough to release it as a single- wow

Mike

After listening through this a few times, I'll try to put it as simply as I can - U2 have not made an album this good since 1991. :wink: Right now, this is what my top three U2 album list looks like:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

I posted this in my LiveJournal while I was listening to the album for the first time. I thought I might as well post it. :wink: Sorry about the language.

01. Vertigo - Well, I've heard this one a billion times already, and I love it. Come on, Miracle Drug!

02. Miracle Drug - Beautiful intro... Oh my God, I've gotten to the chorus now, and Bono sounds like he's in his late twenties again! OMFG I LOVE THESE LYRICS. Oh Edge, I love you! *bows down to the best guitarist in the world* THIS SOLO...OMFG THIS SOLO...I LOVE THIS SONG I LOVE THIS SONG I LOVE THIS SONG!

03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Very pretty start. This must be what "Tough" originally was, judging by the lyrics. OH MY GOD, EDGE HAS BROUGHT BACK HIS JOSHUA TREE GUITAR. I love the falsetto! OMG EDGE EDGE EDGE! I've got goosebumps! GOOSE-FUCKING-BUMPS! Now I've got tears in my eyes! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SONG!

04. Love and Peace or Else - HOLY FUCK, COOLEST INTRO SINCE "ZOO STATION." THIS SONG IS SO FUCKING KICK ASS. IT'S U2 MEETS BLUES - REAL BLUES, NOT LIKE ON "RATTLE & HUM"!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! EDGE YOU ARE MY HERO EDGE EDGE EDGE EDGE! I'm changing my icon to an Edge icon! ADAM IS KICKING ASS! AND LARRY! LARRY! AND HOLY FUCK BONO! ARGH! *loves this song so fucking much!* "WHERE IS LOVEE! WHERE IS THE LOVE!!" I LOVE THAT PART! OMG, NOW IT'S BUILDING UP! EDGE!!!!!!!!! HOLY FUCK, EDGE! I'm crying again!

05. City of Blinding Lights - THIS IS ALREADY SOUNDING BETTER THAN THE TOP OF THE POPS VERSION U2 DID EARLIER! This song reminds me so much of my third favourite U2 album, The Unforgettable Fire! ADAM IS KICKING ASS! "Ooooh oooh oooh wooo! ALL - YOU - LOOK - SO - BEAAAAUTIFUL!" THIS SONG IS SO FUCKING AWESOME. SO - FUCK - ING - AWESOME. I'm still crying!

06. All Because of You - OH MY GOD, EDGE! I LOVE YOU! "I LIKE THE SOUND OF MY OWN VOICE, I DIDN'T GIVE ANYONE ELSE A CHOICE!" My favourite lyrics! BONO YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK EDGE KEPT THE SOLO IN! SOLO! SOLO! SOLO! I LOVE THIS SOOOOONG!

07. A Man and a Woman - Very nice sounding song! Bono sounds absolutely brilliant on this. Don't know why someone don't like this one as much! It has a bit of a Spanish flair to it. Don't ask me why, I just think it does. Very nice bass work by Adam! This has almost an 80's sound to it! Love it! This is going to be great for an acoustic set!

08. Crumbs From Your Table - Edge, you're going to kill me with all of this amazing guitar work! This song is great! I don't know how those magazines could lable it weak! Compare this to track number 8 from U2's last album, and you'll see what I mean. RIFF! RIFF! RIFF! EDGE HAS SO MANY GREAT RIFFS ON THIS ALBUM! AND NOW A SOLO! EDGE YOU ARE THE MAN. THEEEEE MAN!

09. One Step Closer - Oooh, spacey/dreamy intro! AND FUCK, MORE PRETTY GUITAR! Pretty singing as well! This one seems like it might be a bit of a grower, though.

10. Original of the Species - Odd intro, but let's see how it goes. :) OOH, NICE CHORUS. EDGE EDGE EDGE! Now we're back to the odd intro sound, heh. Now back to the great chorus! Bono is amazing on this! The notes he's hitting! I'm really liking this song!

11. Yahweh - Cool intro! Great 80's guitar from Edge! Love the chorus! This is the best ending song U2 have done since "Love is Blindness"!

I sound a little juvenile, yes, but I went ecstatic when I heard it the first time. :D

The begining of a masterpiece...I can't describe what I'm feeling right now as a u2 fan, I have heard the album about 4 times straight now and it is has now weak songs, there are a couple songs I havent really gotten into, but I can admire them as beautiful and am sure I will get into them. The lyrics, the music, larry's and adam's top notch performance throughout, and to top it off, the Edge dominating on virtually ever song.

Vertigo = excellent first single and great opener for the album. u2 as excited as ever, great guitars by Edge and heavy bassline by Clayton. Hit written all over it. (8.5/10)

Miracle Drug = Basically...perfection in every aspect. Bono's voice and especially, delivery, is absolutely stunning. The guitar work is phenomenal, and the solo by Edge is heartbreaking. Also, Larry shines wink: (10/10)

Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own = I think this is one of the most emotional songs u2 have ever recorded...very confessional lyrics. The way they sing "And it's you when I look in the mirror...." gives me the chills, the chorus is incredible and the understated, brilliant guitar work underneath it is perfect. The one slight problem I had is with the bridge ("you're the reason I sing...") because of the vocal delivery, but this is a single. Big time single. (9/10)

Love and Peace or Else = Is this u2? They have never done anything like this, the NIN comparisons are very on point. Simply said...this song fucking rocks! Again, brilliant vocal delivery by Bono ("I pray you depart..."), and supersonic, dark, evil riffs from Edge throughout, there are sounds coming from all over and I'll enjoy discovering all of them in the next few months! (9.5/10)

City of Blinding Lights = Epic...Epic u2. Beautiful bulid-up with the piano and I think Bono owns this track, great lyrics and delivery, addicitve chorus which will be a big hit on the summer's tour. I'm not as excited about this track just because of the live version we've already heard, but it's stunning (9/10)

All Because of You = This song acutally surprised me, despite the earlier leaks. The first 0:30 makes me want to cry its so good, the Edge owns this whole track. The guitar work is out of this world, his solo is one of his best and Bono's yelling to jump it off bounced me off the wall. 60's rock and u2, good combination. The Bridge makes this song. It's like the Who made a cameo on the record. (9.5/10)

A Man and a Woman = Yes, I'll say it....one of my favorite tracks on the album. It is the epitome of SOUL, when I hear Bono deliver lines like "Little sister..." I feel like hes been signed to Motown all these years. It took a couple listens to grow on me, but the chorus and the whole structure is pure beauty. The dominator: Adam Clayton, during the bridge when's it just Bono and him for a moment, let me breath for a second. Ok....(9/10)

Crumbs from Your Table = My biggest surprise of the record, it is brilliant. It has this supersonic feel to it, again...Edge swallows the track and dominates it with his guitar work. Bono's delivery makes this chorus amazing, very catchy..the lyrics are very strong, especially the second verse. Very nice surprise, a lot rawer and harder than I expected. (8.5/10)

One Step Closer = Probably the weakest track on the record, but I love it still. The Lyrics are just genius to me, maybe they could done something more with the chorus, but it has this wierd feeling to it which put it over rivals like "Grace." This is a grower, come talk to me in a week :wink: (7.5/10)

Original of the Species = Paul, George, John, and Ringo...I mean, u2 recorded this brilliant track. If this isn't a single, I will be kind of shocked. It is absolutely addictive and incredible, great piano and guitar work again by Edge, I think its place on the album is perfect. Brilliant, I thought some of Bono's delivery was a little off, but his voice sounded great. (9/10)

Yahweh = This is going to have to be a grower for me. This and OSC are the two tracks that haven't sinked it's hooks into me yet. A great closer though, I will 100% get into this song and love it by the end of the month :wink: (7.5/10)

All the doubts, all the hesitations, four years of rumors and waiting...it has all been worth it! I feel I am critical of the things you love, this is true with me. I'm not a blind u2 follower, I am critical of my favorite band, I have had some problems with some of their recent stuff (HTBA and a few filler tracks of ATYCLB), but this album is a masterpiece in the making.

Last edited:
We've just listened to HTDAAB, let's all take a deep breath...

I don't know about everyone else ... but this has turned into one of the best days ever. Instead of riding our adrenalin and looking for fast cars or typing away furiously in the album review threads... let's all just sit back, and type how you're feeling right now after listening to htdaab. not individual song reviews or album reviews ... simply how it's making you feel on the whole.

for me, after listening to the album over and over again a few times, i feel like i just found out i won the lottery. i feel like screaming at the top of my lungs. i feel like dragging all the kids listening to bad music by their ears and showing them what rock and roll is. i feel like driving from chicago to new york and back just for the hell of it so i can listen to htdaab on repeat. i feel like going to bono, larry, edge, and adam's houses and just shake their hand and thank them. as you can see...i can't really decipher what i'm feeling...just extreme pleasure, happiness, inspiration, and hope.

thank you.

FOR ME BY FAR THE BEST EVER ALBUM MADE BY U2. THE MOST CONSISTENT, THE MOST DIVERSE AND BETTER PERFORMED.
ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT

I know how you feel...

I made a cd and instantly began playing it for the wife and my three little ones...2 boys and a little girl all under 6. We all danced and played and started a pillow fight and layed around as the songs swirled around us...It's a memory that will always be with me. Epic.:applaud:

the whole album is great.

after listening through 4 times, i would say it is comparable to achtung baby and joshua tree.

in my opinion it is legitimate to say it is there best, i won't say that right now- but i think you will be able to make the argument.

vertigo- excellent opener, hard to compare to album right now because it is so familiar.

miracle drug- this is going to be huge. i have felt this way, so immediatley taken by a song since one. this is as good as anything they have ever done.

sometimes...- excellent, knowing its about bono's father makes it an even more emotional song. 100x better than stuck in a moment.

love and peace or else- this sounds like rattle and hum era mixed with achtung to be. the bluesy feel mixed with the trash and it just rocks. this song will be awesome live. the new until the end of the world live.

city of blinding lights- very good, still reminds be of ultraviolet for soem reason. very very good song.

all because of you- i think it will make a good radio single, but i liken it to something like elevation. not a bad song- i do like it but its a little too radio, for lack of a better word. i do like the song, just not my favorite type of u2 song.

a man and a woman- not sure about this one, it may grow on me. the fist few listens this one just slightly misses, never really takes off. its still a good song, and i think it may sneak up on me after time.

crumbs from you table- excellent. classic u2, the guitar is edge all the way. great song.

one step closer- i have heard people saying its boring or too slow. i love it. i really like the simple songs, that are somewhat sparse but jsut great. i think ou have to be patient with it, but its wonderful. reminds me of first time a litlle bit (which i love).

orginal of the species- one of the bests, will be great live. love it. i think it is just a great song. maybe second to miracle drug after just a few listens.

yahweh- incredible. i guess this is one that is dependent of where you are coming from on this. i liken it to 40, what a wonderul way to close the album. i really hope this closes the shows on the upcoming tour. that said i am totally biased towards this one, as a Christian who is in seminary and the last line in often times my prayer. break my heart...

the worlds greatest band just got greater.

thank you u2.

you have given yet another wornderful gift that i will never be able to repay to you guys.

DID ATYCLB even happen? It is easy to imagine it never did after hearing this new album. Is this even the same band? I will not say this is there best album. That would be ridiculous after only 4 listennings. But I will now predict that this will be legitimately argued as there best ever in the eyes of history. The usual dissapointment that I have felt upon first listenning to the last 3 studio albums is nowhere to be found. They have completely proved my worst fears to be completely unfounded. We are witnessing something that has never been done in the history of RocknRoll. A band putting out work that is comparable to their best, 25 years into there career.

This is a great time to be a U2 fan!

Time will tell of course, and I am hoping that my feelings will only get stronger over the years.

Vertigo - It's odd that I think the first single is the weakest track on the album, but I do. It kicks ass, but substance-wise, it's in last place, which is why it was chosen as the lead single, because it appeals to the masses. 6/10

Miracle Drug - KICK ASS ROCK SONG. GREAT GUITAR! And hurrah for hearing Edge take the lead mic on a record for the first time since 'Numb', even if it is only for twenty seconds. Will be a live classic. 20/10

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Best U2 ballad since One. Period. Was originally 'Tough'. So emotional, so beautiful. 20/10

Love And Peace Or Else - WOOHOO! U2 with balls again!! Very Pop-ish and very NIN-ish and has a weird but wonderful Asian feel to it. YEAH! This will be awesome live. 10/10

City Of Blinding Lights - Amazing. The chorus is wickedly catchy oooooo-oooooooo-ooooo-ooo-ooo-ooo, oh you look so beautiful..., you can count on crowds singing along with that live. Guitar is great here too. 15/10

All Because Of You - Great guitar, great guitar, very single-ish. Great great great. 10/10

A Man And A Woman - I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song. It has a very 80s-ish feel to it, and for some reason reminds me of Eurythmics 'Sweet Dreams'. This song is really intoxicating for me. Could be a lighter-lighting moment on tour. 10/10

Crumbs From Your Table - Very similar to Walk On, yes, but GREAT. Every aspect of it is great. 9/10

One Step Closer - probably the simplest track on the record, but it was very warm and very relaxing. Indeed, it is this record's 'Grace', but even better. 8/10

Original Of The Species - ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! One of U2's best tracks since Achtung Baby. The guitars, keyboards, the vocals, the passion....I'm speechless. 50/10

Yahweh - Great closer. Relaxing and catchy at the same time. Really quite beautiful. 9/10

This whole record is absolutely breathtaking and amazing and incredible and rocking and kick-ass! Easily their best record since AB. Oops, U2 did it again.

Last edited:
im too giddy to write a full review

but the only way to describe love and peace or else is bad ass

AussieU2fanman said:
I originally stand by my hypothesis. U2 have made their best album to date.......

i agree... but i might be shrouded by the gidiness of the first and second listening of it.

Dear People,

I've listened to the entire album, and the only word that I can use to describe is: MAGICAL...
I've to take a deep breath to believe I'm still alive (maybe I'm dead and writing from heaven)....

02) MD: I think GOD give this song to U2, that's the answer...a masterpiece
03) SYCMOYO: Deep emotions, everybody will cry with this song, the part "it's you when I look in the mirror / It's you when I pick up the phone", this song is the most personal I've ever heard
04) LAPOE: Achtung Baby emerges on this one, with a little bit of Led Zeppelin...very bluesy...
05) COBL: the first minute of the song was made in heaven (I think Jesus plays the piano), this song is awesome, All You Look so beautiful tonight in the city of blinding lights, will be a killer live song
06) ABOY: long live to rock and roll...punk rock..OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHHH, everybody will scream this on the tour...
07) AMAAW: almost acustic..very good..it's obvious a grow, wich I like that
08) CFYT: My god, I don't understand why some people don't like this song...it's perfect, trust me.
09) OSC: another grower, in some way, sounds like a closer song to the album, very slowly...
10) OOTS: gorgeous...the chorus is perfect, another masterpiece...
11) Yahew: it's a very improve "Walk On", a lot better...very good closer song...

This makes ATYCLB (with the exception of Kite, In A Little While and When I Look At The World) sound like a DEMO, but I think HTDAAB could only be made through ATYCLAB and specially POP.

Cheers...

I want to say that will BUY a copy of this album when it's released, maybe I will buy 20 albums to give to people in the streets, because this album is so perfect...

let me say, first off i love all that you cant leave behind, it was the album that got me into u2, i was only 13 when it came out.

but THIS album is the sound of 4 guys just having fun and playing in a room together.

Back
Top Bottom