is there any chance of them playing ultreviolet again ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I'm listening to the song right now, actually. It's such a cool medley and I'd love it if they did stuff like this more often. I never knew they did Two Shots Of Happy! Wow, I must have missed that one when scanning setlists. Oh, that would have been so awesome.

He only did two verses of the song, one verse before Stay and the other one after Stay. The band had just finished playing Desire and somebody in the crowd was yelling to Bono, requesting the song. Bono went into some discussion with him ("What do you want to hear? [...] Yeah, I know I wrote that. [...] That's not a guarantee I know the words. Besides Tourrette's I have a few other vices (diseases?), Alzheimer being one of them.") I don't know the exact conversation as I'm quoting from memory now. Luckily Bono knew a short bit of it ("I'm just a singer, some say a sinner...) to make my day, that night.

Why do I get the feeling you're a bit of a good luck charm at concerts? Heh.

Experience, my friend. Experience. ;)
No seriously, I just call it plain luck (and the fact that U2 were definately on a roll during Elevation, considering the many treats others got at other concerts)

Anything else notable you have to tell us? Oh, and in the medley, did Bono actually have to read the lyrics or was he just singing it off memory?

According to the U2 Live book a fan brought with him the lyric sheets for the songs. I didn't see it personally as I was at the back of the arena that night (but being an arena I still felt very close to the band). Apparently, Bono did refuse the lyric sheets for One Tree Hill and Exit. It did almost prompt me to make a lyric sheet for Acrobat that night, as I was going to see them again the next day, together with my sister who would experience her first U2 concert. And what an experience it was. We came at the venue early, as we had GA tickets, waited all day and ended up in the heart - first row right in front of Adam! :eek: I don't think I have to tell you that was the best Elevation experience I had. :)

As for the other notable things, there are so many favourite U2 concert moments. *starts rambling*
The premiere of MacPhisto (at the first Zooropa concert in Rotterdam, my first ever U2 concert). U2 playing MLK and Rain at the end of the first Rotterdam Popmart concert (the one where the majority of the Popheart EP was recorded) was also a great moment.
U2 concerts have are just unbelievable!

C ya!

Marty (feeling extremely happy now :dance: )

Wow, that's so cool with Two Shots Of Happy. I think I now need to get a bootleg of that one! Some of the Elevation shows had such cool setlists compared to previous years ... though there is the Glasgow 8th August 1993 show where Bono makes Edge play Lost Highway ...

Popmartijn said:
No seriously, I just call it plain luck (and the fact that U2 were definately on a roll during Elevation, considering the many treats others got at other concerts)

Heh, well with that kind of luck, I think we should just take you to all the concerts next tour! I'm desperately hoping for varied setlists, but I honestly do not see it happening. As has been discussed, most old songs that haven't been played in years probably won't return with the exception of one or two gems. I would wet myself laughing if they brought back Cartoon World! I'd love to see the expression on Bono's face if someone asked him to play it ... would he even remember? Not likely!

Wow, right in front of Adam? How awesome! I wonder how many people have tried to get them to play Acrobat or Heartland ...

That's just so awesome you were at the first MacPhisto show! What I wouldn't give to see MacPhisto come back! The performance of Rain from Popmart Rotterdam is really good, though I have to say I prefer the one from Leeds. I downloaded that show today and it's just awesome.

I'm so tempted to come to Europe for some concerts on the next tour, they always sound so good.

So are you saying everyone should just grab a copy of the album sleeve and give it to Bono, while pointing to a specific song? ;)

:eek: One tree hill and Exit were offered that night too? Interesting...

Ultraviolet live would be nice-
:shrug: I dunno...it depends whether Elevation was an exception in bringing so many older/less known songs or will they do this on every tour from now on.
I am counting on Running to stand still to come back, but I'd rather not bet on anything else.

*edit* Tourette? What kind of illness in that?
He was probably joking about Alzheimer, as he'd no doubt forget ALL the lyrics to all songs if that were true.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Yes, I wonder if one could infer anything from that ...

I dunno...it depends whether Elevation was an exception in bringing so many older/less known songs or will they do this on every tour from now on.

I think the next tour is really the only way we'll find out. The setlists in the eighties were generally varied to an extent similar to Elevation, while in the nineties they were ultra-static. So which are they going to follow? I'd like to say eighties, but who knows?

I am counting on Running to stand still to come back, but I'd rather not bet on anything else.

Hmm ... I'd have to agree with you there. Running To Stand Still works so well with Bullet that I can't see them not bringing it back sometime in the future, especially if they want to utilise that piano more! I'm also betting on an increase in performances of 11 O'clock Tick Tock and I sure hope I'm right!

Tourette? What kind of illness in that?
He was probably joking about Alzheimer, as he'd no doubt forget ALL the lyrics to all songs if that were true.

I honestly cannot remember what Tourettes is, but yeah, he would've been joking about Alzheimers ... probably making a joke at having a poor memory! So is that why some songs don't return? Heh.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where abouts in Ultraviolet (time in minutes and seconds) you can hear Larry droping his drumstick? Much appreciated if there is a response

U2girl said:
So are you saying everyone should just grab a copy of the album sleeve and give it to Bono, while pointing to a specific song? ;)

Quoting a remark from our beloved B-man here: It pays to advertise! :)

I recalled those being offered too, but not being at home at that time I couldn't check it with the U2 Live book. Now I've read the entry again it seems my memory (partially) left me. Apparently, other lyric sheets included Red Hill Mining Town and One Tree Hill. Still, that's enough to let out an :eek:

*edit* Tourette? What kind of illness in that?

Tourette's is a disease where you don't have control over your speech. Those who have it blurt out shouts during conversation, often profanities. So if Bono is rambling again somewhere, you now know why. ;)

C ya!

Marty

:shocked: Red hill mining town?

:laugh: I can see it now, fans in first row all bringing sheets of paper and then offering them to Bono to sing.

Hmmm, is Tourette's something a guy like Eminem might have, as he curses 99% of the time in his talking?
(why didn't Bono say that when he was critisized for the f word when they got the Golde Globe?)

In interviews Bono always seems focused and not letting out any shouts :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom