MERGED-->ALL U2 at Live 8 discussion, complaints, links, sets, etc -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't wanna crash your party... U2 was great but so were tons of other bands. Deep Purple, Snow Patrol and Scissor Sisters were as good as U2.

Deep Purple? :eyebrow:
I don't think they're performing. Or were they in some exotic location?

In any case, R.E.M. and (especially) Annie Lennox were excellent!
:bow:

shart1780 said:
I don't wanna crash your party... U2 was great but so were tons of other bands. Deep Purple, Snow Patrol and Scissor Sisters were as good as U2.
am sure they were, but this is a U2 fan site, so obviously people are going to be talking about how good U2 were? kinda makes sense dont you think?

Cooper2000 said:
Who is griping? I clearly did think about what the concert was for, and that is why I was merely wondering why they wouldnt play a song that lyrically applied to the cause more fitting than Vertigo. I then said, who cares, it rocks anyways. Thanks.

I was referring to some of the griping going on from people like steak and them before these threads merged. Didn't see your post until now-my response wasn't directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way.

Anywho, obviously I'd be biased about U2 on this one, but I do agree that the other bands performing have been pretty good, too. The Killers sound really good live, and Madonna's performance was good too, agree with that. And I liked the "Bittersweet Symphony" performance, that was cool.

Also, was rather nice to see Green Day pay a bit of tribute to Queen.

Yeah. Really don't have much in the way of complaints with the performances, other than, like some have said, I just wish they'd show more of 'em. :applaud: to everyone who came out to support this cause.

Angela

The whole idea was to have a slew of great bands. Glad to hear the other outfits are living up to the U2 standard!:wink:

MTV and VH1 have totally let the American viewers down. Gee, what a surprise. The coverage is absolutely awful. You knew they'd find a way to fuck it all up. After all, this isn't about poverty in Africa or great music, it's about interviews with fatheads and selling shit! Business as usual for MYV and VH1.

I got AOL Music to work on my computer, even if it is a bit spotty. I was able to watch Sting's entire set. Awesome! He played all Police songs rather than his solo stuff. His current band rocks!

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but apparently all the Webcasts from all over the world are going to be archived at AOL Music for the rest of the summer. :rockon: Good news for those of us unhappy with the spotty TV coverage.

Irishteen said:
It is much better over here BBC are showing all of Hyde Park with no breaks, or censors.

I am very jealous. I remember watching Live Aid in 1985 and not having the same coverage problems as we are having now. I wish the coverage here in America was better. :sad: Even the radio stations here are only playing snippets of performances. I am annoyed with the American coverage. And no thanks to my shitty dsl going down a month ago, I can't watch any of the performances in the other countries because of fucking dial up. :mad:

I am annoyed.

I heard U2's performance on BBC 1 and plan to watch ABC tonight. Hopefully they'll have more than MTV. The problem is there is just so much to show and so many locations. Of course they are probably going to give more coverage to the Philly show even though some of us would like to see more of the London show. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Pink Floyd sounded f***ing fantastic. It literally gave me goosebumps. Really...they sounded awesome.

Even without Crumbs, that performance made me remember exactly why I like U2 more than every other band!

I remember (12 hours ago) when U2 had just sang Beautiful Day and released the doves, I thought of the rumour that that was going to be the end of the U2 performance. And I wasn't disapointed. I thought, "You know what, it doesn't matter if they don't do anything else, they still can't be topped by any other band in my books."

But then, they played two more great songs!! They even did One with the "Here me coming Lord?..."'s and Unchained Melody!! With the altered lyric:
"God's speed your love, to.... Africa."
That (helped by the image of the doves flying away) made me cry.

The only other time I cried in the whole thing was when Bob Geldof brought out that girl who had been saved by Live Aid -- saying "Don't let them tell you this doesn't work!"

I was so worried that they'd do a shit performance, because the last I had seen of U2 was a bootleg of the Chicago show, and, well, yeah, it kinda sucked. Bono didn't have any energy.

But THIS is the U2 I fell in love with.

**And did anyone else notice the very first sound on the broadcast was Larry clicking his sticks?

HOORAY FOR "FOX8" AUSTRALIA FOR NOT STUFFING UP OR SENSORING!!!

Last edited:
Another setlist travesty!!!!

Mullen4Prez said:
The scum bags!!!!!!! NO CRUMBS!!!!!!!!

Who cares about Crumbs! Bastards! They were supposed to play a surprise duet with Pat Boone, with the song being Miami! They would have had to release pigeons instead of the white doves, but dammit, I had been looking forward to Bono and Boonie singing "MIAMI! MY MAMMY!"

U2 screwed up royally, too, as usual. Bono forgot A LOT of lyrics to Beautiful Day, so he started just saying "France, Moscow, London, etc. What the hell was up with that? If he can't remember the lyrics OR the song he was SUPPOSED to sing with Boonie, he could have at least put in a snippet of "MIAMI...MY MAMMY!" instead of trying to cover his forgetful ass by naming cities randomly.

So much for online rumors. They were supposed to follow up Miami with a rousing rendition of YMCA while fully dressed in the Village People costumes, but I've heard they called that off at the last minute because Bono couldn't remember those lyrics, either. Even worse, when they went to get into costume, Bono remembered that he had given all the band's village people suits to the bands hair stylist during PopMart. Rumor has it that Edge never used the hair stylist for some reason, so he still has his costume. But, three of them are gone, and Larry is so pissed he's going to file a lawsuit.

Another sad state of affairs is that since U2 has been burned by several hair stylists, they don't use them anymore, resulting in God knows how many bad hair days fans have had to endure from Bono and Larry over the past year (Edge just keeps wearing that cap and Adam hired his own personal stylist, as he demands 24/7 coolness as opposed to greasy, half fake mullets).

Sgt Peppers, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and One. What the hell were they thinking!?!

:wink:

Re: Another setlist travesty!!!!

beLIEve said:

Who cares about Crumbs! Bastards! They were supposed to play a surprise duet with Pat Boone, with the song being Miami! They would have had to release pigeons instead of the white doves, but dammit, I had been looking forward to Bono and Boonie singing "MIAMI! MY MAMMY!"

U2 screwed up royally, too, as usual. Bono forgot A LOT of lyrics to Beautiful Day, so he started just saying "France, Moscow, London, etc. What the hell was up with that? If he can't remember the lyrics OR the song he was SUPPOSED to sing with Boonie, he could have at least put in a snippet of "MIAMI...MY MAMMY!" instead of trying to cover his forgetful ass by naming cities randomly.

So much for online rumors. They were supposed to follow up Miami with a rousing rendition of YMCA while fully dressed in the Village People costumes, but I've heard they called that off at the last minute because Bono couldn't remember those lyrics, either. Even worse, when they went to get into costume, Bono remembered that he had given all the band's village people suits to the bands hair stylist during PopMart. Rumor has it that Edge never used the hair stylist for some reason, so he still has his costume. But, three of them are gone, and Larry is so pissed he's going to file a lawsuit.

Another sad state of affairs is that since U2 has been burned by several hair stylists, they don't use them anymore, resulting in God knows how many bad hair days fans have had to endure from Bono and Larry over the past year (Edge just keeps wearing that cap and Adam hired his own personal stylist, as he demands 24/7 coolness as opposed to greasy, half fake mullets).

Sgt Peppers, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and One. What the hell were they thinking!?!

:lol: genius.

I missed U2 :sad: not that it really matters since VH1 AND MTV HARDLY SHOWED ANY OF IT. I watched almost the entire day and it really annoyed me how they kept interrupting in the middle of songs and they didn't show all the bands I wanted to see...hell if they were smart they would have had one station covering London and one doing Philly, sometimes switching to some of the other locations. And there wouldn't be constant commercial breaks and interruptions and other bullshit.

Pink Floyd was amazing though :drool: and THE WHO!!

i agree. u2 has proven constantly how they are truely the best.. and will always be the best. no one else, in my opinion can top them... now or in the future. they have made their true mark. i feel even more so than the Beatles in a lot of regards.

U2 proved they´re more outdated and irrelevant than ever and they sounded older than Pink Floyd or any other band, and Pink Floyd were the Gods of the whole event :drool:

Shame on U2, God bless Pink Floyd :drool:

U2 have become ...

Comfortably Numb ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom