hamish hamilton is talentless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bray

The Fly
why does U2 use this guy? anyone else find the dvd to be unwatchable due to the direction?

I did! I've only watched it once and I thought it was rubbish. I liked his work on the Elevation Tour releases, but this one was just awful. Poor editing, poor shots, ugh. Even worse is the "bonus" disc that costs you about an extra $7 and is really a fancy coaster.

I agree his direction is a little over the top and vomit-inducing, but I don't think it's that bad that I would prevent me from watching the Chicago DVD again. I'm such a big fan of the tour and the band, that I will watch it regardless of how bad the directing is.

He did a great job with Slane, then forgot that there were fans at the Chicago shows.

Some of the most surreal moments of Live From Slane Castle are the audience reaction shots.

Final judgement will be the Milan dvd. The Vertigo video from it in the Communications cd-rom has some beautiful footage---making me very excited to see the show---but it's all clipped together with no more than 2 seconds per frame. The description says something like "Milan gets dizzy for Vertigo"....so I'm hoping that crazy editing is only for Vertigo.... :huh:

Liked Slane, won't see Chicago 'til Christmas. I'll hold my call 'til the last dvd of the tour.

I thought it was fine, but I'm not really into film and production. My favorite shows to watch are the ones that are pro-shot, but not edited so the angle changes every .5 seconds. Like the TV broadcasts of PopMart Mexico City or Santiago. I find they're easier to watch.

Chicago "Running to Stand Still" is the most beautifully filmed U2 performance I've seen in a professional release.

too bad im still cleaning up my puke from COBL so i miss Running to Stand Still

the vertigo clip from the milan DVD doesn't give me much hope either.

Chizip said:
too bad im still cleaning up my puke from COBL so i miss Running to Stand Still

the vertigo clip from the milan DVD doesn't give me much hope either.

:wink: Yeah that's too bad. Maybe next time you should just start the video right up after Bullet.

Lancemc said:
Chicago "Running to Stand Still" is the most beautifully filmed U2 performance I've seen in a professional release.

Yeah, the camera shot just above Bono's shoulder looking out into the crowd is epic. Both in Running and Original of the Species. I wish there was more of that.

I like the Elevation and Slane work. I'm not a fan of the Chicago DVD for a number of reasons. I honestly get bored and skip through virtually every song after 30 seconds or so. I've got next week off work so I promise I'll give it a full viewing then.

Earnie Shavers said:
I like the Elevation and Slane work. I'm not a fan of the Chicago DVD for a number of reasons. I honestly get bored and skip through virtually every song after 30 seconds or so. I've got next week off work so I promise I'll give it a full viewing then.

Do like I said and just try watching it after Bullet the Blue Sky. There really is a noticable difference in the editing at the point between Bullet and RTSS.

The first time I watched this DVD I happened to watch it in two sitting, and first time from beginning to Bullet, then the second from RTSS to the end.

Aside from The Electric Co. (which almost lends itself to Hamish's style a bit more) the second sitting was a much more enjoyable viewing experience.

The only time the DVD gets kind of "iffy" during the second half is with The Fly, but that almost works similiarly to The Electic Co.

Back
Top Bottom