How to Get Into the Ellipse -- U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
How to Get Into the Ellipse

Because some of you are still confused about how to get into the Ellipse we have added a new sub site with the Facts ...

North American Vertigo 2005 GA Door Entrance Procedure

1) Only one designated entry point (set of doors) will be assigned for the General Admission ticket holders to enter the building. All reserve seat ticket holders will be directed to the other entry points to the building

2) No line ups will be permitted prior to 9:00 am the day of the show.

3) All General Admission ticket holders will be asked to form two lines at this entry point:
a. U2.Com Presale floor Ticket purchasers
b. General Public Floor Ticket Purchasers

Please note:
On shows that had an U2.Com presale, the tickets for each of the U2.Com members is identifiable by a code of their ticket. As a result of this code, each U2.Com member who purchased a presale ticket will be able to enter the venue from the U2.Com line. For the shows that did not have an U2.Com presale (usually the second show in a city), U2.Com members will be asked to SHOW A PRINTOUT OF THEIR MEMBERSHIP PROFILE, WHICH CAN BE FOUND UNDER MY PROFILE ON THE MAIN MENU BAR OF THE SUBSCRIPBERS HOME PAGE.

4) Wrist banding and Ellipse Entry process

a. ON entry, Venue staff will conduct a body search and ticket scan.

b. All floor ticket holders will then be directed past a wrist-banding table where their ticket will be marked and they will have a non-transferable general floor wristband placed on their wrist.

c. Every ticket holder will then continue along the tables to a computer scanner that will, using a random numerical process, select tickets for entry to the Ellipse

d. Each ticket selected for the Ellipse will enable both the ticket holder and a companion accompanying them into the Ellipse.

e. Each selected ticket and ticket of their companion will be hole-punched upon selection and they will be directed to the Ellipse wrist-banding table where they will receive a second non-transferable wristband permitting entry to the Ellipse.

f. Those not selected will be instructed to proceed to the floor AREA. g. Random selection will continue from the full capacity of the floor until the ellipse capacity is reached. From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone, u2.Com members and general public alike, will have an fair opportunity to be selected to enter the Ellipse

h. The wristbands will provide re-entry privileges to their respective areas.

5) A tour supervisor will be available to brief the staff and answer any questions.

--U2.com

dsmith2904 said:
How to Get Into the Ellipse

b. All floor ticket holders will then be directed past a wrist-banding table where their ticket will be marked and they will have a non-transferable general floor wristband placed on their wrist.

c. Every ticket holder will then continue along the tables to a computer scanner that will, using a random numerical process, select tickets for entry to the Ellipse

d. Each ticket selected for the Ellipse will enable both the ticket holder and a companion accompanying them into the Ellipse.

e. Each selected ticket and ticket of their companion will be hole-punched upon selection and they will be directed to the Ellipse wrist-banding table where they will receive a second non-transferable wristband permitting entry to the Ellipse.

f. Those not selected will be instructed to proceed to the floor AREA. g. Random selection will continue from the full capacity of the floor until the ellipse capacity is reached. From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone, u2.Com members and general public alike, will have an fair opportunity to be selected to enter the Ellipse

h. The wristbands will provide re-entry privileges to their respective areas.

5) A tour supervisor will be available to brief the staff and answer any questions.

--U2.com

Quite curious why none of this happened for SD1????????

There was no tables with a laptop; no direction. All I saw was the part on and wasn't aware of even a lottery for the bomb shelter until I saw postings around days later...

Of course U2.com refuses to answer me on this (figures)...

:madspit:

This did all happen for SD1 as I was there and got one of the Bomb Shelter wristbands....... were you GA? If you were seated then the Bonb Shelter did not aply to you.

Was not seated, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the concern!

Again when coming thru the line about 7:30 and none of that was happening. Trust me no laptop was to be found (plus since unaware for opening nites to even be looking for such a device), nor staff directing the people coming in to such a laptop to be scanned. The only scanning was the little hand units that validated the ticket itself.

So again maybe they cut it off due to overload a press for opening nites?

Or can just think some other hi-jinx was going on...including the laptop person was out taking a cigarette break

:(

if you showed up at 7:30 pm then they had probably given out all the ellipse wristbands by then

Chizip said:
if you showed up at 7:30 pm then they had probably given out all the ellipse wristbands by then

1) "I showed up" much earlier but with sold out parking by even before 7p and turned away from the entrance. I ended up walking about 1/4 mile away from the venue. Then MISDIRECTION by security of which entrance to enter thru and waited in the wrong line for about 15 minutes until someone in that line said they heard GA was a particular entrance, which happened to tbe on the opposite side of where I was presently located and on and on. So more accurately I made it through the doors at about 7:30p. MUCH different than above implying from the above that I just showed up then. ;)

2) I've seen other postings that people arrived MUCH later (I can locate & post of the posts stating this if you like) than I did and even the START time of the openner and were scanned in by the laptop and got into the bomb shelter!!!

Also if random and just a 1/5th of the people at the venue (there was hardly anyone still there when KOL was starting up) it would seem more wristbands should have been still been available??? This of course unless like some hi-jinx like what I witnessed at LA1-2 where some Staples officials had the bomb shelter wristbands. Then were passing them to their friends (I witnessed one giving them for at least 5+ friends and their children since they originally had seats by instead of GA tickets).

Also with no indication to be any earlier for such a lottery!

Hence the 'cornfusion'...

GA Admission, European Shows

For the European shows, there is a different entrance procedure to that for the indoor venues in North America.

As each venue is different, some of the new procedures are still being 'tested.'

Here's what we know so far:

The elipse is not an enclosed area in the European stadiums. It is part of a more general barricaded area at the front of the floor. This front area has a full capacity of around 4,000 people.

There is no selection process to get inside this front barricaded area. Entrance is on a first-come, first-served basis.

There is no queuing permitted ouside the before nine am on the morning of the show.

There will be re-entry allowed into this area for those who get in - so that people can buy drinks, go to the bathroom etc. Re-entry will be through a stamping system or, in some cases, a writstband system.

The vibe on the floor should be especially brilliant because most of the GA ticketholders are U2.Com Subscribers like yourselves! We'll keep you updated!

(from U2.com)

Okay, this is probably a dumb question that will annoy the long-time faithful U2 fans, but I'm a newbie here, and am just now REALLY getting into the band (been a fan for a few years but my interest in them has really escalated the past few months!)... I actually didn't even realize they were on tour until last week (I know, I know... Don't throw anything at me, please!!). Anyway, I discovered the wonderful fact when I saw pictures from a concert on the webshots home page last Thursday... I hurried to U2's web site and saw that nearly every show was sold out, but google had a few links for ticket purchases, so I bought a couple of tickets for the 2nd Vegas show in November.

Now, since I've just sort of dived into this unaware, I've been trying to figure out exactly what this ellipse thing is. Is it an area around the stage from which the lucky winners get to enjoy the concert? And my other question is, are ALL ticket holders eligible or is it ONLY GA ticket holders who may enter the "lottery"? I have upper level seats (behind the stage, slightly disappointing but I'll take what I can get!)--Does that mean I won't be eligible for the ellipse? I've been trying to scrounge up the answers but haven't had any luck so far--Maybe this is an exclusive bonus offer for U2.com subscribers?? Any help with clarification on the whole thing would be appreciated. :) Thank you much...

Oh one other thing... The pics I saw on webshots were taken partly outside the venue when the band was arriving, and Bono came out to greet the fans and sign autographs. Is this something that happens at every show and is just dependent on concert-goers being there early enough to see them arrive, or are some sort of backstage-type passes required for that?? I would so love to meet Bono--I am amazed and inspired by the work he has done for people in Africa and would be so thrilled for an opportunity to thank him!

All right, enough said for me. Thanks for the help!!

For the Dublin concerts in Croke Park : The first 5000 people in GA will be allowed in the Ellipse .

kaysidawn said:
Is it an area around the stage from which the lucky winners get to enjoy the concert? And my other question is, are ALL ticket holders eligible or is it ONLY GA ticket holders who may enter the "lottery"? I have upper level seats (behind the stage, slightly disappointing but I'll take what I can get!)--Does that mean I won't be eligible for the ellipse?

Its the enclosed part of the stage at the fron of the floor.

Only GA tickets are eligible for the lottery, so you tickets are not eligible.

Dont be too upset, U2 is great show even from the rafters behind the stage.

kaysidawn said:
...and Bono came out to greet the fans and sign autographs. Is this something that happens at every show and is just dependent on concert-goers being there early enough to see them arrive, or are some sort of backstage-type passes required for that??

Bono came out quite a bit this tour on the first leg. It was usually between 2-4pm before the show. there is no gurantee for time and/or place he will come out. Its kind of hit or miss.

I met Bono and Edge about 45 mins. after a show. I have heard they only do this when they are not playing the next night. this is just my experience and certanily not a rule.

Can you get away with bringing in a small digital camera to GA? Above it said prior to be allowing in they will conduct a "body search." How far does this go?

Last edited:
suz4u2 said:
Can you get away with bringing in a small digital camera to GA? Above it said prior to be allowing in they will conduct a "body search." How far does this go?

Depends on the venue really. Camera phones are allowed, those disposable cameras are allowed, and small digital cameras have been allowed at most of the shows. They discourage big lenses. Body search? That's a joke....and again, depends on the security company the venue employs. The smaller the camera, the easier to conceal and sneak in......everyone should know that!

I'm just scared that if I bring a digital camera once standing in lines for hours and hours for GA at Bradley Center, they may send me back to the car to get rid of it or take it away. What chance is there that it could happen?

suz4u2 said:
I'm just scared that if I bring a digital camera once standing in lines for hours and hours for GA at Bradley Center, they may send me back to the car to get rid of it or take it away. What chance is there that it could happen?

no, they allowed digital cameras. at least in boston they did as long as it wasn't a 'professional' camera.

Yes, in all the shows I've gone to, they've allowed digitals.

I'll be at the bradley show also!

Hello,

Have GA tix via u2.com presale for Pittsburgh on 10/22.

Question which I seem to see conflicting info on:
Is it true that since I wont be getting to the show until around 7:30 - 8:00 I will have less of a chance getting into the ellipse since many of the GA wristbands would have already been distributed?

Or since these tickets were purchased via u2.com that I still have a (random) chance of getting in the ellipse eventhough I can't make it to the venue until after the doors open.

Thanks,
Spudly

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom