Le Tampon, Réunion Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hmm: No clue. :]

OK, since Liam hasn't hurried up and replied, it's a Prince cover.

Really weird and good too. I'm listening to it now. First couple of verses of The Cross lead into the instrumental Hole, which then leads into the very trippy and weird early version of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape, in which some guy (not SW) introduces the "members" of Porcupine Tree, including Sir Tarquin Underspoon, The Evaporating Flan, and and Mr Jelly.

Why the hell don't they anyway? Bono's never around. Instead of deciding they can't do much without him around, Edge should just write lyrics (they're better than Bono's current shit anyway), sing them, and get Bono in on his occasional days in Dublin to record them if he feels a U2 album needs a few Bono lines in order to sell.

At least 80% of random fans won't know the difference between Edge's voice and Bono's, anyway. Or they'll say, "Wow, Bono hasn't sounded this good in years!"

I fully support this.

I have an idea. Let's compile all our brilliant ideas for U2's restructuring and nail them to the door at Hanover Quay, like Martin Luther did with his 99...Thingies...:reject: I've forgotten the word now.

My mum would know that. Something to do with the Reformation or something else. Ax probably knows too, since it's all historical... although there are no trains or Kiwis involved.

I fully support this.

I have an idea. Let's compile all our brilliant ideas for U2's restructuring and nail them to the door at Hanover Quay, like Martin Luther did with his 99...Thingies...:reject: I've forgotten the word now.

93 Theses. :laugh:

And yes, let's do it. But let's make it 993 Theses; I doubt we'll struggle. Edge will appreciate it.

Have a good one, Reggo! :wave:

At least 80% of random fans won't know the difference between Edge's voice and Bono's, anyway. Or they'll say, "Wow, Bono hasn't sounded this good in years!"

:lmao:

See: Seconds.

Good plan. I'll just plug my ears for NLOTH, unless the album's out by then. Although they'll probably scrap everything and start again at least three more times before then.

Here's a good idea: how about U2 go on a tour before the album and road-test the new songs live?

I mean, can you imagine how much better WOWY would be if U2 had bothered to road-test it live and realised just how much pwnage Shine Like Stars is?

By the way, the mixing of Red Rocks has one downside - Bono's vocals are quite strong in the mix during Seconds, and he sings over almost all of Edge's lines. What a twat, seriously.

93 Theses. :laugh:

And yes, let's do it. But let's make it 993 Theses; I doubt we'll struggle. Edge will appreciate it.

Edge walks triumphantly into studio with ream of Theses, thumps it on table.
"See, I've been saying this for years and now I have popular support! You're all fired, suckahs!" *cue evil laughter*

They did? That could be interesting.

It's one of the better U2 covers out there.

In fact, one of the few good ones. Most U2 covers I've heard just stink. Dream Theater's Red Hill Mining Town slays, though, since LaBrie has the vocal range to sing it effortlessly.

My mum would know that. Something to do with the Reformation or something else. Ax probably knows too, since it's all historical... although there are no trains or Kiwis involved.

You might be surprised to learn that for a little while, I entertained going into Reformation-era history. I even had a journal article idea I contemplated writing, about the role of John Calvin in the creation of the modern state.

Have a good one, Ravva. :wave:

Ali, reckon we can get this place to Yorkeys Knob before we bugger off to dinner and the Aussie U2 Show?

Here's a good idea: how about U2 go on a tour before the album and road-test the new songs live?

I mean, can you imagine how much better WOWY would be if U2 had bothered to road-test it live and realised just how much pwnage Shine Like Stars is?

:hmm:

But if the studio material becomes closer to the quality of the live material, maybe they won't sell out all their concerts in -0.000005 nanoseconds any more. Oh noes.

:hmm:

But if the studio material becomes closer to the quality of the live material, maybe they won't sell out all their concerts in -0.000005 nanoseconds any more. Oh noes.

... there is no flaw in this plan. None at all.

By the way, the mixing of Red Rocks has one downside - Bono's vocals are quite strong in the mix during Seconds, and he sings over almost all of Edge's lines. What a twat, seriously.

I think I noticed that tendency of his on an early bootleg once. He really can't help himself. :rolleyes:

I think I noticed that tendency of his on an early bootleg once. He really can't help himself. :rolleyes:

Yep. Pretty much every live show, Edge gets the first line to himself, but because the "oh oh oh" part is sung by both of them, it gives Bono an opening to butt in all over the place.

It's one of the better U2 covers out there.

In fact, one of the few good ones. Most U2 covers I've heard just stink. Dream Theater's Red Hill Mining Town slays, though, since LaBrie has the vocal range to sing it effortlessly.

Oooh, also interesting.

My knowledge of other people's covers of U2 songs is limited, and what I've heard tends to not be very good.
I do need to find out if I can get that version of SBS that Trial Kennedy did on Triple J, though.

Edge walks triumphantly into studio with ream of Theses, thumps it on table.
"See, I've been saying this for years and now I have popular support! You're all fired, suckahs!" *cue evil laughter*

Adam's too stoned to notice, Bono's in Africa and wouldn't read the theses anyway unless they're disguised as reports about poverty in Ethiopia, and Larry just throws them in the fire with the other books and Passengers CDs that he uses as kindling.

You might be surprised to learn that for a little while, I entertained going into Reformation-era history. I even had a journal article idea I contemplated writing, about the role of John Calvin in the creation of the modern state.

Cool.

Was Calvin the one that hated women with a passion? I was in this cathedral in Edinburgh last year and there was a statue of some guy who was involved in the Reformation up there and was an incredible mysogynist.

Oooh, also interesting.

My knowledge of other people's covers of U2 songs is limited, and what I've heard tends to not be very good.
I do need to find out if I can get that version of SBS that Trial Kennedy did on Triple J, though.

There was this "In The Name Of Love" compilation of U2 covers by CCM bands done for charity. It is ... nauseating.

I'm trying to think of any other good U2 covers I've heard. Neal Morse quite reinvents Streets and it's rather interesting.

Have a good one, Ravva. :wave:

Ali, reckon we can get this place to Yorkeys Knob before we bugger off to dinner and the Aussie U2 Show?

*looks at clock*

*looks at pyjamas*

*considers having to recall how to drive there*

*also considers having to come up with a paragraph*

Dunno. 6pm will be a bit ambitious now!

Cool.

Was Calvin the one that hated women with a passion? I was in this cathedral in Edinburgh last year and there was a statue of some guy who was involved in the Reformation up there and was an incredible mysogynist.

Calvin didn't specifically, and Calvin's Geneva actually had - for its time - some of the most equitable laws surrounding issues such as adultery and divorce. However, the Scottish Reformers had a tendency to fall in with Calvin's thinking, so I wouldn't be shocked if you're thinking of a Calvinist.

*looks at clock*

*looks at pyjamas*

*considers having to recall how to drive there*

*also considers having to come up with a paragraph*

Dunno. 6pm will be a bit ambitious now!

:laugh:

Today has rather flown past you, hasn't it?

All I need to do is put on shoes and blazer, brush teeth, and walk out the door. Looking up tram timetables might help too.

Adam's too stoned to notice, Bono's in Africa and wouldn't read the theses anyway unless they're disguised as reports about poverty in Ethiopia, and Larry just throws them in the fire with the other books and Passengers CDs that he uses as kindling.

Edge is crestfallen.
"Well I don't care. I'm taking my guitars and going home and starting my own band, so there!" *pout*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom