GA Discussion / Camera policies, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'll say 6p...

don't freak out when you see people on the outside rail

-dan

really? that late? that would be perfect... was planning on getting there around 5.

anyone else have an opinion? anyone go to chicago or toronto?

About 6pm they were still handing out ellipse wristbands at Chicago 2. We waited for the MASSIVE GA line to file in, then hopped on the back closer to the stadium, took our time getting in, settled at the soundboard, and THEN two from our group wandered to the front to look around and came back with ellipse wristbands. I have a pic that we took while the other two were getting their wristbands and the EXIF data says 5:59pm, then I have Mark's pic of the GA floor taken at 6:30pm and the two are already back.

There were a LOT of people on the outside, probably as many or more than inside, but I would at least go check. Just keep going along either side, stay to the outside and go almost to the back of the stage (past the Red Zone areas) to get in. A lot of people simply missed it and funneled along the outer rail.

That's fantastic to hear. I'll be getting in line for the DC show in the morning, but my girlfriend and I won't be able to make the Charlottesville show until after work (around 6, I hope.) Sounds like we may still have a chance to get close.

So is there an official camera policy in effect for all stadiums on this tour, or can it vary from city to city? I was under the impression that pro DSLR cameras weren't allowed at the shows unless you're with the media. And that only small cameras with non-detachable lenses can be brought in. But I just read this post by an_cat... http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6396927&postcount=567

According to what she was told by someone who works at Gillette Stadium, ALL cameras are being allowed into the Boston shows, includng DSLR's. Only video cameras aren't being allowed. Has this been the policy at other stops on the tour? I'd like to know if anyone has brought their DSLR camera into a show without having to sneak it in. I was at the Chicago shows last weekend. I remember seeing a sign posted near the start of the GA line stating that only cameras with lenses 3" and smaller were allowed, but I thought that only applied to small cameras with DSLR's not allowed regardless of the lens size. I have a Canon 40D and would LOVE to bring that camera to the Glendale and Vegas shows next month. I know I can get some great photos using just the 28-135mm kit lens it came with, as long as I can get a spot on the outer rail. I didn't think I'd be able to bring the 40D into the Chicago shows, so I left that camera at home and instead brought my small Canon P&S digital camera which doesn't take anywhere near as good photos in low light as my 40D. If I will be allowed to bring my 40D to the shows in Glendale and Vegas next month, that's GREAT news!

I know this has been discussed a little bit, but not quite as specifically as I'd like to know, so please excuse my covering of this topic. :)

I missed getting inside the ellipse on the Vertigo tour (closest I got was along the outer rail), so I really want to get inside the pit and be up front this time. I'm 5'2". Will I be able to see from the front of the pit, considering the height of the stage? I know most people are saying the outer rail inside the pit is probably the best spot, but I really wanted to be up close. Is that still a bad idea? I do want to be able to see, but I also want to be in the action!

I know this has been discussed a little bit, but not quite as specifically as I'd like to know, so please excuse my covering of this topic. :)

I missed getting inside the ellipse on the Vertigo tour (closest I got was along the outer rail), so I really want to get inside the pit and be up front this time. I'm 5'2". Will I be able to see from the front of the pit, considering the height of the stage? I know most people are saying the outer rail inside the pit is probably the best spot, but I really wanted to be up close. Is that still a bad idea? I do want to be able to see, but I also want to be in the action!

Disclaimer - I ended up on the back inner circle rail for Chicago 1 and Red Zone 2 for Chicago 2.

I was briefly at the front rail just to check it out, and I would guess that you would be able to see Bono, Edge, and Adam when they are at the front of the stage, but you wouldn't be able to see Larry (or just the tip of his head).

Does that sound about right to everyone else?

Disclaimer - I ended up on the back inner circle rail for Chicago 1 and Red Zone 2 for Chicago 2.

I was briefly at the front rail just to check it out, and I would guess that you would be able to see Bono, Edge, and Adam when they are at the front of the stage, but you wouldn't be able to see Larry (or just the tip of his head).

Does that sound about right to everyone else?

That's what I've been hearing about being at the front rail, but after seeing these Flickr photos and YouTube videos taken by a concert reviewer in Toronto from the front rail between Bono and Edge, the view from the front doesn't seem all that bad. Actually pretty good for taking photos! They were even able to get some nice photos of Larry. So much for not being able to see him from the front row. Now I wonder if height has anything to do with it? I'm only 5'6", so perhaps that might make it a little tougher to see.

U2 | Rogers Centre | Toronto | September 17 2009 | Rock Concert Review | Photos - CONCERTAHOLICS.com

U2 | Toronto | Rogers Centre | September 17, 2009 - a set on Flickr

That's what I've been hearing about being at the front rail, but after seeing these Flickr photos and YouTube videos taken by a concert reviewer in Toronto from the front rail between Bono and Edge, the view from the front doesn't seem all that bad. Actually pretty good for taking photos! They were even able to get some nice photos of Larry. So much for not being able to see him from the front row. Now I wonder if height has anything to do with it? I'm only 5'6", so perhaps that might make it a little tougher to see.

U2 | Rogers Centre | Toronto | September 17 2009 | Rock Concert Review | Photos - CONCERTAHOLICS.com

U2 | Toronto | Rogers Centre | September 17, 2009 - a set on Flickr

I was specifically commenting for the poster that is 5'2". I am 6 feet tall and could see Larry's drum kit when I checked from the front rail.

Never ever doing GA again for a U2 show again! After the last show where my EX and I waited for hours and hours outside only for people to rush in like animals when the gate opened and then to be behind 4 rows of people before the stage and behind a jerk who was on the first row and behind people who would push and shove to get to the very front at all costs! That jerk I was talking about kept holding up a HUGE stupid sign every time Bono or any of the boys got close IE thus blocking the views for the people behind him. And in the middle of the show some moron spilled his whole beer on my leg and side!.. Ive been to 4 U2 shows this was my first GA experience and let me tell you I enjoyed the other 3 shows 1000000000000000 times better then the GA. Honestly I don't get why people go crazy over GA. I'de rather do something else with my time then wait for hours only for jerks who waited much less the you did to shove right into the front anyway! I'll just come in abou an hour before the show all relaxed knowing I have a seat waiting for me.

And in the middle of the show some moron spilled his whole beer on my leg and side!.. Ive been to 4 U2 shows this was my first GA experience and let me tell you I enjoyed the other 3 shows 1000000000000000 times better then the GA. Honestly I don't get why people go crazy over GA.

That's really too bad that you were surrounded by rude people. That's never been my experience with GA, and honestly I've had similiarly horrible experiences with seats. It just depends on the luck of the draw and who you end up being near. I love GA for any show (not just U2), because then I don't have anyone to blame except myself if I can't see the band :lol:

About the camera policy..... I'm leaving in a couple hours for the stadium and actually starting to chicken out about taking my rebel xti.... Think I may just take my point and shoot and not get stressed about getting some weird security guard. I don't know, everyone told me there wouldn't be a problem with the camera but it almost seems too good to be true! :shifty:

Will they let you bring in Yellow Pages to stand on? That would add a few inches. :)

Haha, that's a great idea!

Thanks for the info, everyone. If I have a good spot in line think I might try for the front and see what the view is like, then run back if necessary. :)

Never ever doing GA again for a U2 show again! After the last show where my EX and I waited for hours and hours outside only for people to rush in like animals when the gate opened and then to be behind 4 rows of people before the stage and behind a jerk who was on the first row and behind people who would push and shove to get to the very front at all costs! That jerk I was talking about kept holding up a HUGE stupid sign every time Bono or any of the boys got close IE thus blocking the views for the people behind him. And in the middle of the show some moron spilled his whole beer on my leg and side!.. Ive been to 4 U2 shows this was my first GA experience and let me tell you I enjoyed the other 3 shows 1000000000000000 times better then the GA. Honestly I don't get why people go crazy over GA. I'de rather do something else with my time then wait for hours only for jerks who waited much less the you did to shove right into the front anyway! I'll just come in abou an hour before the show all relaxed knowing I have a seat waiting for me.

:down: Try London, you get some right pigs there, and they are not the natives either :angry: I have never seen so many ill mannered people in my life than some of the concert "tourists" there :angry: I wonder if they get away with that behaviour in their own country, or they are just all that bloody rude :angry:

When I was in London by the time the gates opened no one was obeying the numbering system. Is it the same case here in USA? or are people actually disciplined?

Also, is the outerring lower in elevation than the main stage? because I was by the rail of inner stage in London and the stage was towering high. I could only see Larry's hair.

I'm thinking if instead going to the outside rail would give me a better view. Would it? I'm short.

Y'all asking about stage heights--I'm 5' 5" and checked the "view" from the front as we cleared out of the pit tonight, and it's waaaay too tall to see anything except when someone comes close to the edge, if you're on the rail, at least. Go for the back of the pit instead, amazing view. And yes, the catwalk-height is a lot lower than the main stage height. It was probably 5' off the ground or maybe slightly less...

Hey, just a quick update on the camera policy after last night's show. Security got very weird right before U2 came on about lenses over 3 inches long, and they said they were briefed that anything with a lense that comes off is "professional" (and apparently, that zooms out over 3 inches, such bullcrap, anyways :shifty:). So I wouldn't risk it. I had a point and shoot and the lense zooms out a fair amount and I was getting eyed by the Super Serious Event Staff the whole time. I don't think I'd risk anything other than a point and shoot!

yeah, that's what they said the policy was at soldier field too. though security was so lax there, they didn't even really check my bag. i didn't bother bringing a camera since my fiancé brought his canon s5. even in the 400 section for night 2 we got great shots.

Y'all asking about stage heights--I'm 5' 5" and checked the "view" from the front as we cleared out of the pit tonight, and it's waaaay too tall to see anything except when someone comes close to the edge, if you're on the rail, at least. Go for the back of the pit instead, amazing view. And yes, the catwalk-height is a lot lower than the main stage height. It was probably 5' off the ground or maybe slightly less...

The back of the pit huh? what about the outer rail?

Sarah and I are 5' and we figured our best bet would be outside rail. Thankfully, that's exactly where my family ended up last night at Gillette (my husband and son were with us) and we were thrilled with our spot practically dead center outside rail. It was perfect for us shorties! I think we would've had trouble seeing if we went inside the pit at the back rail. Having no one in front of us to block our view at all was awesome!

So did anyone have security give them a problem at Gillette last night with a dslr. I am tempted to bring my d40 with the kit 18-55 lens tonight - I am in the Red Zone. Any suggestions?

Sarah and I are 5' and we figured our best bet would be outside rail. Thankfully, that's exactly where my family ended up last night at Gillette (my husband and son were with us) and we were thrilled with our spot practically dead center outside rail. It was perfect for us shorties! I think we would've had trouble seeing if we went inside the pit at the back rail. Having no one in front of us to block our view at all was awesome!

How early do you think we have to get there to get a spot in center outside rail?

and do they let you go there when the inside pit has not been filled yet?

How early do you think we have to get there to get a spot in center outside rail?

and do they let you go there when the inside pit has not been filled yet?

I would say pretty early. A lot of people at the front of the line want that spot, or are mistaken about how to get in the pit and end up there. A group of people ahead of us in Chicago (we got in line at 5:20am) were along the outer rail when we got in the pit. If you want to actually be ON the rail, you need to be in line super early.

Yes, you can go wherever you want, either in the pit or on the outside. Chicago 2 we went straight to the soundboard (about 5pm) and they were letting people in the pit until 6pm.

So did anyone have security give them a problem at Gillette last night with a dslr. I am tempted to bring my d40 with the kit 18-55 lens tonight - I am in the Red Zone. Any suggestions?

That's a pretty small kit, I've seen some point and shoots about the same size. At least in Chicago, I don't think you would have had a problem with that camera and lens. If that's what I had, I would have taken it into the Red Zone. I left mine behind b/c I have a D90 body (bigger than my D40) and the shortest lens (inches-wise) I had along was 18-105, about 3" at its widest angle and they were pretty strict on the 3" lens or shorter rule.

ETA: too late now I guess, did you bring it in?

Back
Top Bottom