LA #5 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Miracle Drug and dug the new arrangement, but it felt weird as an encore opener.

Speaking of the encore, why use those cool white lights only for one song? I wish they'd leave them up a bit longer. Not for Streets, unless they can get them to turn red. Throw another song between COBL and Streets, leave the lights out.

should use them for Reach when it starts being used as a show opener

all of them come on a few at a time as each piano note hits....that would be a way to start

Seriously, it's fun to watch this from my apt, but man when I'm at the show I'm going to punch the young kids in the nards if they never put their phones down and enjoy the fucking moment...

My dad used to worry more about taking pictures/videos on vacation than enjoying it...

i saw someone post something similar recently.

you can't have it both ways. they have their phones up so those of us at home can live vicariously through them.

be thankful while you are here and be understanding when you're there

But like I said before, it's absurd they've done 38 songs - 40 including the Roxy - over the last three weeks, yet 18 songs remain the same EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.

Yeah, this tour has managed to be simultaneously the most varied and least varied in recent memory.

lel_zps1tdtasaq.jpg

You thought we'd play Miracle Drug?

LEL.

I said in other threads, how much Miracle Drug means to me... but I still think COBL is the better choice for encore. That's my only issue with any U2 set lists. Not the songs they play or don't, but I feel they do have some weird transitions and sometimes if they just moved songs around they would work better.

Miracle Drug I think works great in first 10 songs, not last 3 or 4. Just me?

City of Blinding Lights is obviously far and away a better song than Miracle Drug in every single imaginable way, but the bored U2 fan in me can't help but be slightly disappointed that Miracle Drug didn't get it, especially in its rather good arrangement on this tour.

Cobl is alright and should be rotated, sure, but not by naff like MD.

I'm just surprised they've given up on it this fast. It would work better in a different setlist spot.

But like I said before, it's absurd they've done 38 songs - 40 including the Roxy - over the last three weeks, yet 18 songs remain the same EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.

The reason 18 songs remain the same every night is because the majority of people don't sit around on laptops listening to/watching live feeds every night. Most people go to a show (or two, given the new setup) and they expect the core classics and a handful of new material with maybe a rare song or two mixed in.

You can't possibly tell me that this is news to you.

Miracle Drug I think works great in first 10 songs, not last 3 or 4. Just me?

I think that a legitimate MD->Streets segue, with some sort of song snippeted in the middle, could have worked really well, as we thought would happen in rehearsals.

The phones blocking my view were my one complaint about GA in Phoenix. I'm short enough that while I might have a good view, it's hard enough to see between people's heads, much less all the phones in the air.

But hey, that's the way it is now. I'd rather have that than a bunch of people staring down at their phones, dicking around with texts or Facebook or whatever for the entire show.

And it was a minor complaint in GA. I saw plenty, and had such a fucking blast getting to see the shows with awesome people. :)

i saw someone post something similar recently.

you can't have it both ways. they have their phones up so those of us at home can live vicariously through them.

be thankful while you are here and be understanding when you're there

I think it was me. Me and you just don't see eye to eye very much.

I only took a sign for when I was on rail, and I just held it infront of the rail, not in the air.

Though I do think Travis might have raided it up at one point :uhoh:.

The reason 18 songs remain the same every night is because the majority of people don't sit around on laptops listening to/watching live feeds every night. Most people go to a show (or two, given the new setup) and they expect the core classics and a handful of new material with maybe a rare song or two mixed in.

This has also been the case since, like, the Joshua Tree Tour, and U2 have still managed to mess with the core of the set a bit more than this.

The Forum - Los Angeles, CA - June 3, 2015

---------- People Have the Power ----------
01 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
02 - Out of Control / Good Times, Bad Times (snippet)
03 - Vertigo
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - Song for Someone
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
09 - Raised by Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
10 - Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet)
---------- INTERMISSION: The Wanderer ----------
11 - Invisible
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Mysterious Ways / Burning Down the House (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet)
14 - Volcano
15 - Ordinary Love
16 - Every Breaking Wave
17 - Bullet the Blue Sky / Black Dog (snippet) / 19 (snippet)
18 - The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
19 - Beautiful Day
20 - The Troubles
21 - With or Without You
---------- Stephen Hawking Video ----------
22 - City of Blinding Lights
23 - Mother and Child Reunion (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name

Miracle Drug just isn't an encore opener though, it's not an attention grabber like Desire, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Discotheque, HMTMKMKM, Bullet, Zoo Station, ABOY, Ultraviolet, COBL are

it just quietly floats in. it could work okay as a second song in the encore I guess if they dropped this damn Paul Simon thing

City of Blinding Lights is obviously far and away a better song than Miracle Drug in every single imaginable way, but the bored U2 fan in me can't help but be slightly disappointed that Miracle Drug didn't get it, especially in its rather good arrangement on this tour.

I've never been a big fan of Miracle Drug but I thought it rocked in Vancouver and liked it better than COBL. It just had some punch to it that's been lost on COBL the last few tours.

I had a sign at LA3, fuck you guys. I got a rail spot so I'm better than everyone else.

#fourthreich

What are you talking about? I've engaged in this debate at length before so I won't again.

But an unchanging core of 18 is pretty static, and no reason you can't rotate AIWIY/WOWY, EBTTRT/MW, etc. One/ISHFWILF, Desire/Angel, TEC/OOC are working well, and if you rotate one hit with another you can't even disappoint the "casuals" or single-show-goers trotted out by people like you whenever this topic is raised.

I only took a sign for when I was on rail, and I just held it infront of the rail, not in the air.

That's different, of course.

... although if Bono glances at it and gets distracted, then the rail signs are to blame for his fucking up the lyrics. :wink:

U2 have proven that they do not have to play One on a nightly basis this tour

I think almost anything could be switched out at this point but they're not daring enough to try. imagine if Volcano swapped in for Vertigo or something.

Back
Top Bottom