Let's talk about Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afliktor

The Fly
he pretty much pwned this album imo. Melodies are top-notch, and I'm really, really impressed with the lyrics. They have an effortless poeticism that reminds me of, say, Lou Reed. but very Bono in the best way possible. There's not a single clunker here imo - the lyrics have a flow to them I haven't heard from him since the 90s. not every line is ZOMG AMAZING (and some would fail in a different context), but as a whole Songs of Innocence is really a work of art lyrically. I think it's possibly Bono's most consistent effort ever.

his voice is sounding pretty great too. nothing as knockout as MOS, though I did get total chills the first time I heard RAAAAISED BY WOLVES :heart:

so what do yall think? did Bono deliver this album? for me he's the clear standout. not that the guitarwork, rhythm section, and production aren't all excellent - but this is a Bono-driven album, through and through.

While I think there may be a few clunkers here and there, I overall agree that he has stepped up his game on this one more than past albums. He sounds good, although you can hear him strain every now and then.

But I give the biggest props to the cohesion of the lyrics, and what makes this one special (for me) was that he/ they stuck with the "Growing up in Northern Ireland" concept that really focused the lyrics. Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood Road is one helluva a one-two punch and actually lend a different perspective on the man who have seen some fucked up things as a kid and wanted to get away from it.

My first, and probably lasting, impression: this is his most "Irish" album since War.

While I think there may be a few clunkers here and there, I overall agree that he has stepped up his game on this one more than past albums. He sounds good, although you can hear him strain every now and then.

I disagree - there are lines that aren't that impressive taken on their own ("Your eyes as red as Christmas" for example), but I feel like they fit with the song. unlike more obvious 00s clunkers like "force quit and move to trash" lmao (though I appreciate Bono's love of Macs :lol: ) there's no line on here that makes me go "really, Bono? really?" and I don't think that's been the case since, I don't know, Achtung Baby?

But I give the biggest props to the cohesion of the lyrics, and what makes this one special (for me) was that he/ they stuck with the "Growing up in Northern Ireland" concept that really focused the lyrics. Raised by Wolves and Cedarwood Road is one helluva a one-two punch and actually lend a different perspective on the man who have seen some fucked up things as a kid and wanted to get away from it.

My first, and probably lasting, impression: this is his most "Irish" album since War.

Definitely. I think it's his most cohesive work since Pop. or possibly ever idk

Bono did step up on this album.

Lyrically this album is his best since AB, I think every album since AB has had clunker songs(lyrically), I'm not sure this has one, it has some lines, but not a whole song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This album is basically his autobiography. Which is not a bad thing.

I think vocally it's top. Very good vocal delivery here from him. Lyrically it's interesting how he manages to find a balance between actually telling a real story and bringing in a certain sense of poetry with enough room for interpretation. However, it wouldn't be Bono without the usual awkward or even "clunky" lyrics. I think most of his lyrics work if you read and hear them in context instead of taking out single lines and the context is what it's all about. Overall I think he's done a great job on this album. Well done, B :) :up:

This album is basically his autobiography. Which is not a bad thing.

I think vocally it's top. Very good vocal delivery here from him. Lyrically it's interesting how he manages to find a balance between actually telling a real story and bringing in a certain sense of poetry with enough room for interpretation. However, it wouldn't be Bono without the usual awkward or even "clunky" lyrics. I think most of his lyrics work if you read and hear them in context instead of taking out single lines and the context is what it's all about. Overall I think he's done a great job on this album. Well done, B :) :up:

Yep.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

I would say this is his best album vocally since Pop. Most of the gravel from the last 3 albums is gone, the notes he hits on Volcano and Raised by Wolves are amazing, and it's nice to hear the honey in his voice in the Song for Someone verses and fadeout

*Groan*. One missed word makes a lot of difference: "near". "Near Northern Ireland"

Mate, c'mon...that's a pretty big difference. There was actually quite a bit of trouble caused because of the distinction between "Ireland" and "Northern Island". A few people might have been injured if I recall. It was also kind of big deal for U2.

Just accept the correction gracefully and move on. :)

I agree re: the vocals. I like the way Danger Mouse mixes his vox on the last 5, they just seep into the mix. Love the "St. Francis" delivery on SLABT, it's so bizarre, so eerie, and I'm glad Bono can still go to those dark places.

The more polished radio tunes all sound pretty good too vocally. The only song that grates vocally is The Miracle, because he's SO up front in the mix, and it's the one song where he commits the most Bonofied sins, IMO. The only melody that I find a little corny is the chorus on Volcano. The quality of his voice there is decent, but that Vol--ca---NOO hook, ugh just not that exciting, not to mention the "is this a vacation" line. The whole song just lacks drama, it's not menacing at all nor is it pleasing in a poppish way. The low point of the album for me.

The best lyric is old, current-day Bono, talking to young, innocent Bono:

"Your eyes were like landing lights
They used to be the clearest blue
Now you don't see so well
The future's gonna land on you"

It's pretty obvious that NLOTH made Bono step up his game completely. He sounds nothing like he did in that album like he does now with SOI. He sounds very youthful on this album compared to him sounding like a haggard smoker on NLOTH. He's definitely channeled some of his 80's and '90's vocals here.

Pilgrims...that's all I have to say.

On a positive note, that's the only thing that's sticking out so far.

See, I thought the use of that word was not only fitting, but incredibly poetic. I really loved how that word worked so well into the song and theme.

It's pretty obvious that NLOTH made Bono step up his game completely. He sounds nothing like he did in that album like he does now with SOI. He sounds very youthful on this album compared to him sounding like a haggard smoker on NLOTH. He's definitely channeled some of his 80's and '90's vocals here.

I think you and I are listening to different albums. I felt Bono's "smoker's voice" was best demonstrated on anything released from 1995 to about 2003. Often Edge would hit high notes in performances where Bono would normally soar (like in "All I Want Is You"). He strained and scratched to sound well. But by NLOTH, his voice returned.

Does Bono still strain a bit here? Yes, but he also strained on TUF and on War. He hits notes that aren't really meant for him to hit. He did it then and does it now. Quite impressive, really.

Lyrics flow well in the album. I can see how people get turned off by "pilgrims" but it sort of fits in the context of the song. Same with Volcano, and the blow line. On the edge of cheese but other strengths of the song keep it from becoming a clunker.

I appreciate the idea more than the execution. Which is good and evocative for the most part but still an over-reliance on certain words that pop up too often ("dream" and "light" are this year's "heart" and "kneel").

I found his liner notes for the album to be much better written, which brings me back to a point I'll make again and again. He's so caught up in the subject matter he's writing about, it doesn't always seem tailored to the music of a specific song, and that's why he's continually cramming too many words into the lines of his verses.

On the vocal front, he's exemplary. The way he's managed to deliver early-80s-sounding songs like he used to is shocking.

I think he arrives more at the heart of a subject when he writes about it from a character's POV or in an abstract manner.

Like the obscure B-side "Deep In The Heart" (which Cedarwood Rd. borrows from in case you haven't noticed) gets at that dreamy sense of nostalgia (in that song it's remembering an early sexual experience) better than some of these songs here, where Bono is consciously attempting to explain away his childhood in a 3 to 4 minute format.

I'm not even really sold on the concept here. Only a few songs make me feel like I'm listening to an autobiographical song (Miracle, Isis, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood). It doesn't matter though, I just like the way most of them sound.

See, I thought the use of that word was not only fitting, but incredibly poetic. I really loved how that word worked so well into the song and theme.

Poetically it works on paper, but there's just something about hearing it in a rock song, or a song such as The Miracle that is trying to rock, that bothers me. The sound of it, the way it's emphasized, the fact that it's the last word in the verse....I think he could've used it in the middle of a line and made it work better, not drawing so much attention to it. As is, It just sticks out and screams "This is the Profound Moment!" much like the "top of a newborn baby's head" and "magic marker", to point out some other cringe-worthy lines.

Lyrics flow well in the album. I can see how people get turned off by "pilgrims" but it sort of fits in the context of the song. Same with Volcano, and the blow line. On the edge of cheese but other strengths of the song keep it from becoming a clunker.

We were pilgrims on our way ? Works in the context.

A heart that is broken is a heart that is open."
There is no end to love

Those are cringe-worthy.

We were pilgrims on our way ? Works in the context.

A heart that is broken is a heart that is open."
There is no end to love

Those are cringe-worthy.

Thing is, I think he sells your cringe-worthy example better than pilgrims. I think if it was used in a different type of song, maybe something folkier, it would suit things better. But this song is trying to be exciting, fun, rocking, cool..."pilgrims on our way?" Just sounds like it doesn't belong.

Absolutely love his voice here. Best vocals since Passengers. As for lyrics, there's always some clunky lyrics- even Achtung Baby had them. Overall they're better on SoI than a lot of other recent efforts.

His lyrics are not as interesting as they can sometimes be, but there also aren't any cringe-inducing lines. I think that No Line has more interesting lyrical concepts, but SOI has fewer clunkers. I give No Line a slight lyrical edge, but they're roughly comparable.

Bono's vocals are good on this album. Pretty much about the same as on Np Line.

His voice is too high in the mix and "You live here or is this a vacation?" is a classic lolBono line, but overall I think the lyrical content here is really strong, some of the best of the 2000's.

Back
Top Bottom