For Cat Lovers Only XVIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just finished another cat-and-house-sitting stint for another friend at work. Shah was a lovely old cat, all black with stray white hairs, yellow eyes and a slightly oriental look to him, unfortunately I forgot to take a camera with me. He was very easy to look after and spent a lot of time lounging on my knees in the evenings :D Back home, Mousya is usually ok with me seeing other cats, but I did notice that on the first night I was back she slept on my Mum's bed instead of mine as per usual.

Awww. I love cats and Christmas trees. My kittens will have a ton of fun when we go to my Mom's for Christmas this year. That is if they don't freak out too much at her German Shepherd (who thankfully LOVES cats and not for dinner).

On a sad not, my kittens have colds. Salome's is worse than MacPhisto's. She seems pretty congested, so I locked her in the bathroom with my while I showered. Thankfully, both are eating and drinking normally. They also got their first taste of wet food today and loved it. I will continue to try to mix it in with their kibble.

On a sad not, my kittens have colds. Salome's is worse than MacPhisto's. She seems pretty congested, so I locked her in the bathroom with my while I showered. Thankfully, both are eating and drinking normally. They also got their first taste of wet food today and loved it. I will continue to try to mix it in with their kibble.

That's great to do a steam treatment with having them in the bathroom with you to help loosen the congestion. Wet food is good for the extra water in it, and has a stronger smell to stimulate their appetite. If they eat more of it plain than mixed in dry food, it's ok to feed it separately. Warming it up for a few seconds can help bring out the flavor and aroma as well.

If they get any eye/nose boogers, try to keep the discharge off with a tissue or warm washcloth - they don't love the process but will feel better afterwards and are less likely to have skin irritation around their nose and eyes. These are usually viruses that will pass within a few days but often their noses will be ticklish for a week or more where they are sneezing but not congested or blowing boogers. Be sure to check in with your vet if the congestion seems to be getting worse, you can't get them to eat, or if their eyes are squinty/winking frequently.

Hope they are feeling better soon!

~The Interference vet who hasn't checked in here in forever! ~

Inner El Guapo said:
But fuck it, I love animals. They are better than most people.

of course they are; people suck.

a friend of mine usually phrases it as if he had the choice between pushing a button to destroy all humanity vs. his dog getting killed, it's a no-brainier--see ya, mom! *pushes button*. hell, if I had that button I'd still push it and save his dog. she's awesome.

I should take some pics of my mom's cats, leo (tolstoy) and nikolai (gogol). i had been calling nikolai kolya but the dog (carla) thought i was talking to her...

bonosloveslave said:

:ohmy:

I was gonna say, holy crap that is a name I have not seen in a very, very long time!

That's great to do a steam treatment with having them in the bathroom with you to help loosen the congestion. Wet food is good for the extra water in it, and has a stronger smell to stimulate their appetite. If they eat more of it plain than mixed in dry food, it's ok to feed it separately. Warming it up for a few seconds can help bring out the flavor and aroma as well.

If they get any eye/nose boogers, try to keep the discharge off with a tissue or warm washcloth - they don't love the process but will feel better afterwards and are less likely to have skin irritation around their nose and eyes. These are usually viruses that will pass within a few days but often their noses will be ticklish for a week or more where they are sneezing but not congested or blowing boogers. Be sure to check in with your vet if the congestion seems to be getting worse, you can't get them to eat, or if their eyes are squinty/winking frequently.

Hope they are feeling better soon!

Yeah, the cleaning of the eyes didn't make me popular today. But, I'm happy to report Salome seems to be feeling much better today. She's back to playing like a mad kitten. I will continue with the steam treatment just to keep them uncongested.

Awww. I love cats and Christmas trees. My kittens will have a ton of fun when we go to my Mom's for Christmas this year. That is if they don't freak out too much at her German Shepherd (who thankfully LOVES cats and not for dinner).

How long will you be at your moms? Do you not have anyone to check in on them at your house? In my experience cats are not good 'travelers' like dogs... they tend to get scared and/or traumatized when taken out of their home.

How long will you be at your moms? Do you not have anyone to check in on them at your house? In my experience cats are not good 'travelers' like dogs... they tend to get scared and/or traumatized when taken out of their home.

I'm there Wednesday through Saturday. I don't have someone who lives close by who will be in town so they need to go with me. I know it's not ideal, but they will have each other and I'll bring some of their toys.

On another note. I'm trying the Tidy Cats Breeze. They said it could take 3 days for them to use it. Yeah, my kits started using it right away. Even over their current box. I like it because it's dust free.

It is a sport in which the contestants sometimes lie down in the middle of the field, unmotivated and bemused.

Feline agility competitions, in which cats run through a miniature obstacle course full of hurdles and tunnels, have become fixtures on the cat show scene. Modeled after canine agility competitions, the tournaments feature a ring in which cat owners — some of whom have trained their pets from kittenhood — brandish a feather or sparkly wand to try to coax a cat to climb stairs, weave around poles and leap through hoops in as little time as possible.

Cat agility

Uh-huh...yeah, I can see this catching on big time! :lol:

The other day Samus was on top of the couch.. I took our orange stress ball (about the size of a tennis ball) and placed it on her back. Usually she'll just ignore it.. but this time she moved so it would roll off and fall.. mid fall she caught it with her paw.. and then dropped it down to me. So I tossed it back to her and once again.. she caught it and threw it back. This went on for about five minutes. :cute: If I put the ball by her face she would cuddle it and then roll it back down. There were even a few times she caught it in mid-air lol.

The other day Samus was on top of the couch.. I took our orange stress ball (about the size of a tennis ball) and placed it on her back. Usually she'll just ignore it.. but this time she moved so it would roll off and fall.. mid fall she caught it with her paw.. and then dropped it down to me. So I tossed it back to her and once again.. she caught it and threw it back. This went on for about five minutes. :cute: If I put the ball by her face she would cuddle it and then roll it back down. There were even a few times she caught it in mid-air lol.

That is so sweet! :love:

Oh, yeah. cause cats are so easy to train and eager to perform on command.

Saki plays the same game when he's up on his cat walks.. I throw balls up there and he bats them down lol. Never on command.. but they can be trained. :D

Cat agility

Uh-huh...yeah, I can see this catching on big time! :lol:
The mere fact that they're pitting Bengals against Maine Coons and American Shorthairs in the same contest tells you all you need to know about how serious this really is, no? It's like entering your Basset Hound in a sled dog race under the logic that after all any dog can learn to enjoy pulling something on command...

Last edited:
My little Salome is sick and I'm worrying myself sick. Yesterday I noticed she was lethargic, just sleeping and sitting looking at the crazy antics of MacPhisto. I fed her and she had some diarrhea. She's not crying, just very lethargic. I've gotten her to eat some kibble and drink some water. Took her to to vet today to get her sutures out and get her checked out. The vet didn't seem too concerned, and ordered a test of her feces. I hear back tomorow and at this point am hoping it's worms and not something even worse. It just kills me to see her like this. The people at the vet loved how cuddly she was. She even perched herself on my shoulder while in the empty waiting room.

Here's a pic of my poor baby resting on my keyboard last night.

fz0ufk.jpg

Hope Salome's OK!

Sheldon: Just because I'm asleep in your lap does NOT mean you can pet me.

My little Salome is sick and I'm worrying myself sick. Yesterday I noticed she was lethargic, just sleeping and sitting looking at the crazy antics of MacPhisto. I fed her and she had some diarrhea. She's not crying, just very lethargic. I've gotten her to eat some kibble and drink some water. Took her to to vet today to get her sutures out and get her checked out. The vet didn't seem too concerned, and ordered a test of her feces. I hear back tomorow and at this point am hoping it's worms and not something even worse. It just kills me to see her like this. The people at the vet loved how cuddly she was. She even perched herself on my shoulder while in the empty waiting room.

Here's a pic of my poor baby resting on my keyboard last night.

fz0ufk.jpg

:hug: It's probably just from the cold. It can make them feel really under the weather. How is she doing today? Did you start antibiotics?

If she's not eating you can try giving her baby food (plain chicken or beef) or chicken broth, or heat up her wet food. If nothing else some tuna juice (in water). Her nose may be stuffy so if they cant smell their food they are less inclined to eat. Hope she feels better soon.

Evening update. Got home and Salome seemed a little perkier than she was last night. For example she has enough energy to jump on my bed (which is high). Also, she's started eating again. She's eating the kibble and wet food and she drinking too. Hopefully the antibiotics continue to work. Oh and she hates getting her medicine. Thankfully she still wants to cuddle. She's just the sweetest thing.

Good news! I'm so glad to hear that.

Meanwhile, one of the three kittens that the feral cat had under our shed a couple of months ago is under there crying tonight. Mama and the other two aren't in sight. It's so sad, but I don't know what to do. We can't even get hold of her to maybe take her to the shelter. I don't dare bring her inside, in case she is sick--I would hate to infect Callie and Fergus. I feel so sad and so helpless!

She looks a little similar to Shelley yes sicy lol. But she's pretty small at the moment. Nine weeks. Shelley hissed twice at first, then she miaowed (sounded like crying). Then we took the new cat (think we're going for Tilly) to where her water etc is and I put my hand out for Shelley to smell, which she did intently. Then she started hitting my hand. So she's not too happy at the moment. But she hasn't been too aggressive so hopefully they'll get along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom