Interference Random Music Talk Part II: The Wrath of Khan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. :drool:

When the new single first leaked, I heard it and thought it was great.
I came here and read the thread about it, people were down on it, so I remembered why I rarely venture into these waters anymore.

Why, because we dislike things sometimes? I love the Verve, but Love Is Noise does nothing for me. :shrug:

Cori I'm anxiously awaiting your impressions of the new ALOUD single.

Also, did you know that Call The Shots won like 100 different awards for best British pop single of the year?

And, in the most important random news of the day, Girls Aloud have released their newest single entitled 'The Promise'

It sounds like nothing they've done before (big shocker! those crazy girls) and it is fucking brilliant.

Here it is!...

YouTube - GIRLS ALOUD - THE PROMISE - High Quality

:drool:

Well...
It sound a bit like an old-school girl group. But I can't say I'm that impressed...
:|

And oh, the YouTube thing had no video. :(

Why, because we dislike things sometimes? I love the Verve, but Love Is Noise does nothing for me. :shrug:

No, I don't have a problem with disagreeable opinions at all, it's the attitudes that often accompany it. It's my snobbery vs their snobbery. :wink:

That song 'Love Is Noise' was not the point. It was the oh-so-typical reaction.

I saw Goldfrapp last night, 3rd row center. Unbelievable show, she has an amazing voice :drool:

I am jealous.

I'm going to see them next week, :heart:

I enjoy Kings of Leon right up until the moment their lead singer starts to sing.

I am jealous.

I don't even like the parts leading up to him singing. :wink:

I seriously don't get how she's attractive at all; to me she's just ugly and has a voice to match...

Are you sure you're not confusing her with someone else, as your opinion on this is blowing my mind.

I've been working on my annual Halloween playlist. As of right now, I have 84 songs (6.3 hours of music). So far it consists of tracks by The Cure (massive amounts, as always), Bauhaus, Joy Division, AFI, The Misfits, Tiger Army, Sisters of Mercy, Alkaline Trio, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, Rob Zombie, The Mission UK, Bat For Lashes, Son of Sam, Dead Can Dance, Echo and the Bunnymen, Portishead, The Knife, Ladytron, and surprisingly one from each that fit by Amon Tobin and Future Sounds of London. Any recommendations? I friggin' love this time of the year.

Frank Zappa - Gobblin Girl = Halloween

I only found out today that Lindsey Buckingham has a new album out :love:

Beck at the Hollywood Bowl tonight:

You know, if Radiohead ever opened with Creep these days I think I'd throw up in my mouth a little. So Beck can't really open with Loser and get away with it, and I'm not even sure that he even did it for ironic purposes.

It's hard to separate Beck's Scientologist leanings from his music, and instead of being cynical and ironic WITH him it puts one more at a distance and feeling cynical TOWARDS him. Or maybe it's just me. At one point between the songs he said "People of Los Angeles, I'd like to ask you a question..." and I turned to my friend and said "...would you like to take a free personality test?"

Anyway, not a bad show, and it's not that the recent albums are bad or anything, but they really fail to give me a musical stiffie in the way that Odelay or Midnite Vultures did, or contain the broken, majestic beauty of Sea Change and Mutations. It kind of sounds like he's rehashing himself, instead of rehashing old genres.

His father, Mike Campbell, came out to conduct the L.A. Philharmonic on a set of songs, which was pretty cool as he dug into the Sea Change material. And there was a spattering of old hits like Devil's Haircut, Where It's At, etc. But the Midnite Vultures songs were kind of de-hip hopped and countrified and failed to please, and the stuff from Guero (the "title" song a pale imitation of Where It's At), The Information, and Modern Guilt was decent but forgettable. Cool light show, though.

Spoon opened and didn't really have a long enough set to stretch things out. I swear they didn't play anything earlier than Kill the Moonlight, which was kind of lame. It was good to hear the Ga Ga Ga songs but I was hoping for more diversity. I don't think they're a big venue type of band, either.

I wasn't very impressed with MGMT, especially after hearing about how awesome they were from a bunch of people.

Of course, 3 days after that Nick Cave show at the Bowl it's hard to be impressed by much.

You know, if Radiohead ever opened with Creep these days I think I'd throw up in my mouth a little. So Beck can't really open with Loser and get away with it, and I'm not even sure that he even did it for ironic purposes.

Loser >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Creep. One is a highlight of the artist's career, another is enjoyably forgettable.

I'm sorry the concert was relatively mediocre though. The idea of Spoon and Beck playing at the same gig blows my mind.

I wasn't very impressed with MGMT, especially after hearing about how awesome they were from a bunch of people.

I saw them open for Of Montreal last year, I was far from impressed as well. Meh. Time to Pretend is a good song, but that's about the nicest thing I can say about them.

Loser >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Creep. One is a highlight of the artist's career, another is enjoyably forgettable.

I'm sorry the concert was relatively mediocre though. The idea of Spoon and Beck playing at the same gig blows my mind.

I don't know, I associate both songs with a bunch of frat boys singing along; as something that appeals to a much wider range of people than the normal fanbase. And for the record, I was never a fan of Loser anyway. I don't really care for Mellow Gold at all.

It just seemed cheap, like he was trying to win over all the tools right at the beginning of the show. And I can tell you, there were a lot of philistines in the audience last night, yelling out the stupidest shit imaginable.

I don't know if he plays it regularly or not, but do you think he played it first to get it out of the way?

REM did that on many of its shows on the Green tour - they played "Stand" first to get it out of the way, because they thought it was ridiculous.

I don't know, I associate both songs with a bunch of frat boys singing along; as something that appeals to a much wider range of people than the normal fanbase. And for the record, I was never a fan of Loser anyway. I don't really care for Mellow Gold at all.

It just seemed cheap, like he was trying to win over all the tools right at the beginning of the show. And I can tell you, there were a lot of philistines in the audience last night, yelling out the stupidest shit imaginable.

That's the difference between you and me; I place Mellow Gold up there with his very best work, and Loser is an extension of that, I suppose.

It's a shame that he slowed down the Midnite Vultures songs...when I saw him in '06, he rocked the shit out of them. The sound quality even suffered.

Update: My favorite song of the week is "My Mistakes Were Made for You" by The Last Shadow Puppets.

That is all.

My Morning Jacket last night at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles.

The only time I had seen MMJ before was at last year's Lollpalooza, which I couldn't really consider an official show, what with the abbreviated set length. Also, the band delivers a good old-fashioned ROCK CONCERT, with all the colored lights, smoke, posturing, and overall vibe that wasn't there during their daytime festival set.

I know this sounds cliche by now, but make no mistake about it: MMJ are the best live band in America. End of discussion. Don't even bother suggesting other bands.

These guys are capable of the most delicate moments of beauty and also the most skull-splitting sonic assaults. And Jim James possesses a stage presence that other notable live bands like Dave Matthews Band or Wilco just don't have in their lead singers (Pearl Jam does, but Vedder's not nearly as much fun). While there wasn't much stage banter, he said some things about communal music listening that was just about perfect. He seems like a guy who does not take his livelihood for granted in the slightest. And yet he can put on a cape and run around the stage like a vampire, having fun with the whole thing.

My only problem was that the band's early material was for the most part missing, with the exception of GREAT versions of The Way That He Sings and Phone Went West. As a huge fan of At Dawn, I was sad to not hear more, and there was nothing played from debut album The Tennessee Fire. In this respect, 7 songs from Z seemed a bit too much.

Most of the new album was played, and it sounded even better than it did on record. One notable omission was the raucous Aluminum Park, which apparently has been played at many other shows this tour.

Highlights for me included the longer jams, including I Will Sing You Songs, Run Thru, One Big Holiday (which really should close every show, if it doesn't already), and Dondante, as well as the aforementioned Phone Went West, which I think was the song that had the other guitarist deliver a VERY impressive sax solo. And one never tires of Mahgeetah and James's screams at the end of Wordless Chorus.

Setlist:

1. Evil Urges
2. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1
3. Off The Record
4. Anytime
5. I'm Amazed
6. The Way That He Sings
7. Two Halves
8. Thank You Too!
9. Sec Walkin
10. I Will Sing You Songs
11. What A Wonderful Man
12. Mahgeetah
13. Lay Low
14. Phone Went West
15. Gideon
16. Dondante
17. Librarian
18. Smokin' From Shootin
19. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
----------
20. Golden
21. Wordless Chorus
22. Highly Suspicious
23. Run Thru
24. One Big Holiday

I've been working on my annual Halloween playlist. As of right now, I have 84 songs (6.3 hours of music). So far it consists of tracks by The Cure (massive amounts, as always), Bauhaus, Joy Division, AFI, The Misfits, Tiger Army, Sisters of Mercy, Alkaline Trio, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, Rob Zombie, The Mission UK, Bat For Lashes, Son of Sam, Dead Can Dance, Echo and the Bunnymen, Portishead, The Knife, Ladytron, and surprisingly one from each that fit by Amon Tobin and Future Sounds of London. Any recommendations? I friggin' love this time of the year.

Tracy Jordan - Werewolf Bar Mitzvah. It's really all you need.

And laz, how fucking great is "Touch Me pt. 2" live? That whole suite with "Smokin From Shootin" is amazing. My MMJ show (documented in the Evil Urges thread) was by far one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I unfortunately haven't heard Touch Me pt. 2 live, but on record it's one of the best things I've heard all year. I fucking love that song. Evil Urges is probably still my favorite album of 2008.

Evil Urges is still it for me too. That's odd, considering it's received a lot of flack from critics and their die hard fan base. I've been a huge MMJ fan for some time, and while I don't necessarily agree that it's better than At Dawn or It Still Moves, it's firmly planted in my tops for 2008.

Although I'll admit Fleet Foxes is continually making ploys to usurp that spot, and a few more listens to Dear Science, might just shake up the entire order of things.

But yeah, "Touch Me pt. 2" is the song of the year for me. I really don't think anything else will come close to beating it. Especially after seeing it live, which sent the entire first fifteen rows into a dance frenzy.

Edit: Does anyone want to talk with me about how we both like Rabbit Habits?

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Evil Urges at all. It's the fucking falsetto, man. Back in the Z days, I thought it was an interesting novelty on songs like What A Wonderful Man, but it ends up sinking the album for me. Plus, he's writing songs about librarians now...I have no idea if that's clever or embarrassing.

My top 10 for the year so far:

1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
2. TV On The Radio - Dear Science
3. Beck - Modern Guilt
4. Hercules And Love Affair - Hercules And Love Affair
5. Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
6. The Roots - Rising Down
7. The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
8. Sun Kil Moon - April
9. M83 - Saturdays = Youth
10. Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul

There are still plenty of albums I have yet to listen to though.

Edit: Does anyone want to talk with me about how we both like Rabbit Habits?

Are we the only two people here who have even HEARD of Man Man?

I'm regretting not going to their show Friday night. My only excuse is that I saw them twice last year.

And I agree, though I think Evil Urges is a step up from Z (which had some great songs but was a bit too safe), it in no way scales the heights of At Dawn or It Still Moves.

I guess we are. A recent search revealed to me that this is the first time Man Man (well, this record at least) has been brought up in the history of Interland. What a travesty. It's a favorite for me, certainly cracking the year's top ten.

We're pioneers, lazzy. PIONEERS.

In any case, my consolation prize for skipping ACL this year is catching the Man Man/Okkervil River show at Emo's Saturday night. Holla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom