Memphis International Airport Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't make me rockspam to finish the thread!

crystals_mexico.jpg

Come on!! :drool:

Woah, that pic is from Mexico... I wonder if I could get there in March...

I think I saw one of your Mammoth Cave pics, Chass, but not any more...? :hyper:

Oh man, Ali. That's that giant ass crystal cave in Mexico! I saw that on TV, they were actually able to go INSIDE the huge crystal. It was amazing.

Anyway, I only have a few photos that I snagged from my brother-in-law, since my camera chose that moment to die.

I'll do one photo per post to make this thread go faster :D

Did everyone in the US with a credit card take stupid pills this morning?

Oh man, Ali. That's that giant ass crystal cave in Mexico! I saw that on TV, they were actually able to go INSIDE the huge crystal. It was amazing.

Anyway, I only have a few photos that I snagged from my brother-in-law, since my camera chose that moment to die.

I'll do one photo per post to make this thread go faster :D

Wow, that sounds incredible.

:hyper:

You couldn't pay me to go in there, too claustrophobic.

I think I'd be okay in there, it looks fairly roomy... what makes me freak out is the idea of squeezing through those tiny tiny gaps in caves, with like a foot of space between the floor and the roof, wriggling on your belly... :yikes: No thanks!
And even worse if it's underwater or something... argh.

It's actually REALLY huge in there. There are only a few narrow places. But I can see how being underground could get at ya.
Nice... Is that a Christmas tree I can see at the back? *L*

Sodium nitrate... that makes things go boom, right?
Yes, a Christmas tree. This was the weekend before Christmas.

And yes, they use it to make gunpowder.
Woah, cool...

Was it cold in there?
Well, it's winter here, and it was actually warmer in there than it was outside. It stays a steady 56 degrees or so in there year round. That's 13 celsius. It's actually really refreshing to go in there in the summer.
That's a bit cruel, making you climb up all those at the end... *L* Did you have to climb down that many at the start?
There were hardly any stairs down on the way in. Well, there's about 50 stairs down that lead in at the entrance, and then a lot of the main passageways just slope down with a few stairs here and there. That huge lot of 180 was killer though. It goes straight up Mammoth Dome, which is a big vertical passage. It's really pretty though.

How come? Or rather, what makes you say that? Customers all being morons?

Yup. And not the usual gang of stupid questions. The ones that make me wonder if they're wearing a helmet on the other end.

I think I'd be okay in there, it looks fairly roomy... what makes me freak out is the idea of squeezing through those tiny tiny gaps in caves, with like a foot of space between the floor and the roof, wriggling on your belly... :yikes: No thanks!
And even worse if it's underwater or something... argh.
They offer 'wild caving' tours where you have to climb and squeeze and stuff. They require a chest and hip size no greater than 42 inches. My chest fails to meet that requirement. But I'm not fit enough/brave enough to do anything like that anyway.

The narrowest place on the tour we did was Fat Man's Misery, which got as narrow as a little over a foot in some spots, but it's actually only narrow below waist level. Above that it opens up at least a meter, so it's not so bad. I had to turn sideways at the narrow spots to squeeze my bigass hips through :lol:

Oh, and there's one place that's only a little over a meter high and you have to duck through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom