MERGED --> ALL Concert Photography/Cameras Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FlyYourKite said:
I was kinda nervous about bringing my camera in to Chicago II but I thought screw it I'm just gonna show em so I even opened it up and said it wasn't a SLR one with a detachable lens and the guy was like "Yeah no problem, enjoy the show" :p

good for you

at the elev concert in June 2001 in nj I was determined to sneak my professional camra in.

See i used to see shows in the early 70's onward to the early-mid 80's [like The Who & Bruce & others] and back then they were very lientiant . they didn't really search. ANd I used to run down to the front row and shoot from there for a good 20 mins at a time..or sometimes they even didn't bother you at all!

Other times I had lots of good seats so i didn't even ned to run to the front row.

ANd i was using a pro camera with a telephot lens and everything. Then it seemed the only thing you weren't a llowed to do was put a flash unit on top of your camera.

Then they started to tighten the rules and it was bye, bye camera.

humour me, I'm reliving the easytimes!

any way I detatched my teleo lens from the SLR and wrapped them them both as Presents!

bo one bothered me. I just wasited for the lights to go down before i put it togther...

The results....?

:mad: :scream: :scream: Somehow the film never got taken up.

course i didn't KNOW this till it came back all blank!

then when i got a seat for post 9-11 at MSG :uhoh: I didn't DARE try anything !

I don't even have a frigging tix yet....but i'm reading all your advice & experiences.....

glad most of you haver had a positive experiences :up: :D

camera policy clarifcation

can someone tell me the exact rules on cameras for vertigo tour? i have read several times that you cannot bring professional cameras in, what makes it professional? how strict is it? does the local staff at the venue knwo U2's poliicy? i am not a professional photographer- but it is my hobby and i don't want to risk not being able to get my nicer camera in. thanks for any info.

I had a regular 35mm camera in chicago.

On 5/9, I had it in my jacket and the security saw the bulge and asked me to take it out. I did and then he said "oh...just a camera" and let me go.

So on 5/10 I walked past security with my camera in my hand and they didnt say anything again.

For PHilly 5/14 I had a digital camera with me and put it in my back pocket. No one really cared there either, walked right past security.

I didnt have a "professional" camera or anything, but I think the camera policy is pretty loose. Hope it helps.

Oh, another thing. On the 5/14 show, I had mid section seats right in front of the stage and I was in row 2.

Around the encore, about 5 security guys came to our section from both sides. They grabbed some guy who was filming the show. He had the camera hidden in his jacket i think, which was in his lap.

Someone must have ratted him out or something, they were real serious. They kicked him out quick.

RademR said:
Oh, another thing. On the 5/14 show, I had mid section seats right in front of the stage and I was in row 2.

Around the encore, about 5 security guys came to our section from both sides. They grabbed some guy who was filming the show. He had the camera hidden in his jacket i think, which was in his lap.

Someone must have ratted him out or something, they were real serious. They kicked him out quick.

Wow, I got lucky then. I just got a "sir, you can't use that..." :wink:

MTEdge said:

Wow, I got lucky then. I just got a "sir, you can't use that..." :wink:

I never actually saw the video camera, but everyone around us said that's what it was.

I know it wasn't for a regular camera, anyway. He was definetly hiding something.

Interesting. I only took about 4 minutes worth. Most of it is crap except for when Bono does "My name is Paul, but I call myself Bono" part... I will NOT be bringing it tomorrow. Don't want it to be confiscated. I'll go the digital camera this time. :wink:

Security is generally pretty cool with fans that bring small cameras or recorders and in Denver on both nights there were no metal detectors and I wasn’t even wanded which is a surprising post 09/11. What the band management and security really frown on is the pro stuff but you can never underestimate the a**hole factor with some security though. I've never had a problem but I know others who have.

I had a camera that was smaller than most digital cameras. Still got dinged. Funny thing though is that I swear Bono was looking my way as I took my last shot. :wink:

Security in Philly last night had no problems with cameras. I brought my digital in and I told him I had it and he said fine. They had a sign as you were walking in that said no profssional cameras and no cameras with detachable lenses. There were plenty of photo's being taken last night.

I emailed customer service at the Fleet Center and this is what she said

U2 decides the policies and procedures for each performance and they have elected to have no cameras of any type at these shows. It is their policy not ours.

Is it U2's policy to have no cameras this time at any shows? So why have they been allowed at some of them? :scratch:

ok, so i haven't read this whole thread, but my ticket says "no bags/audio/video". it says nothing about cameras. Saw Springsteen on Friday and that ticket said 'no cameras'.

Has anyone EVER had a problem with a 'normal' camera inside a U2 show?

Now I'm wondering about the affect of seperating camera parts and putting them together inside. This could only work in the first couple rows outside the ellipse - where it's really crowded. The rest of the time they have u2 security walking around the GA - inside and outside the ellipse.

Did OTTO used to sneak in his zoom lens at the start of the 2001 tour?

U2FP

Hey,

I just got home from the show in Boston tonight, and security was all over my brother for having a camera, a regular point-and-shoot digital. The guy who patted him down felt it, and sent it over to someone else who gave him 3 options:

1. leave, and get a ticket refund. (yeah, right)

2. Go back to the car and drop the camera off.

3. Give Mr. Security man your camera batteries.

So, if you get caught with a camera, you can have no problem at all if you bring extra batteries, and volunteer to give the security dude the ones in your camera. Or, you can be like me, and get patted down by someone who doesn't care what is in your pockets.

-Mike

Mike P: That seams to be sooo strict! Is there anyone who can back that story? I was thinking of doing some sightseeing before the show, have dinner and turn up - so I would have my camera on me anyway...!! Thats pretty bad, actually if thats true

Thanks for the story Mike P, I will be better prepared for the show tomorrow. Hopefully I get the type of guard that your brother had.

I smuggled in a Disposable ...Last Nite
Great Show matched my Expectations formed on the Website
(They were real HIGH) anyway,
There were only a small Handfull of people taking picutres
along w/ me on the Flr.

There were TONS of camera flashes going off around the crowd at various points, so obviously not every guard was as strict as the one my brother had.

I tried the "but the tickets only say no audio/video, and this is still photography" trick, but the guy wasn't buying it. That's annoying, but if an extra pair of batteries can save an argument....it's not a big deal.

-Mike

My search last night was a simple lift up the sides of your jacket, OK, go in. Of course I didn't bring my camera last night, planned on bringing it Saturday since I'll be a bit closer.
I saw lots of flashes, not many cameras, mostly camera phones.
Which begs the question, whats the difference? They don't stop cameraphones from being used, why bother with non-professional cameras.
In 2001 there was no issue at the Fleet, they let you bring them in no problem. Last night it seemed to depend upon who searched you.

Whats my chances of getting this puppy in- 3x optical zoom, very small (htp(insert p here)://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=11158).

Uhh... I'm thinking of buying it.

And if worse comes to worse (I am taking the T into Boston) will I be able to give the batteries to the guy and he will let me in? I CAN NOT put it in a car because I won't have one there.

Slappy....
For McCartney the same security confiscated my Camera when they saw me taking Pics during the concert....
We picked it up at shows end
So give them a 4th alternative they hold it under lock and Key youwalk w/ them and sign for it because you would be puttining it in storage ..if discovered..

For a $175 a ticket you should be able to bring in paint, canvas, and an easel if you want to. :rolleyes:

slappy sam said:
Whats my chances of getting this puppy in- 3x optical zoom, very small (htp(insert p here)://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=11158).

Uhh... I'm thinking of buying it.

And if worse comes to worse (I am taking the T into Boston) will I be able to give the batteries to the guy and he will let me in? I CAN NOT put it in a car because I won't have one there.

I give you 3 to 1 that Mr. Pat-Down-Dude doesn't even notice that thing. My camera is a sony that's about the same size, and I had no issues. But hide an extra set of batteries somewhere on your person, and you'll have no trouble even if they do find it.

-Mike

they've designed mock-binoculars that hold beer

what about a high quality digital camera shaped like binocs

btw, this post has been copyrighted and patented

u2fp

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:
they've designed mock-binoculars that hold beer

what about a high quality digital camera shaped like binocs

btw, this post has been copyrighted and patented

u2fp
Sorry Pete, I had that brainstorm about 15 years ago, so check the patent office for patents pending.:wink:

It's interesting, allot of talk about how tight security was in Boston for the first show regarding cameras and not so consequently, no one has posted pictures from that show yet.

Why would Boston's security be any tighter then any other venue?

Don't they get the same instructions regarding the bands policy from the tour management as the other security teams in other cities?

2 things. First of all, if I have to hide it where should I? I'm a guy.

Second of all, if they find it/I show them it and they don't let me in with it WILL I BE PRETTY MUCH GUARENTEED THAT I CAN GIVE THEM THE BATTERIES?

:huh:

2 things. First of all, if I have to hide it where should I? I'm a guy.

Second of all, if they find it/I show them it and they don't let me in with it WILL I BE PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED THAT I CAN GIVE THEM THE BATTERIES?

:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom