Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe this song is about being a rock star and how the stardom can hold you and thrill you and then ultimitely kill you. i.e. Jim Morrison, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin. Rock stars who died at a young age. This refers to the line, "they want you to be Jesus and go down on one knee, but they want their money back if your alive at 33." Also, the lines "headache in a suitcase" and "of course your not shy, it takes a crowd to cry" all refer to the lifestyle of a traveling exposed rock and roll star. U2 also wrote this song right after their enormous success with Achtung Baby and Zoo Tour so they were probably feeling these pressures especially Bono.
Hope this helps.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

That helps out so much! Thank you. I never thought of the song like that. What do you make of the line, "turning tricks with your crucifix" ? This line has always interested me.

perhaps its to do with U2's 80s persona in the media as reverent rockstars...eg the christian angle was almost a part of their attraction...i think the hmtmkmkm video helps alot in understanding these lyrics...

I just love, somewhere ther was like the online Church of Bono or something and they had the 'Ten Commandments' there somewhere, and of course one of them was...
"Thou shalt not Hold, Thrill, Kiss or Kill"

Sorry. It made me laugh.

I always thought the stanza "oh won't you turn to Jesus and go down on one knee/they want their money back if you're alive at 33" referred to the fact that if people see hypocrisy in the life of a Christian that they will be turned off by it and not want anything more to do with it. If you don't live and die exactly Christ (he is believed to have been around 33 when He was crucified) people will lose interest. Thats what I always took that part of the song to be about as well as the whole dressing like a tart referring to MacPhisto.

Back
Top Bottom