Hits Daily Double WEEK 2 watch...#1 again ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If someone could post a link to the Hits Building chart that would be great. I am not allowed to post a link until after 15 posts.

CHART PREVIEW: JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK MASH THE COMPETITION

Metal-Hop Mash-Up to Be Top Debut; Nas, T.I. and Kelly Clarkson Also Come on Strong

December 6, 2004

As the tallying of retail reports continues this morning, Jay-Z and Linkin Park’s mash-up album, Collision Course (Warner Bros.), remains on track to be this week’s top chart debut, with all signs pointing to sales of 350k through Sunday.
That’ll be good for a solid #2 on the chart, given that U2’s momentum following their 839k first week for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Interscope) will likely keep the top slot out of reach for all comers.

Also making their chart debuts with some strong numbers are Nas, whose Street Disciple (Columbia) appears to have moved upwards of 250k in its first week; T.I., whose Urban Legend (Atlantic) looks like it will debut with a first-week total of around 200k; and Kelly Clarkson, whose Breakaway (RCA) should also come on the chart with a first week of about 200k.

Meanwhile, Josh Groban’s Live at the Greek (Warner Bros.) and Gerald Levert’s Do I Speak for the World (Atlantic) are also due to chart, with first-week totals looking like 90k-95k.

Major albums hitting the street tomorrow include Ludacris’ Red Light District (Def Jam South/IDJ), which initial retail guestimates give a shot at 400k, and Lindsay Lohan’s Speak (Casablanca/Universal), which pundits say could do 200k, plus new albums from Cam’ron (Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam), Mario (J/RMG) and American Idol finalist Diana DeGarmo (RCA).

A second week at #1 seems like a guarantee, but next week can only be put in the "maybe" column.

OK, so the first results are in. With 11.56% counted, this is the Top 5:

-- 1 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK COLLISION COURSE 33,366
2 2 EMINEM ENCORE 32,118
1 3 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 25,310
-- 4 T.I. URBAN LEGEND 23,326
-- 5 NAS STREET'S DISCIPLE 22,129

No worries, anything can happen.

I hope...

:D

Marty

14.8 % Reporting

LW
TW
artist / album
label
power index

--
JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK
WARNER BROS.

COLLISION COURSE

U2
INTERSCOPE

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

EMINEM
SHADY/INTERSCOPE

ENCORE

--
T.I.
ATLANTIC/ATL G

URBAN LEGEND

--
NAS
COLUMBIA/CRG

STREET'S DISCIPLE

Only 300 behind. Go U2 go!!!!

And we're back at the top again. :cool:

With 16.88% counted:
1 1 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 46,655
-- 2 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK COLLISION COURSE 44,509
2 3 EMINEM ENCORE 37,753
-- 4 NAS STREET'S DISCIPLE 29,044
-- 5 T.I. URBAN LEGEND 26,268

I agree, the gap has become significantly larger, with U2 outselling Jay-Z/LP by nearly 16,000 copies.

However, at the 11% reported values, U2 was #3.

This proves that early assumptions aren't valid (listening FOX?).

Even though it is early, it still looks like U2 will sell aroun d300,000 copies, which is a big drop. I was hoping for more like 400,000 copies, but I guess this past week was even slower than I thought.

The good news is that from here on out, sales will increase. U2 will probably fall from #1 next week, but hopefully they can stay in the Top 10 throughout the holidays. This will be a nice contrast to ATYCLB which spent 2 scant weeks in the Top 10 before falling out (even though early sales remained strong).

1 1 U2 INTERSCOPE 62,286
-- 2 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 46,813
COLLISION COURSE
2 3 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 41,732

20.70%

Check out the Hits Cartoon!

The HDD cartoon is pretty funny. The hits list or whatever it's called is pretty harsh with the i-pod thing. It's all funny, but music is a business, and things have changed so much so fast in the last 10-12 years or more...they better get with the times.

Last edited:
Last week at 26% HTDAAB had sold near 155K; it seems it remains around at the half of the first week, that means a total near at 400K. Enough for the # 1?

would think it would be enough for number 1........ i know we shouldnt count chickens... buts there is alread a bit of a gap opening up

KUEFC09U2 said:
How many did ATYCLB sell in its second week??

Here are U2's U.S. chart positions for ATYLCB for the first 19 weeks on the charts (each line represents 10 weeks):

3-5-12-22-23-24-20-18-22-16
19-19-25-33-37-35-11-15-25

Sales for those weeks (rounded to nearest thousand):

428,000 + 176,000 + 119,000 + 125,000 + 100,000 + 113,000
+ 154,000 + 259,000 + 108,000 + 66,000 + 59,000 + 57,000
+ 47,000 + 44,000 + 41,000 + 49,000 + 85,000 + 74,000 + 55,000

As you can see, ATYCLB had a 59% drop in sales for week 2. If HTDAAB follows a similar pattern, a 60% decrease from 839,000 copies (per Hits) would be a little over 335,000 copies, which is what the early data suggests will happen.

The good news is that ATYCLB was able to sell over 100,000 copies for 9 consecutive weeks until after the holiday season was over. The week before Christmas, the album sold an amazing 259,000 copies - its second highest weekly sum. Barring an unforeseen event, I would imagine the same pattern will hold true for HTDAAB. The difference is that we'll have 3 less weeks of sales prior to Christmas - of course, that is negated by the larger sales for HTDAAB. By the time the holidays were over, ATYCLB sold 1.58M copies to actual consumers in the U.S. With 840,000 copies sold in the debut week, HTDAAB is more than half way there - in just one week! :D

Last edited:
We've got a lead of 16,000 with nearly 21% of the precincts reporting...here's hoping. It looks like the album will come in at around 300,000ish.

Except Hits Magazine is reporting the following now:

BOMB DROPS IN SECOND WEEK: As remarkable as it might seem after its impressive 839k first-week in sales, U2's Interscope album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb will be "one and done" after a single week at #1. With predicted sales in the 350k range, Jay-Z/Linkin Park's Warner Bros. mash-up collaboration Collision Course will "easily" nab the top slot this week after weekend returns from retailers. That would mean a drop of more than 60% for U2, not quite unusual given the tremendous first-week numbers, but significant nonetheless. (12/6p)

1 1 U2 INTERSCOPE 69,485
-- 2 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 50,614
COLLISION COURSE
2 3 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 44,142
ENCORE

22.15%

ladywithspinninghead said:
Except Hits Magazine is reporting the following now:

BOMB DROPS IN SECOND WEEK: As remarkable as it might seem after its impressive 839k first-week in sales, U2's Interscope album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb will be "one and done" after a single week at #1. With predicted sales in the 350k range, Jay-Z/Linkin Park's Warner Bros. mash-up collaboration Collision Course will "easily" nab the top slot this week after weekend returns from retailers. That would mean a drop of more than 60% for U2, not quite unusual given the tremendous first-week numbers, but significant nonetheless. (12/6p)

well they have some ground to gain

Another quip from Hits:
As the tallying of retail reports continues this morning, Jay-Z and Linkin Park’s mash-up album, Collision Course (Warner Bros.), remains on track not only to be this week’s top chart debut, with all signs pointing to sales of 350k through Sunday, but #1 overall.
With U2 likely falling off more than 60% from last week's chart-topping total of 839k for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Interscope), the Jay-Z/Linkin Park collab seems set on a Collision Course for the #1 spot on tomorrow's chart.

It'll still be a close call - and we might actually have to wait until Thursday's Billboard charts to see if SoundScan agrees on who is #1 for the week.

I was hoping U2 would hold on to the top, but given how ATYCLB had a huge drop, this isn't surprising. Still, for U2 to lose out on some remixed collaboration is pathetic. Just what are these kids listening to? I bet if I made an album of me passing gas, then added a wicked beat and had someone pose as me that looked "cool", I'd make a fortune.

still confident it will remain at number 1, but anyway.. still a MASSIVE improvement on ATYCLB

Even if HTDAAB drops to #2, keep in mind the overall goal. Being #1 for a week or two is great - but it's more bragging rights than anything else. "Zooropa" was #1 for 2 weeks (the only U2 album in the SoundScan era to hold the top spot for 2 weeks) and yet it only sold about 2.3M copies (in the U.S.).

In contrast, here are the chart positions for AB for an entire YEAR
after its debut. It debuted December 7, 1991 on the U.S.
BillBoard charts (each line represents 10 weeks):

1-3-4-4-7-4-7-6-6-6
9-9-8-9-12-12-12-10-7-7
12-13-10-13-11-11-11-17-17-21
18-21-25-30-28-35-39-43-40-26
23-29-30-28-30-34-47-42-37-39
44-45-44-52-50-49-46

Note that AB spent just one scant week on top of the charts (and this was after following the highly successful JT and R&H). Yet, it lingered in the Top 10 for 14 weeks! And after it fell out, it just bounced back in - twice (spending another 4 weeks in the Top 10).

This is what we are really looking for - chart positions in the upper echelon for months. That's what gets an album noticed.

There are plenty of movies and albums that debut with huge numbers. But if they fall fast thereafter, they are soon forgotten. After all, even the popular Clay Aiken debuted with over 600,000 copies sold - but only went on to sell about 2.3M total. ATYCLB is better remembered as the 4x Platinum selling album than for the fact that it didn't quite reach #1 in the U.S. If anything, the fact that it sold 4.2M copies in the U.S. despite not reaching #1 is all the more impressive!

Last edited:
Do I think HTDAAB has a chance of matching AB? No.

My point, though, was that even if HTDAAB drops to #2, it's not that bad. After all, look at AB - it spent only a week on top, yet it went on to be the second best selling album for U2.

That said, I do think that unlike ATYCLB, HTDAAB may be able to stay in the Top 10 through the holidays. Hope!

Of course, I'm still hoping U2 do stay on top for another week as well. That would be VERY nice. And if they can do that, then their chances of staying in the Top 10 through the holidays is much stronger.

Matching ATYCLB? Way too early to tell. ATYCLB had fantastic legs. Its final sales were about 10x its debut week sales! That's some legs!! :ohmy: If HTDAAB were to sell at that pace, it'd have to sell 8M+ copies!! As much as I'd love for that to happen, I don't think so. ;)

However, if U2 can produce another few hits, have a solid tour and win some awards, we could see sales in the 3-4M range again.

Matching ATYCLB? Certainly. It has already sold about the same as ATYCLB did in its first four weeks. With possible sales week of 350+K and it has sold the same as ATYCLB did in its first seven weeks. Sure, that album stayed in the Billboard Album 200 for almost 2 years, but with these huge numbers HTDAAB gains a lot of ground.

BTW, I just noticed that Josh Groban might debut in the top 50 with 2 albums! :ohmy: Which begs my question, who is Josh Groban? :huh:

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom