Interference Random Movie Talk X: Dogs and Cats Living Together... Mass Hysteria!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently one of my friends got to be an extra in Kick-Ass when he was going to school in London. Yeah, the movie looks awesome.

Not sure how I feel about the Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in Spidey 4 rumors.

That's cool. Movie should be a lot of fun.

Let's hope it's just a rumor. I thought they all learned their lessons from Spiderman 3. Let's hope they keep things simple this time around.

Yeah, Black Cat would have potential to be lame.

As for the bad guy, I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be The Lizard. Makes sense. He's kind of the original gangsta of Spiderman villains, right?

No Dark Tower For J.J. Abrams | /Film

Disappointing, yet maybe a good thing. This needs to be done as an animated television series. Only way it could work.

I've been thinking about checking out these books, though I heard the series finished pretty damned weak.

At any rate, I'm reading The Stand right now, as I've been told it's King's best. The writing is embarrassingly bad at times, but it's interesting, I guess. The only other thing I've read is Hearts in Atlantis, which was a lot better, at least from what I can say now.

Top 5 King Adaptations, you ask?

1. The Shining (Kubrick)
2. The Dead Zone (Cronenberg)
3. Hearts in Atlantis (Hicks)
4. The Shawshank Redemption (Darabont)
5. Dolores Claiborne (Hackford)

Always forget that The Dead Zone is King. Still need to see that.

Here's mine:

1. The Shining
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. Misery
4. It
5. Salem's Lot ('79)

I saw parts of It when it was on television. Always felt it was one of the "essential" King novels I should read, and never saw the whole thing.

Carrie is really good, but perhaps a bit overrated? Christine is as well, but it's one of my least favorite Carpenters. Pet Sematary was popular when it came out but I thought it was crap when I saw it in the theatre.

I haven't seen a lot of them, to be honest. If the director isn't noteworthy I usually don't bother. I've never seen Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Children of the Corn, Cujo, Apt Pupil. Was The Mist as bad as I read it was? The Green Mile was overblown pap.

I also have a soft spot for The Running Man, one of the more entertaining Arnold films, IMO.

I've been thinking about checking out these books, though I heard the series finished pretty damned weak.

At any rate, I'm reading The Stand right now, as I've been told it's King's best. The writing is embarrassingly bad at times, but it's interesting, I guess. The only other thing I've read is Hearts in Atlantis, which was a lot better, at least from what I can say now.

Top 5 King Adaptations, you ask?

1. The Shining (Kubrick)
2. The Dead Zone (Cronenberg)
3. Hearts in Atlantis (Hicks)
4. The Shawshank Redemption (Darabont)
5. Dolores Claiborne (Hackford)

King writing really can be pretty bad a lot of the time, but I give him credit for his talent in writing really believable characters and fascinating horror/fantasy scenarios and stories in the pulpiest of ways. The Stand is widely considered is best, for some reason, but I couldn't even finish it to be honest. Weak shit.

The Shining is a good piece of genre writing though, and The Dark Tower is easily the best King gets, both in terms of craft and imagination. Books 2-4 of the series are easily his best-written and more compelling. And I wouldn't say the series ends weakly at all, though it does go a bit off the rails. Let's just say, being a huge fan of the first 4 books, I was really satisfied with the final one (5 and 6 are admitedly the weakest, even though there's still a lot to love in book 5). So maybe you'd want to give it a go, or maybe not. Either way, despite their obnoxious length they're still extremely quick reads.

Adaptations?

1. The Shining
2. The Dead Zone
3. Shawshank
4. Misery
5. It

Yeah, not too much different from you guys' two lists.

I haven't seen a lot of them, to be honest. If the director isn't noteworthy I usually don't bother. I've never seen Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Children of the Corn, Cujo, Apt Pupil. Was The Mist as bad as I read it was? The Green Mile was overblown pap.

I also have a soft spot for The Running Man, one of the more entertaining Arnold films, IMO.

The Mist is atrocious.

The Running Man is still enjoyable to this day, in all its campy majesty.

I'll make a King list, but haven't seen quite a few.

The Shining
The Dead Zone
Misery
Carrie
Christine

I found most of the adaptations disappointing, except for Shining and Dead Zone. But that's probably common seeing a film after reading the book. Never read Misery. I liked Carrie, Piper Laurie has a great turn as her religious mom.

And on a random note, I saw in the paper today The Wild Bunch turned 40. Peckinpah's masterpiece. I've seen mention here of Pat Garrett & Billy, but with all due respect to Kristofferson, James Coburn.... the Wild Bunch is another level. Holden, Borgnine, Oates, Johnson, Hopkins, Ryan, Strother Martin all turn in great performances. Bo Hopkins brief turn at the beginning as Crazy Lee during a botched bank robbery is unforgettable. The film was pretty much killed in reviews when it came out. Probably the over the top violence. I guess now it would be considered trend setting.

I'd recommend it highly.

I do prefer Pat Garrett to The Wild Bunch, but I'm not about to make the argument it's either a better-crafted or more important film by any means.

The Shining is probably my favorite King book I've read behind The Dark Tower, and yet still prefer Kubrick's adaptation. Such is the power of Stanley.

I saw parts of It when it was on television. Always felt it was one of the "essential" King novels I should read, and never saw the whole thing.

Carrie is really good, but perhaps a bit overrated? Christine is as well, but it's one of my least favorite Carpenters. Pet Sematary was popular when it came out but I thought it was crap when I saw it in the theatre.

Yeah, agreed on Carrie. Christine is one of the few Carpenter films I've yet to see. Both Pet Sematarys are awful, the second one in particular.

Apt Pupil is directed by Bryan Singer and has Sir Ian in it, if I'm not mistaken. Both Salem's Lots are entertaining, as far as King miniseries go; plus, it has James Mason.

Haven't seen The Green Mile or The Mist, and have heard mixed opinions about both.

The Running Man is a blast, probably one of my favorite Arnold movies, too, besides Total Recall, Predator, T2, and Commando.

The 2-Disc edition of Pat Garrett is 5 bucks on Amazon right now, by the way. Haven't seen it, but at that price, I was thinking about getting it.

I'd have to get a couple of other movies to get the free shipping over $25 though.

I'll do it, but most likely closer to Christmas time.

I'd have to get a couple of other movies to get the free shipping over $25 though.

I'll do it, but most likely closer to Christmas time.

A fair plan.

Blu-ray Review: Watchmen

Sounds good to me. Glad they include the motion comic as well. Only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is apparently the lack of the Director's Cut included. No reason they couldn't put both on here and make them selectable via branching. That said, I'll probably end up getting this one in the end anyway, despite my initial trepidation regarding the Tale of the Black Freighter material.

I've said this before, but I feel even more strongly about it after seeing the Black Freighter: Cutting this material into the film will NOT WORK. There's a difference between putting images from one comic story inside another comic, and going between live action and animation in a narrative film.

I only have interest in getting the Director's Cut.

Laz, I started watching Eden of the East again after our exchange the other day. It's really good. Definitely check it out. Only 11 episodes too. Nice and brief.

I'm through three of them, started when you first mentioned it. It's pretty cool. The girl is lame and anime-cliche, though.

I prefer Monster from a story perspective, if not the actual imagery. Obviously that one's taking a lot more time to flesh itself out, as it runs about 72 episodes.

You really should get ahold of it; I found a torrent that had them all collected as files, about 170 megs per.

I'll definitely do so.

I just got through episode 7 of Eden, and the plot has really begun to reveal itself as something more interesting than you'd expect, though with only a few remaining, I'm not prepared for any real conclusion. I'm sure that's what the two feature films are for after all.

Yeah, neither of these shows are out on DVD yet.

However, Sci-Fi is showing 2 episodes of Monster back-to-back every Monday night, if I'm not mistaken, with repeats on their sister channel, I forget what it's called..."Chill", maybe? I'm trying to catch up with the ones I downloaded so I can start watching them on TV, because on Sci-Fi they're dubbed in English, whereas the ones I have are in Japanese. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but the show is set in Germany and only has ONE Japanese character. So it's a little weird.

Have you listened to any of the English dubs for that one yet? From what I've seen from them Madhouse usually gets decent dubs for their properties.

A fair plan.

Blu-ray Review: Watchmen

Sounds good to me. Glad they include the motion comic as well. Only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is apparently the lack of the Director's Cut included. No reason they couldn't put both on here and make them selectable via branching. That said, I'll probably end up getting this one in the end anyway, despite my initial trepidation regarding the Tale of the Black Freighter material.

$$$

The Director's Cut Blu is the only one that has the Maximum-Movie Mode commentary, too, if you want to see Snyder tell you how awesome it was the make the movie.

Like Laz, I don't think the Black Freighter addition will work.

$$$

The Director's Cut Blu is the only one that has the Maximum-Movie Mode commentary, too, if you want to see Snyder tell you how awesome it was the make the movie.

Like Laz, I don't think the Black Freighter addition will work.

The less I have to see of Snyder the better.

I'm really disappointed the two cuts are mutually exclusive on home video. Really grinds my gears. I think I'll give the Ultimate Edition a torrent before I decide which one to make my BD purchase.

Have you listened to any of the English dubs for that one yet? From what I've seen from them Madhouse usually gets decent dubs for their properties.

Yeah, I happened to be around the night they premiered the first two. I missed the next week, and that's when I hunted the rest down online.

They sounded pretty good to me.

I really haven't seen much TV anime, to be honest. Aside from Robotech (the original series), Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis: Evangelion, and some weird little one called Lain from the 90's that totally freaked me out. Also the first season of Baccano and that Mushi-Shi thing that I think you recommended.

Yeah, I happened to be around the night they premiered the first two. I missed the next week, and that's when I hunted the rest down online.

They sounded pretty good to me.

Good to hear. I'll definitely DL them when I go home for Thanksgiving and get some bandwidth back. Actually, now that I think of it, I should probably take that opportunity to DL a whole bunch of shit to last me a while. I wonder if anyone has uploaded the show with the dubs? I really hate switching from one spoken language to another in the middle of a series.

laz said:
I really haven't seen much TV anime, to be honest. Aside from Robotech (the original series), Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis: Evangelion, and some weird little one called Lain from the 90's that totally freaked me out. Also the first season of Baccano and that Mushi-Shi thing that I think you recommended.

I nearly posted a "You haven't even seen Cowboy Bebop!?!?" response, when I realized you did in fact list it. My reading abilities are failing me a lot lately. I blame all the cold medicine.

Wasn't me that recommended Mushishi, though I've heard great things about it.

I hope you've watched The End of Evangelion then in that case? I'm interested in checking out the "rebuild" feature film thing they're doing with that now. I think the first of the films is already out there.

The less I have to see of Snyder the better.

I'm really disappointed the two cuts are mutually exclusive on home video. Really grinds my gears. I think I'll give the Ultimate Edition a torrent before I decide which one to make my BD purchase.

But it's going to be AWESOME. Look at how the far the bone goes out of that guy's arm!

Good call. The Ultimate Cut's out there now, not sure if the BDrip is though.

I don't need to watch it in HD for preview purposes. I'll give it a DL along with all the other stuff when I'm home in a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom