For Cat Lovers Only XVI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the petmate freshflow. The petmate fountain water falls down but against the plastic.

petmate_delux_fresh_flow_1.jpg

The drinkwell fountain is more like an actual fountain where the water falls down freely.

drinkwell_fountain.jpg

Depends on what you think the cat would like better. Mine love their fountain.

I want to get Wally a pet fountain to encourage him to drink more. What brand would you guys recommend?

I hope Luigi feels better :hug:.

Thanks!!

I used to have the petmate one that sicy posted and mine loved it! it's been on the fritz and haven't' gotten a new one yet, but they did really like that one! mine would end up playing with the drinkwell free flowing one! hahaha Luigi is a big fan of swatting at flowing water. :cute:

Are you sure its on the fritz? Mine would stop working and I thought it died but then I took it completely apart, and took the pump apart too and cleaned out all the cat hair and junk and it worked fine again after that.

Yep the pump gets stuffed with gunk too. :yes:

About the leukemia testing, it definitely will not hurt to let them test for it. It can be a common disease in strays, street or barn cats. It's really up to the owner to make the decision. There is no clear cut answer.

Is it something that HAS to be done this visit? Like, I have to bring him in again pretty soon from now anyways, and I just started my new job, so things are a little tight (when I took Bowie in I thought I had a job lined up and it didn't pan out).

Thanks for all the advice guys!

If money is tight I'd say take care of the vaccination and the worming first.

ashley, I guess i stand corrected.. :shrug: just trying to help..

Oh, if that was directed toward me, I wasn't trying to say you are wrong, just letting her know what my vet told me. Individual vets have varying opinions about many things, and there might be other reasons, too. Maybe some vets see it more often in cats with different lifestyles/from different environments, or it could be that different geographical areas have different rates of the disease. Just offering up another viewpoint expressed by my vet, that's all. :) I'm sure Ashley's vet can let her know if s/he considers it important or not.

ftr, all my cats have (i think) been vaccinated for leukaemia. i know for sure we did in florida because they spent a lot of time in our porch which was screened in and the vet said they could touch noses with another cat or get outside (our first two cats did each escape one time so you never know). i personally think it's better to be safe than sorry, but worry more about the necessities first. if money's tight now worry about that stuff first and the other things later.

on a sadder note though, sunnie was put to sleep today. the vet said her kidneys were failing so it was definitely time. i wish i'd been there for it for my mom's sake, but she was more my mom's cat than mine (which is funny because she was a birthday present for me). it sounds like everything went smoothly so she wasn't in pain or anything.

ftr, all my cats have (i think) been vaccinated for leukaemia. i know for sure we did in florida because they spent a lot of time in our porch which was screened in and the vet said they could touch noses with another cat or get outside (our first two cats did each escape one time so you never know). i personally think it's better to be safe than sorry, but worry more about the necessities first. if money's tight now worry about that stuff first and the other things later.

on a sadder note though, sunnie was put to sleep today. the vet said her kidneys were failing so it was definitely time. i wish i'd been there for it for my mom's sake, but she was more my mom's cat than mine (which is funny because she was a birthday present for me). it sounds like everything went smoothly so she wasn't in pain or anything.

:hug: Khan... sorry for your loss.. even though she was more your mom's cat, she was still a part of your family.

VP, i wasn't directing my comment at anyone really..

:hug: Khan.

Well, I'm glad Bowie's going to the vet Monday, cause I think he might have a cold again. He's been non-stop sneezing since about 5 this morning.

:sad: :hug:

Well, I'm glad Bowie's going to the vet Monday, cause I think he might have a cold again. He's been non-stop sneezing since about 5 this morning.

Nochi gets these 'colds' too. The SPCA where we got her says she is prone to these.. She just got over one recently. She gets over them in a few days (3-4). I wonder sometimes if they are allergies.

I'm concerned for the silliest reason. I have a cold to. I'm pretty sure it's impossible, but I'm feeling all guilty, like I got him sick, since he has officially taken to having his naps on my stomach now.

:hug:

If he's sneezing it may not be a cold. There's a disease cat can get that's called Sneezing disease in Dutch(Don't know the English term, sorry!) and they vaccinate for that here. Miep had it when we just got her from the streets, but now she only sneezes occasionally.

ETA: Wikipedia says it's called cat flu.
Cat flu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep its the same here. One of the things that the FVRCP vaccination protects against is upper respiratory issues so hopefully after he gets that he wont have those issues anymore.

Ugh....I'll try not to get too detailed here. I changed Wesley's dry from some random Purina food to Halo this past week. I've heard people here use it and also a friend uses it and her cat loves it. I've also been giving him about 1/2 cup more dry than I was before. I use clumping litter and try to scoop every day/every other day and then fully clean the box every Sunday. I've noticed A LOT more activity in his box the past few days. Let's just say when I clean it out daily there's not a lot of solid stuff so I was wondering if he was having issues. He covers up and then sometimes will cover up a second time so I haven't ever seen it....until tonight. :| I was just getting ready to clean it out fully when he ran in there and did his thing. I think he got nervous that I was in there so he missed the box. Yeah that was great fun. So I'm thinking it might not be the right thing for his tummy. So far since I've had him, he's eaten whatever I put in front of him and hasn't had any issues of throwing up. Lily always throws up when her food has been switched so we don't switch it anymore from what she's been on for years.

He also doesn't seem too excited about the dry food but he eats it all. Normally he is all over the food the second it hits the bowl but the last few days he runs into the bathroom and hops up on the counter above the cabinet where I keep his food. I thought maybe he was waiting for me to give him something else. After a few minutes he goes to his bowl and eats.

So I'm not sure if he's getting too much fiber from the new food, and also the extra food he's getting a day, and if I should do something like half and half of what I was giving him and this new stuff. He still wakes me up and won't leave me alone most of the night so I'm not any closer to a full night's sleep than I was when I was micro managing his food a little more than I have the last week.

You have to change foods gradually. Like start with a 75/25 mix of the old food and new food, then 50/50 etc otherwise they can be prone to diarrhea. Is that the issue? It's not the amount of food. He may poop more of course if he is eating more but he wont have diarrhea just because he's eating more than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom