Killers are the NEXT U2???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BEETHOVEN: THE NEXT MOZART?
11 November 1788

Ludwig van Beethoven -- a promising pianist from Bonn, whose technical approach has often been compared to that of Mozart's -- dazzled Viennese patrons today with several original concertos. We at Vienna Media descended upon him like flies after his performance, eager to badger him about his next composition.

When asked if he thought he would be able to top Mozart's latest work, Symphony No. 41 in C major, the young German became visibly agitated. "Ja, of course I would," he replied. "That one was a bit disappointing, no? A few bright moments, but nothing like the Mozart I know and love. The piano concerto I am working on right now is quite brilliant, and I'm sure it will beat the Scheiße out of anything Mozart has written over the past few months, or anything he will write in the future. I will knock him off his pedestal. It feels like it's time."

After being told that we had a preliminary copy of Mozart's opera-in-progress [ed. note: tentatively titled 'Die Zauberflöte'] that was also quite brilliant, Beethoven dismissed us with a scoff. "Please. Anyone can compose a Singspiel. Mozart is getting older now, and his ideas aren't as fresh as they once were. Just you wait until I finish my first symphony - ten years from now, people will be saying Wolfgang Who?"

(I'm bored and need an outlet for my procrastination.)

Oh yeah, I remember reading that back then. :up:
Good times..

:giggle:

Brandon Flowers has always been an arrogant douche to hide his obvious insecurities. He's so stiff on stage and his big pronouncements compensate for an obviously insecure guy.

I loved the first album in the record store and bought it the week it came out; I completely lost interest a month later. The Killers are fun, but ultimately shallow and dull.

I first got whiff of Flowers' rudeness when he said Thom Yorke needs to get back to writing pop songs. How about some respect for a fellow artist? You can't say stuff like that publicly!

The Killers will never be U2 because U2 has put out artistically credible stuff in the past. U2 has to remember that for this upcoming album and not dumb things down to compete with The Killers; U2's desire to be accepted by the mainstream this past decade has been their undoing, and will continue to be if the band doesn't remember what made it great!

Don't try to compete with this ass, Bono, you're better than that!

I first got whiff of Flowers' rudeness when he said Thom Yorke needs to get back to writing pop songs. How about some respect for a fellow artist? You can't say stuff like that publicly!
!

Sounds more like a something Flowers' would merely like to hear, or a simple recommendation to me. Hardly rude or disrespectful.

God help democracy if something as trivial and honest as that can't be said publicly.

Mind you, whenever Flowers or Martin open their mouth, anything they seem to say is sacrilege to some folk.

PS. Just searched for some of those interviews where Flowers made those claims. LOL at the over reaction to his comments.

Well let's do a comparison so far....

Boy
~3.8 million copies sold in 28 years
Peak chart position was 63 on Billboard 200
0 grammy nominations

Hot Fuss
~5 million copies sold in 3 years
Peak chart position was 7 on the Billboard 200
5 Grammy nominations

October
~3.7 million copies sold in 27 years
Peak chart position was 104 on Billboard 200

Sam's Town
~4 million copies sold in 2 years
Peak chart position was 2 on Billboard 200

The Killers have also been playing much bigger venues than U2 were playing during their Boy-October era.

So I'd say the Killers are on a better pace to start their career than U2, they just need to keep it up for another 30 years ;)

The comparison so far is completely irrelevant. They want to be the next U2, I want to provide some context as to what they are up against. Also, remember with albums and chart positions, that the early 1980s was a much better time period for music than the 2000s! Think: AC/DC, the Police, Springsteen, Eddie Money, Van Halen, a bunch of one hit wonders that were great, list goes on vs Justin Timberlake and Ne Yo and all the other rap crap that counts as popular music today. Dont want to get into venues argument, that would be worthless, but I must point out that October period saw plenty of U2 playing at festivals that drew large amounts of people, alot of the time as headliners.

As lemonmelon says, they will never make an album that sells 20 million copies, nor will they ever reach the level of artistic diversity that U2 has reached. Grammy nominations mean nothing- I was talking about winning, which has not happened for the killers, has plenty for U2. Flowers is now 27, when Bono was 27, U2 had completed 3 major world tours(war,UF, JT) and had headlined the conspiracy of hope tour featuring the Police, Peter Gabriel and many others. They were filling football stadiums back to back nights, then coming back to the same area a week later to do 3 arena shows. Boston 1987 featured Foxboro Stadium(60,000) and then into Boston for 2 nights at the old Garden(36,000 total). The Killers have not done that yet, not even come close. At the same age, U2 had already gained a level of world wide fame not seen since the Beatles. The Killers, not so much.

People forget, everyone knew U2 would be special right from 1980, there was never a doubt. All this current speculation is simply the music industry taking established artists(killers, coldplay) who have been kicking a few years and trying to gurantee themselves a future by promoting someone as the next big thing.

U2 started down the path of history that leads to the beatles, rolling stones, hendrix, et al right from BOY and never looked back.
I'm at work, I'm bored, I'll bite. Everyone knew in 1980 that U2 were special? Were you around in 1980? Well I became a fan in 1981, and U2 were just another alternative band, around with Echo and Teardrop Explodes, and SLF etc etc. Sure I liked them more than the others but they were not the "anointed ones". It wasn't till after Red Rocks that they got really famous and possibly the heirs to the Police throne. And they got there cos the Police broke up. If the Police, and the Clash for that matter, had held it together for a few more years in the 80s, then who knows how history would have gone.

BTW - Martin was right, this article is rubbish.

This is the original quote..

"He's open in his desire for the Killers to be a stadium-sized act, to catch up with Coldplay and join up with U2 on the top 'pedestal... They're getting old. You know there's going to be a coupla songs on [U2's new] record you're just going to love. They're unbelievable. But there's gotta be... I dunno, it feels like it's time.'"

from this article

Yet they turn it into this...

"He says, "(We can replace U2 on the top) pedestal. They're getting old. You know there's going to be a couple of songs on (their) new record you're just going to love. But there's gotta be... I dunno. It feels like it's time." "

They change the "catching up to U2 and joining them on the top pedestal" part to "replacing them on the top pedestal", and then they take out the "they're unbelievable" part just to stir up shit.

The original article states U2 is the band the Killers most want to emulate, which is a compliment, not that the Killers are going to be the next U2, or replace them or whatever.

So yeah, that's just a lame article trying to make news rather than report it.

For the record, I remember when Kid A was released the great Bono said essentially the same thing. He was disappointed with the new direction and he said he wished that Radiohead would write songs that were more radio-friendly, because he thought they deserved to be heard by the masses.

Then I remember reading somewhere where Thom basically said he doesn't care what Bono thinks.

A minor detail, I'm sure.

Well let's do a comparison so far....

Boy
~3.8 million copies sold in 28 years
Peak chart position was 63 on Billboard 200
0 grammy nominations

Hot Fuss
~5 million copies sold in 3 years
Peak chart position was 7 on the Billboard 200
5 Grammy nominations

October
~3.7 million copies sold in 27 years
Peak chart position was 104 on Billboard 200

Sam's Town
~4 million copies sold in 2 years
Peak chart position was 2 on Billboard 200

The Killers have also been playing much bigger venues than U2 were playing during their Boy-October era.

Forget all the changes the music business went in the 20+ years between U2 and the Killers. :up:

For the record, I remember when Kid A was released the great Bono said essentially the same thing. He was disappointed with the new direction and he said he wished that Radiohead would write songs that were more radio-friendly, because he thought they deserved to be heard by the masses.

Then I remember reading somewhere where Thom basically said he doesn't care what Bono thinks.

A minor detail, I'm sure.

That's not what he said. He never mentioned once that he was disappointed with the direction and wished they'd write differently. He said he wished Radiohead would embrace the idea of wanting to be bigger, then he went on to say can you imagine a day when radio was playing Radiohead, Pearl Jam, U2, instead of what they play now.

It wasn't about writing differently it was about wanting to get out there, for he even said I understand why bands like Radiohead and Pearl Jam want to remain under the radar but for selfish reasons I wish they wouldn't.

11 November 1788

Ludwig van Beethoven -- a promising pianist from Bonn, whose technical approach has often been compared to that of Mozart's -- dazzled Viennese patrons today with several original concertos. We at Vienna Media descended upon him like flies after his performance, eager to badger him about his next composition.

When asked if he thought he would be able to top Mozart's latest work, Symphony No. 41 in C major, the young German became visibly agitated. "Ja, of course I would," he replied. "That one was a bit disappointing, no? A few bright moments, but nothing like the Mozart I know and love. The piano concerto I am working on right now is quite brilliant, and I'm sure it will beat the Scheiße out of anything Mozart has written over the past few months, or anything he will write in the future. I will knock him off his pedestal. It feels like it's time."

After being told that we had a preliminary copy of Mozart's opera-in-progress [ed. note: tentatively titled 'Die Zauberflöte'] that was also quite brilliant, Beethoven dismissed us with a scoff. "Please. Anyone can compose a Singspiel. Mozart is getting older now, and his ideas aren't as fresh as they once were. Just you wait until I finish my first symphony - ten years from now, people will be saying Wolfgang Who?"

This Beethoven kid is such an upstart! There can be only one Mozart, who does this guy think he is?! :angry:

As lemonmelon says, they will never make an album that sells 20 million copies, nor will they ever reach the level of artistic diversity that U2 has reached.

Wow! I'm impressed how you people can see the future so clearly! :applaud:

:nerd: Sorry to disappoint you all, but I just did some scientific research with all sorts of charts and data and mathematical findings and whatnot. Turns out, The Killers are the next U2.

And it seems Coldplay are the next Culture Club.

11 November 1788

Damn,totally knocked that one out of the park :lmao: Kudos to you my friend :bow:

That's not what he said. He never mentioned once that he was disappointed with the direction and wished they'd write differently. He said he wished Radiohead would embrace the idea of wanting to be bigger, then he went on to say can you imagine a day when radio was playing Radiohead, Pearl Jam, U2, instead of what they play now.

It wasn't about writing differently it was about wanting to get out there, for he even said I understand why bands like Radiohead and Pearl Jam want to remain under the radar but for selfish reasons I wish they wouldn't.

That's right. My memory is getting fuzzier as I get older. :wink:

This Beethoven kid is such an upstart! There can be only one Mozart, who does this guy think he is?! :angry:

Yeah! What an arrogant douche he is! I bet he's saying this shit to hide his insecurities. Let's burn all his scores. :angry:

I'm at work, I'm bored, I'll bite. Everyone knew in 1980 that U2 were special? Were you around in 1980? Well I became a fan in 1981, and U2 were just another alternative band, around with Echo and Teardrop Explodes, and SLF etc etc. Sure I liked them more than the others but they were not the "anointed ones". It wasn't till after Red Rocks that they got really famous and possibly the heirs to the Police throne. And they got there cos the Police broke up. If the Police, and the Clash for that matter, had held it together for a few more years in the 80s, then who knows how history would have gone.

It's no use - most people here will continue to believe that Boy was a musically unique and groundbreaking record, even if we play Crocodiles and Kilimanjaro for them on repeat.

anyone remember this?

bonoandbrandon.jpg

:hmm:

Shit...and I'm a huge Killers fan as well...I'm upset Flowers would make such a statement since a similar remark prevents me from being a Coldplay fan ;) hehe... Guess I can go buy Viva La Vida now ;) haaha

Honestly though---All three bands are different in their own right and are gifted musicans at that...but there can be only one U2 :)

ok, i like coldplay. i love the killers. neither one are the next U2....period.

i'm kinda tired of bands trying to take on that label, and of critics as well as fans tryin to give them that label. why is this nessacary? i've heard people say U2 are the modern day beatles. the beatles are beatles. U2 are U2. they each blazed their own musical path, and are incredible bands in their own right. if one of the newer bands like coldplay or the killers end up having as successful and long-lasting a career as U2..then good for them! however, this does NOT mean that they are a NEW U2! first of all, U2 haven't broken up like the beatles did, they haven't quit making music, not should they!

i am a huge fan of the killers and have seen many of their shows, gotten to meet the band, etc. this quote from brandon actually dissapoints me a great deal and i hope it was taken out of context. when i met him, we spoke briefly about U2, and he just seemed like such a big fan, like he could be on the blue crack even! so, i hope he hasn't gotten so cocky as to really believe that anyone could ever or should ever usurp all that is U2!!

What a childish thread.

I guess every band that's not U2 sucks right?

First of all, Bono, early in his career, stated that he felt that U2 were the next Who. So let's not be judgmental. And you know what? He was right.

Are The Killers the next U2? Meaning "Are the Killers the next great alternative rock band worth listening to?" Maybe. I think they write great songs.

And Sam's Town, I don't care what anyone says, is a classic album. Better than their first. I LOVED Sam's Town.

But are they the next U2? I don't know. I take U2 more...seriously, I guess. I feel like their songs are more emotional. The Killers feel a little lighter than U2. That's not to say that they can't "heavy" it up a bit, though.

But with the Killer's melodies and songwriting, I feel they have a decent shot. "Read My Mind" is an incredible tune, worthy of our boys from Ireland.

And get over it, Coldplay write good songs, too. Viva La Vida is not the next masterpiece of the 21st century, but it's a good album.

Why does everything have to be gang warfare?

ok, i like coldplay. i love the killers. neither one are the next U2....period.

i'm kinda tired of bands trying to take on that label, and of critics as well as fans tryin to give them that label. why is this nessacary? i've heard people say U2 are the modern day beatles. the beatles are beatles. U2 are U2. they each blazed their own musical path, and are incredible bands in their own right. if one of the newer bands like coldplay or the killers end up having as successful and long-lasting a career as U2..then good for them! however, this does NOT mean that they are a NEW U2! first of all, U2 haven't broken up like the beatles did, they haven't quit making music, not should they!

i am a huge fan of the killers and have seen many of their shows, gotten to meet the band, etc. this quote from brandon actually dissapoints me a great deal and i hope it was taken out of context. when i met him, we spoke briefly about U2, and he just seemed like such a big fan, like he could be on the blue crack even! so, i hope he hasn't gotten so cocky as to really believe that anyone could ever or should ever usurp all that is U2!!

Well said. :up:

the only problem I have with the killers is brandon flowers voice. he doesn't really have a good singing voice.

Why call a band "The Killers".......? Such strange attitude............. :scratch:

Snap!Killers of music! I got it! :wink:

They are called The Killers 'cause they love themselves some New Order and in the video for 'Crystal', the fictional band is called The Killers.

Killers are a quality band.

Just thinking about possible 'next U2's. The band probably in the best position is the Arctic Monkeys. Love them or loathe them, they are in a great position to really take the world by storm, apparently have an incredible live show and dont hesitate to put out releases quite frequently. A few one-off singles here and there as well, just like U2 in the old days. Really depends on if they wanna change their sound like U2 did.

Back
Top Bottom