MERGED --> Did Anybody Else Watch American Idol? + Bono on Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can't bring myself to watch that kind of stuff. my sister watched it, i usually don't care what other people at my house watch, cos i just leave the room. but i was in the middle of watching a movie when it came on ("in the name of the father" and i've recently formed the opinion that daniel day-lewis is the best actor ever, so i was really pissed off).

I only like to watch the first episodes where they're narrowing people down and everyone's :crazy:. The "Fever" girl was the only one I liked -- she had a distinctive voice and didn't have to scream like most of those girls or do the "wooo-OOOOO-oooo-oo-oh-OH!" wailey thing they do to make words eight times longer than necessary. :no:

I didn't like how almost everyone they accepted looked like they were trying to be some already-existing popstar. There wasn't much individual style. :slant:

Sicy said:
Seriously what makes these people think that they can actually sing??

I now have a new respect for Simon. I'd be fucking going crazy if I had to listen to that garbage all day long. :der:

lol i know. I didnt get to see the show (I had to go to a basketball game..I'm in Pep Band!) But i am going to watch it tonight. I used to think simon was mean.. but I see these horrible singers and I'm thinking "how do they go in there thinking 'I'm gonna win' when they are that bad!?" so i'd be pissy too

I don't understand why anybody in their right mind would go out there to be humiliated. It's beyond me - is 35 seconds of TV time worth it? These people must have no life.

I know some of them are God awful (ex. pharmacy girl), but to think that millions of us watch this to revel in the humiliation of others - yikes. I worry about what that says about me.

meegannie said:
I only like to watch the first episodes where they're narrowing people down and everyone's :crazy:. The "Fever" girl was the only one I liked -- she had a distinctive voice and didn't have to scream like most of those girls or do the "wooo-OOOOO-oooo-oo-oh-OH!" wailey thing they do to make words eight times longer than necessary.

I didn't like how almost everyone they accepted looked like they were trying to be some already-existing popstar. There wasn't much individual style.
That wooooooo-oooooo-oooooo is pretty much what they call ghastly scales. Drives me fookin nuts. And what's worse is when they can't EVEN do those scales.:no: :barf:
I hear ya on the lack of individual styles. All they seem to pick are the next J Los and the next N'Syncs. :barf:
That chick was pretty good tho...the one doing "Superstition" but once again...I think if she wasn't blonde with big hoots they wouldn't have picked her.:|
Oh but that girl doing Fever:drool:
Like I said before...I had to seriously do a lesbian check on myself. :lmao: Hey, if I swung that way...I'd do her:p
She clearly stood from of the rest. She was a little bit of Doris Day, and what's her face from the Wizard of Oz :scratch: (the name escapes me right now....Dorothy...something...) and some of Billie Holliday wrapped up into one.:D

Last edited:
some of those people trying to sing had me on the floor laughing, it was too humiliating to watch.

My ears hurt
juul_zingt.gif

Ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeelebrate good times, come on!!!!!!

:lmao:

Then he did that little dance at the end!!!!!!!!! What a way to finish it off!!!!!!! :lmao:

Oh, and that guy who sang that song so awfully that the judges all just stared at him and said nothing...and he took that as his cue to sing another verse!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

Lady Tiger don't give up :mad: :lol:

and how about the dancing stripper in the green suit and hat :ohmy: :lmao:

Wow...that's all I can say.

Bonochick said:
Oh, and that guy who sang that song so awfully that the judges all just stared at him and said nothing...and he took that as his cue to sing another verse!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

I almost fell off my chair seriously. :laugh:

Bono's American Wife said:
Lady Tiger don't give up :mad: :lol:

and how about the dancing stripper in the green suit and hat :ohmy: :lmao:

Wow...that's all I can say.

:lol: Randy was SSOOO jealous of him :rolleyes:

MonaVox said:

:lol: Randy was SSOOO jealous of him :rolleyes:

:lol:

and what was up with the guy's mom saying all Randy could do was sit up and eat...wasn't that little like the pot calling the kettle fat?

Stories for Boys said:

detroit was bad :(...boo michigan again! :(

I know!!!! I think they said only 22 people total advanced to Hollywood from Detroit.

Out of thousands??? That's sad...:huh:

I didn't watch the first American Idol show, but I watched this last one.

Let me put it this way: I am thankful that none of the really horrible "singers" on there didn't do any songs from any of my favorite bands, or else I'd have had to hunt them down and do...very bad things to them. Yeah.

I got a kick out of the guy who got "The Star-Spangled Banner" wrong, too...that was freakin' hilarious!

Then there was that one guy who had the pants slit up to his waist and he's like, "Well, you're fat, you're an a****** (I think that's what he said), and blah, blah, blah" and he's freaking out on them and everything...it's like, man, remind me never to make that guy mad!

Like some of you have said already, I respect Simon more now, too...I find his comments rather amusing. What part of "You cannot sing" do these people have a hard time understanding?

The whole auditioning thing is amusing, too, like when people stand there and they're like, "Oh, can I have just one more chance, please?" and everything.

Someone said they liked the girl who sang "Fever", so did I, I thought she was really good.

I may watch this time around...this could be rather interesting.

Angela

maybe Canadian TV isnt on the top of yer lists....but there's a new show that I found quite refreshing...on Wednesdays 8pm on CBC I believe...

it was called something like the "Great Canadian Music Dream" or whatever...no cheesy judging BS or sappy interviews with the artists, just real live bands getting up and doing their thing, and some of them were pretty damn good..

Swollen Members was on it too...pretty cool show...now THATS reality TV thats good!

G

No one has mentioned my favorite yet...Frenchie Davis, the big blond woman with the big personality and the great big beautiful voice who auditioned in New York City! She was terrific!
I saw a bit of "The View" the next day, and Simon was a guest. Meredith Viera (sp?) told him that she really enjoyed Frenchie's singing, but asked how far she would get on the show because she didn't fit the look of most pop singers today. Simon replied that he thought she was terrific and predicted that she would go far on the show.
Go Frenchie! Go Frenchie!
I also liked the girl who sang "Fever," as well as a guy named Frank Rodriguez in New York who did a really nice job on a Sinatra song.

Diane L said:
No one has mentioned my favorite yet...Frenchie Davis, the big blond woman with the big personality and the great big beautiful voice who auditioned in New York City! She was terrific!
I saw a bit of "The View" the next day, and Simon was a guest. Meredith Viera (sp?) told him that she really enjoyed Frenchie's singing, but asked how far she would get on the show because she didn't fit the look of most pop singers today. Simon replied that he thought she was terrific and predicted that she would go far on the show.
Go Frenchie! Go Frenchie!

I'd forgotten her name...yes, I loved her...what an incredible voice!!! One of the best voices I'd heard.

The french guy that sang the elvis song... I couldn't tell whether to laugh or switch the channel.:eyebrow:

I don't understand why so many people that want to get through to Hollywood didn't rehearse the lyrics to the song they sung. If I was going to be on the show I know I'd memorize everything about the song including the way it's sung.

I think some of the people that sung really well got picked because they sung simple songs like "fever" or "at last". Others that can't hit that high note should've tried an easier song... but people just don't learn.

"I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you..."

*pause*

:lmao: :lmao:

That guy who sang "Like A Virgin" sounded like Cartman...:lmao:

Oh, and that guy with no shoes who said Simon was sexy...he was out there! :coocoo: :lmao:

Okay, before I say anything else-the one girl who was, what, 16-that Stephanie person, she sang "Fallin'"-yeah, she's gonna be the next Christina Aguillera. She was good.

Bonochick said:

*pause*

:lmao: :lmao:

Well, at least he didn't have trouble remembering the lyrics, unlike some of the auditioners...

And what the heck was up with the Nashville auditions in which nobody in the room was actually from Nashville? My goodness, that's nuts.

Originally posted by Bonochick
That guy who sang "Like A Virgin" sounded like Cartman...:lmao:

:lol:!

Oh, god...that was just...wrong...on every level that could be wrong on and more...what the hell was with him?

And the funny part was that he sang and danced to the second song in pretty much the same fashion as he did the first one!

He's getting all ticked off 'cause Simon said he was the worst singer in the world...well...hey, if the truth hurts...:shrug:.

Originally posted by Bonochick
Oh, and that guy with no shoes who said Simon was sexy...he was out there! :coocoo: :lmao:

That was...different. Yeah.

You know what person I got a kick out of? The guy who did the beaver thing-when it showed the judges sitting there halfheartedly doing the little beaver thing-oh, my god, I about died laughing. The expressions the judges had during the auditions were hilarious!

And, um...what was with the guy who argued with himself? :confused: :eyebrow:

Angela

Back
Top Bottom