Interference Random Music Talk Part III: The One Not Ruined by Sofia Coppola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'll throw this one at you, Rough Squad:

Later this week, I have to perform an acoustic song in school (long story, but it is by choice). Anyway, I'm currently thinking that I'll play Paranoid Android. However, is that not a good idea? Is it too complex a song to come through acoustically or be understood on the first listen? Thoughts, gang.

I say go for it, although I'm not familiar enough with a) the song; or b) guitar playing. Sounds awesome, though. Good for you. :)

Alright, I'll throw this one at you, Rough Squad:

Later this week, I have to perform an acoustic song in school (long story, but it is by choice). Anyway, I'm currently thinking that I'll play Paranoid Android. However, is that not a good idea? Is it too complex a song to come through acoustically or be understood on the first listen? Thoughts, gang.

If you are confident that you can pull it off, then go for it.

I can pull it off pretty well, though the slow part is tough to do unless I sing really loud, which I may or may not do.

Also, this performance may be filmed. If it is, I'll attempt to get it on the 'Tube for the folks back home. And here, too.

Remember when we started that Radiohead song survivor thing a few years ago? What ever happened to that? I'm dying to find out what a group of 15 or so people on Interference think is the best Radiohead song.

Remember when we started that Radiohead song survivor thing a few years ago? What ever happened to that? I'm dying to find out what a group of 15 or so people on Interference think is the best Radiohead song.

namkcur disapears for long periods of time and nothing gets done. :down:

I was just thinking the other day of finishing it myself at this rate.

An R.E.M. survivor would be awesome. And I think there's a lot of fans of the band around here so it would get a good amount of participation. I was lobbying for one back when we did the Led Zeppelin survivor. Speaking of which, our old friend LemonMelon did a hell of a job running the Zeppelin one...not that I'm trying to suck up in a pathetic attempt to persuade him to run an R.E.M. survivor or anything. :D

I guess I don't get the fascination with the Survivor shit. I participated in the Beatles one, don't even remember what won.

I'd rather make cock jokes and talk shit to NSW.

The Bowie survivor failed because I could not organize his B-sides and rarities into their proper time periods for the voting.

I wanted it to be like every other survivor, but then a few people insisted we had to do it some other way, and it ended up being bastardized anyway. That was frustrating, and I'm kind of glad we never got to the "final round," which would have 63 rounds or something absurd the way we did it (NCAA Tourney style).

I was very vocal about there being too big a pool of songs for the Radiohead thing, and too much weight given to b-sides.

This is what happens when you stretch something out this long. People don't give a shit anymore, even the ones who are running it.

A little more sanity would help next time, and I think a preliminary round of choosing a few songs to compete from each album would help the endless agony of having to sit through round after meaningless round (isn't this what we did with Bowie?). Do we really need to know if West of the Fields gets eliminated before 9-9 off Murmur? No. What we do know is that neither is going to have any chance in hell of moving on.

The Bowie tournament was set up to be twice as long. It had essentially a normal survivor preliminary (choose the best from each album kind of thing), but, instead of one final round at the end, it had a 64-song tournament set up like March Madness. This was all structured by other people who insisted they wouldn't endorse a Bowie survivor without a "different" style of survivor.

Oh, it was Screwtape. What a shocker. I eventually caved in because I really wanted to do it. This was about three months before I stopped listening to a word he said.

I guess I don't get the fascination with the Survivor shit. I participated in the Beatles one, don't even remember what won.

Yeah, I don't either honestly. I'm know I post a lot of crap others have no interest in as well, so who am I to complain.

Speaking of which, please allow me to host a bitch session about how music stores seem to want to fail. I went to the biggest "independent music store" chain here in Utah today to buy some new releases. 3 or 4 years ago, this store was beyond amazing, and I would have stated my undying devotion to it. Now, it's slowly showing that they're not doing well, and seem to be following the example of mall chain CD stores in regards to pricing and inventory.

Take todays examples: The Bon Iver Blood Bank EP was priced at $10. It's under 17 minutes of music....for $10. I can get it off of iTunes for $4.....they priced the CD at $10. Jagjaguwar, the label, have it listed as $7.50, which feels more reasonable. This store priced it for $10. The front of the cover has a huge sticker that says "4 NEW SONGS', they priced it at $10. To me, this pricing point does not seem to benefit a music store trying to make a living off of CDs in today's music industry.

Similarly, Andrew Bird's new album, Noble Beast, was priced at $10. Quite a good price for a nearly hour long new album (let me once again mention, they had the 16 minute Bon Iver EP at the same price), unfortunately, they had the "deluxe edition" priced at $25 (on sale). So what's supposed to be a "bonus disc" of instrumental music and different packaging is $15 to $20 extra (based on the sale)? Not sure how it's a "bonus" to fans to pay more than double the price of the album for an extra disc of instrumentals that he didn't want to release separately. To me, this pricing point does not seem to benefit a music store trying to make a living off of CDs in today's music industry.

The new Animal Collective album has a paper cover and is slightly a different size than standard "plastic cases". They still decided to shove it in one of those magnetic "can't take it from the store without an alarm going off" devices, thus bending the cover because it wouldnt fit correctly. As it's a fairly safe bet that it would be a considerable amount of effort for me to find this album at any other store in Utah, i pretty much have to buy a "brand new" album with a cover the store ruined themselves. To me, this type of callousness to their inventory does not seem to benefit a music store trying to make a living off of CDs in today's music industry.

One last complaint, the DeVotchKa album I purchased today had been opened by the store. While I realize it is a somewhat common practice for independent stores to open albums to play over the speakers, why are albums like that not priced at "discounts" when for all intents and purposes, it IS now a "used" CD. Why would they instead put it back in one of the store security devices to make it appear as if it was never opened, and then put it directly into your bag without telling you it had been a "display" copy? Every other type of store I know of would sell a "display model" at a discounted price, why is that not a practice a store selling both new and used CDs would also employ? To me, this type of callousness to their inventory does not seem to benefit a music store trying to make a living off of CDs in today's music industry.

In short, the music industry all around seems to almost WANT people to stop paying for their medium. Labels twist the arms of distributors to raise prices and they give the artists less return for sales. The distributors then sell the items for an even higher price, and hand something over to you that is used or damaged before you even had a chance to open it. None of these practices benefit the consumer or music fan, nor do they benefit the artists who are trying to make a living by creating music. It's frustrating to see something you love completely raped by idiots who want to make an extra nickel on every SKU.

Quite the opposite, it's just sad to see an industry that's so unwilling to cope with the actual situation they've found themselves in instead of exacerbate the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom