jen's room superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have never seen snow either , and i am glad, im already got a long sleeve top a hoodie and a polar fleece over the top.

mmmmm trench coat and boots weather :drool: :drool:

Axver said:

Really? I went down to Stony Point on the train and in the southeast and CBD I just encountered light spitting.

Yeah, it pissed down in Wezza today. We need this rain, thank god.

But hey, that's Melbourne. The sun came out for half an hour as well. :shrug:

COBL_04 said:
:lol: it's all true though... and to think I was going to get into his solo work... if it's like that I might buy it if I develop insomnia or something...

Dave Gilmour for me :drool:

Plus I have HUGE respect for Rick Wright.

Any Colour You Like is THE best instrumental I've heard, just edging out Speed of Life by David Bowie.

I've listened to one Waters solo album, Radio KAOS. Completely put me off checking out any more. Might download the others sometime but it's waaaayyy down the bottom of my priorities list.

I'll agree with you about Gilmour and Wright. Especially as Wright sings the best PF song ever, Summer '68. :up:

Now, I'm sure you're expecting me to name some Porcupine Tree song like The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase Two) as the best instrumental ever, or something even more obscure like Sowilo Rune by Agalloch or whatever. But nope. The instrumental I love the most is Bass Trap by U2.

I'm serious.

I love where I live because the weather is so erratic. You can have your heat on and your AC on in the same day. We've had days where we had the AC on on Christmas. In the last month, the weather here has gone consistantly back and forth between cold and warm. On one day it would be warm enough to wear shorts and a tanktop, and then the next day you'd be back to jackets. It actually snowed here for about 2 minutes on Easter :lol:

Axver said:

Now, I'm sure you're expecting me to name some Porcupine Tree song like The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase Two) as the best instrumental ever, or something even more obscure like Sowilo Rune by Agalloch or whatever. But nope. The instrumental I love the most is Bass Trap by U2.

I'm serious.

I call bullshit.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I love where I live because the weather is so erratic. You can have your heat on and your AC on in the same day. We've had days where we had the AC on on Christmas. In the last month, the weather here has gone consistantly back and forth between cold and warm. On one day it would be warm enough to wear shorts and a tanktop, and then the next day you'd be back to jackets. It actually snowed here for about 2 minutes on Easter :lol:

That sounds almost sane and predictable compared to Melbourne.

I love how the weather in this city is a genuine, legitimate topic of conversation, not just small talk filler.

coolian2 said:
I've been in snow, once.

It was when i was in Scotland in 1999, and the snow delayed the start of the county cricket season because it went pretty far south into England.

Fuck, i wanna revisit.

CRICKET delayed by snow? :lol:

Axver said:

I've listened to one Waters solo album, Radio KAOS. Completely put me off checking out any more. Might download the others sometime but it's waaaayyy down the bottom of my priorities list.

I'll agree with you about Gilmour and Wright. Especially as Wright sings the best PF song ever, Summer '68. :up:

I'm serious.

I downloaded Summer '68 the other day... and it's not up there for me. Sorry. But still better than a few of the others there.

Bass Trap is indeed lovely, but there's a few others I prefer. I'd name Endless Deep as my favourite.

Would you agree that with Waters the 'story' gets in the way of the music?

I've just been hearing about how the English are psycho over their soccer, as in you can't wear certain coloured shirts in some places for fear over getting your head kicked in...

COBL_04 said:

Yeah, it pissed down in Wezza today. We need this rain, thank god.

But hey, that's Melbourne. The sun came out for half an hour as well. :shrug:

It was just about raining sheets at 10:30am on Thursday in Parkville. Less than an hour later, it was nice and sunny. I'd honestly never seen it rain so much in Melbourne in the 14 months I've lived down here. It was mind-boggling.

Axver said:
That sounds almost sane and predictable compared to Melbourne.

I love how the weather in this city is a genuine, legitimate topic of conversation, not just small talk filler.
It can be here too.

Get this, I have this friend in England, who downloaded some kind of program that automatically gives weather updates or something, except it only worked for locations in America, so he put my city in... and then soon began complaining that there was always a severe weather alert for my area.

If it's not spring flooding (which we're currently having) then it's summer thunderstorms, autumn tornadoes, or winter ice/snow.

COBL_04 said:

I downloaded Summer '68 the other day... and it's not up there for me. Sorry. But still better than a few of the others there.

Bass Trap is indeed lovely, but there's a few others I prefer. I'd name Endless Deep as my favourite.

Would you agree that with Waters the 'story' gets in the way of the music?

Trust me when I say Summer '68 is a grower. I've been a PF fan since 2003. Sorrow was my favourite Floyd song until about May 2007. One evening, I was waiting for a tram in Balaclava, it was a very dark night, it was lightly raining, and cars were just whizzing by. It felt very desolate, and in that moment, Summer '68 completely hit me. It's been my favourite ever since.

Endless Deep has vocals! You can't say it's a better instrumental than Bass Trap, heh.

And I totally agree about Waters. The Wall collapses under the weight of the story.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

It can be here too.

Get this, I have this friend in England, who downloaded some kind of program that automatically gives weather updates or something, except it only worked for locations in America, so he put my city in... and then soon began complaining that there was always a severe weather alert for my area.

If it's not spring flooding (which we're currently having) then it's summer thunderstorms, autumn tornadoes, or winter ice/snow.

which part of hell do you live in ?

DreamOutLoud13 said:

It can be here too.

:lol:

I fairly regularly check the Bureau of Meteorology's Victoria page, usually multiple times a day, and I've only ONCE seen it displaying no warnings. At the moment?

Warnings for Victoria

* Warnings current:
* Coastal Wind Warning West of Cape Otway,
* Coastal Wind Warning Cape Otway to Wilsons Prom,
* Coastal Wind Warning East of Wilsons Prom,
* Coastal Wind Warning Port Phillip and Western Port,
* Gippsland Lakes Wind Warning,
* Ocean Wind Warning.

Axver said:

Trust me when I say Summer '68 is a grower. I've been a PF fan since 2003. Sorrow was my favourite Floyd song until about May 2007. One evening, I was waiting for a tram in Balaclava, it was a very dark night, it was lightly raining, and cars were just whizzing by. It felt very desolate, and in that moment, Summer '68 completely hit me. It's been my favourite ever since.

Endless Deep has vocals! You can't say it's a better instrumental than Bass Trap, heh.

And I totally agree about Waters. The Wall collapses under the weight of the story.

Three plays so far, and it's getting better.

Well, techincally that's true. :lol: No Line on the Horizon however :drool:

Ugh, glad someone else agrees. Songs like One of My Turns, Don't Leave Me Alone, are boring as fuck for like three minutes and then finally something happens. It's a hard album to listen to.

COBL_04 said:
Three plays so far, and it's getting better.

Well, techincally that's true. :lol: No Line on the Horizon however :drool:

Ugh, glad someone else agrees. Songs like One of My Turns, Don't Leave Me Alone, are boring as fuck for like three minutes and then finally something happens. It's a hard album to listen to.

Yeah. I didn't even NOTICE it at first. So the hype from Liam and I might seem misleading, but it's a song that isn't immediate at all. (I'm sure Liam is about to pipe up here in usual Liam fashion that "Summer '68 was brilliant from first listen" or something like that.)

:lol: Shame we never got a better quality NLOTH.

I only listen to three songs on The Wall: Hey You, Comfortably Numb, and Run Like Hell. The rest can just fuck off. It drags and the music is completely sacrificed at the altar of the story. I hate it.

coolian2 said:
Heh, i just realised why it's so dark outside.

Earth Hour bullshit.

And here i am with a lot of the lights in the house needlessly blazing.

That Earth Hour thing is just too gimmicky.

Goddamnit, people, why don't you start electing worthwhile politicians who'll do the right thing instead? But nooo, let's do easy gimmicks that make us FEEL like we're doing something.

As it is, I keep my energy consumption at a minimum ANYWAY. But to be quite frank, while it has pleasant environmental benefits, the reason I do so is to keep my electricity bill down!

Axver said:

Yeah. I didn't even NOTICE it at first. So the hype from Liam and I might seem misleading, but it's a song that isn't immediate at all. (I'm sure Liam is about to pipe up here in usual Liam fashion that "Summer '68 was brilliant from first listen" or something like that.)

:lol: Shame we never got a better quality NLOTH.

I only listen to three songs on The Wall: Hey You, Comfortably Numb, and Run Like Hell. The rest can just fuck off. It drags and the music is completely sacrificed at the altar of the story. I hate it.

Is the rest of Atom Heart Mother decent?

:lol: I can't believe people made such a big deal over that. I deleted it from my computer.

:lmao: I'm don't quite abhor it that much, because there's other songs I enjoy, such as In the Flesh, In the Flesh?, Mother, Vera...

coolian2 said:

Earth Hour bullshit.

:lmao: yeah i reeely want to sit in the dark for an hour. :| i paid extra to the power nazis for wind generated green power.

coolian2 said:
The only PF album i have is The Wall - because i found it in a box in the garage.

Wish You Were Here. NOW.

Animals is actually my favourite, but an introduction to GOOD Pink Floyd via three songs over 10 minutes long may not be so wise. WYWH combines their shorter and more sprawling sides.

coolian2 said:
The only PF album i have is The Wall - because i found it in a box in the garage.

Do yourself a favour, go out and grab Dark Side and Wish you Were Here. Both almost flawless, especially WYWH. Then if you enjoy them, try Animals. And Meddle :drool:

coolian2 said:

Earth Hour bullshit.

It was kind of cheating for the people who organized that to make it the middle of the night in America, 'cause plenty of people here are going to have their lights off right now anyway. Of course, my light is on (and technically, my lamp is also on, even though it's clear on the other side of the room and I'm not using it :lol: )

Axver said:

That Earth Hour thing is just too gimmicky.

Goddamnit, people, why don't you start electing worthwhile politicians who'll do the right thing instead? But nooo, let's do easy gimmicks that make us FEEL like we're doing something.

As it is, I keep my energy consumption at a minimum ANYWAY. But to be quite frank, while it has pleasant environmental benefits, the reason I do so is to keep my electricity bill down!

Same - the reason i turn the lights and other stuff off is because power is expensive.

Gimmicky crap like Earth Hour are a reason why people like me don't take climate change lobby groups seriously.

It pleases me that Split Enz are currently burning a lot of at the Vector Arena right now - i wish i'd got tickets.

COBL_04 said:

Is the rest of Atom Heart Mother decent?

:lol: I can't believe people made such a big deal over that. I deleted it from my computer.

:lmao: I'm don't quite abhor it that much, because there's other songs I enjoy, such as In the Flesh, In the Flesh?, Mother, Vera...

Er ... download it. Liam will kill me for this, but I find the Atom Heart Mother Suite to be an overblown, overlong waste of time. If, Summer '68, and Fat Old Sun are all worth the time of day. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is a curiosity you play once and never touch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom