For Cat Lovers Only IX - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MsPurrl said:

Beautiful cats! Must be a "ginger cat thing":

122507FergusInTheBox.jpg

Haha!

He sat in a shoebox a few weeks ago, it was incredibly funny

sue4u2 said:
Ms. Purrl, you can just put a lid on that Xerox box and mail Alex to me.. :wink:

Went home for lunch and Bela is nowhere to be found.
She hasn't eaten any of the food I left out - just in case.
I don't know. Not feeling too optimistic, right now.
She may be prowling around in the woods next to the complex.

I really wish I could leave. We're not working much anyway untill some of the system gets back on line.
I could be home looking for my cat. :|

I had to smile, Sue--Coolian's cat is Alex; mine is Fergus--but the funny thing is that MrPurrl's name is Alex--maybe I could find a BIG box and send him to you? :)

I sure hope Bela shows up soon; I know how you feel! :sad:

I know what it is now.. after researching it and looking at the inside of bella's eye.. It's Conjunctivitis by all the symtoms and by the way the membrane is swollen when you pull her upper lid back..

Here's a link: http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/conjunctivitis.htm

now my question is do I let it run its course or call a vet and maybe get some ointment for her.. Or is there over the counter stuff I can buy? I am trying to avoid bringing her in.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I know what it is now.. after researching it and looking at the inside of bella's eye.. It's Conjunctivitis by all the symtoms and by the way the membrane is swollen when you pull her upper lid back..

Here's a link: http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/conjunctivitis.htm

now my question is do I let it run its course or call a vet and maybe get some ointment for her.. Or is there over the counter stuff I can buy? I am trying to avoid bringing her in.

Can you call the vet and explain your situation and ask if they can prescribe something without having to bring her in? They will probably say no though because this can be caused by infection, and when there is infection, antibiotics is necessary. And it may be more harmful to treat her without being seen because it could be stemming from a bigger problem. And no I would not recommend any OTC stuff (I dont even think there is any for this), especially in regards to the eyes, I wouldnt mess with them.

MsPurrl said:

I had to smile, Sue--Coolian's cat is Alex; mine is Fergus--but the funny thing is that MrPurrl's name is Alex--maybe I could find a BIG box and send him to you? :)

I sure hope Bela shows up soon; I know how you feel! :sad:

Alex - Fergus.. Get a bigger box. I'll take both. :wink:

Thanks Wild..& Ms. Purrl (Alex) I hope so too. :up:

*sigh* Someone must have Bela inside one of these apartments.
I can only hope so. The weather was really nasty this afternoon, tornado warnings, etc - and it's going to be cold tonight and tomorrow night especially. I'm so afraid she's going to get some kind of infection. She has made so much progress. I can only hope it's not the same people who wrapped her foot in the first place.

U2F4Ever, I'm so sorry for your's...
Something like conjunctivitis, even in humans, has to be treated
with prescription medicine. There is no otc medicine that even we humans can use. (to the best of my knowledge)
I agree with Sicy.. call around to the vets in your area and ask if they can help, but don't count on it. This type of infection, if thats what it is, has very specific diagnosis proceedures and they will want to see her before prescribing medicine. But it doesn't hurt to try.. Good luck. I'm pulling for her & you.. :yes:

Jack has had pink eye many times in the almost four years that I've had him. Only recently did my new vet realize that it's not that he has sensitive eyes but that he had bartonella, a virus that can make cats more prone to upper respiratory problems. Ever since he did the 30 days of antibiotic treatment for that, he's been a new cat--so much more energetic and playful, and his sneezes and sniffles and eye problems have vanished.

If Bella has never had problems before, chances are it's just plain old pink eye, which isn't a big deal. Jack has almost always had a tetramyacin (not sure about the spelling of that...) ointment. A few times he had drops or pills, but he always ended up with the ointment again when those didn't work. The vet gives it to me to keep on hand so I don't have to take him in every time.

However, if this is the first time she's had it, you should really take her to the vet, where they'll probably do a corneal scrape to double check that it's viral and not bacterial. It's really not something you just want to leave alone, since it won't usually clear up on its own. In the meantime, if she'll let you, you can put a warm washcloth over her eye to help reduce the swelling and goo.

well.. for now I am going to call around and talk with some vets about it.. I can get the antibiotic ointment online it looks like:http://www.pawstogo.com/browseproducts/Terramycin-Antibiotic-Eye-Ointment.html

but I won't do that until I talk with a vet.. I know how important bella's health is, cuz I am worried cat mom but the stress of bringing her in to a vet is a lot to deal with.. What I am worrried about is how her anxiety is going to affect her now at age 15 which concerns me the most. The last time she was seen by a vet was 6 yrs ago. The vet came to the house and she was hissing and moaning and he had to sedate her just to touch her. I just would hate to see her in that much stress again.

and btw.. her eye is not oozing at all.. And only had some initial tearing up with goo on friday. I didn't see any of it since. Her eye isn't red but puffy on her upper lid and cheek area.

Last edited:
Sue, I am really very sad about this. After all you did for her. I really hope she comes back. She's probably out getting pregnant. :huh: But she should know her way around your apartments right? Maybe put out some lost cat flyers? She will come home I know it.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
and btw.. her eye is not oozing at all.. And only had some initial tearing up with goo on friday. I didn't see any of it since. Her eye isn't red but puffy on her upper lid and cheek area.

Thats good. It doesnt sound as bad as it did before. Is her third eyelid showing? You could give it a couple more days and see how it goes. If it gets worse though maybe you can find a mobile vet again. I know it sounds like she'll hate it but it would be less stressful than actually taking her to a vet, where everything is foreign to her.

cinn wow that's a high quote. Have you checked some websites online on how to make one yourself? Is there a man around the house and maybe some buddies? :lol:

:lmao: there's a man around the house but he's hopeless at handyman things. I think I may have to rope in my Dad to build one.

hope everything works out well with the pink eye:hug:
my tip for medicating cats is to crush the tablets, mix it with something they like and smear it on to their front paws. I've learnt this the hard way over the last few weeks:mad:

Sue, I posted some links in here a while ago which I found when my cat Abby took off one night. I had very little hope of her returning, but thanks to some tips on this website and perseverence, she did return. Skinnier, but returned.

Have a good look through this site. It's a great resource.
http://www.sonic.net/~pauline/sit.html

Good luck to everyone with lost or sick kitties.
:hug:

A weird thing happened the other day while i was at work.......my father-in-law tried to kidnap Cleo.......apparently they have mice. They did not call or ask for permission first, my in-laws just drove up to my house and when they could not find her ( or catch her ) they asked my neighbours where are they and they said they do not know, and suggested to them to buy a mouse trap.....so they called me to tell me what happened. I really thought they were joking but apparently my in-laws were for real, they even told my neighbours that they will be back to find them.

I am EXTREMELY creeped out by this, I have complained to hubby about it and he has since rang them and thank God has told them "NO!" but i still can't help the thought of what might have had happened to her if they had of caught her!

:|

Last edited:
move out to the sticks with me and hide from people. it will be great. we have a pool. no one will ever find you there! your kitties will be safe. well, except for wingus and dingus, but they're easy fixed.

Such cute kitties Sad Punk and coolian2!

U2Fanatic4ever -- Isabella sounds like a real hellion! My Mitzi can be a terror whenever I try to do anything to her (such as brushing, trimming nails, pilling, etc) or take her to the vet, but she's not nearly as bad as your kitty. I hope Bella's eye gets better without too much trauma for you, her, or the local vet and staff. :)

sue4u2 -- Oh no! I hope Bela comes back home soon. I'm totally paranoid my newest cat (LBC who's a former street kitty) will make a dash for the door when I'm asleep (my brother and his daughter are using my bathroom while theirs is being remodeled), so I make sure he is either in a cage (which he likes) or locked in the bedroom with me when I'm asleep or out of the house. I imagine she got feeling better and the urge to go is so intense for unaltered cats that she just couldn't resist. Don't give up hope though. I've had cats come home weeks after they got out. :hug:

Sicy said:
Thats good. It doesnt sound as bad as it did before. Is her third eyelid showing? You could give it a couple more days and see how it goes. If it gets worse though maybe you can find a mobile vet again. I know it sounds like she'll hate it but it would be less stressful than actually taking her to a vet, where everything is foreign to her.

sicy, no I don't see her third eyelid at all. Her eye this morning actually looks a little better, slightly less puffy than yesterday. It still isn't back to normal. I think I am gonna wait it out and see. It may have been something that got in her eye, wedged itself in there and may have worked itself out possibly..

There were wild turkeys in my back yard yesterday, and all of a sudden I heard very frantic gobbling. I looked out in time to see one of the neighborhood kitties chasing them. She was running at top speed toward them, and they were gobbling like crazy and running toward the woods. It was hilarious! :lol:

She doesnt look very comfortable to me :lol:
Her head looks smashed and she looks like she's stuck :lmao:

Cats are weird!

Angela Harlem said:
Sue, I posted some links in here a while ago which I found when my cat Abby took off one night. I had very little hope of her returning, but thanks to some tips on this website and perseverence, she did return. Skinnier, but returned.

Have a good look through this site. It's a great resource.
http://www.sonic.net/~pauline/sit.html

Good luck to everyone with lost or sick kitties.
:hug:

Thanks Angela H. I've done alot of this so far, (Monday) with the exception of sitting for any length of time. I don't want the neighbors to call the cops on me. Although one neighbor thinks she saw her Monday night, I checked with the people that were home - at lunch today but they havent seen her.
Last night was so rainy/ cold and 60 + mile an hour winds at one point.
I've already talked to alot of the neighbors and I'm going to post pics as soon as I get them, by Friday I hope.
Had to cancel her spaying appointment for tomorrow. ack!! Crazy cat, putting me through all this. I'm not giving up, I'll keep looking, :heart:

Of all things, there was this huge dog sitting on the door mat this morning. Seriously - nearly a big as a Saint Bernard. Blew my mind when I left for work. No idea where he came from or where he went. He ate Bela's trail of food however. Which is ok, I had plenty. Poor baby..he looked so cold and sad. :sad:

Hi Sicy.. Thanks indra and glad to hear Bellas doing some
better U2F4E :wave:
Thats a cute pic MsPurrl.. :wink:

If the weather is bad she's probably hiding somewhere :(
Hopefully she'll come home soon.

I have pics finally. Only 2 came out. (cheap camera) but it shows her foot and her.
I dreamed last night she was at the front door and had a kitten with her. I got up to go look outside, but she wasn't there.

I'm doing something wrong. I'll be back.

didn't have all the addy..
something still isn't right.. *sigh*

Hey Sicy,
I'm sending you the addy's. Would you see if you can get them to post..
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.???

Last edited:
Snapfish sucks these days, that's what's wrong.

I uploaded them to photobucket. And now I want to cry because I'm actually seeing her after all this time and I'm really really sad and pray that you can find her.

bela.jpg

bela2.jpg

Sicy said:
Snapfish sucks these days, that's what's wrong.

I uploaded them to photobucket. And now I want to cry because I'm actually seeing her after all this time and I'm really really sad and pray that you can find her.

I know, everytime I roll over or wake up at night, I get up to go check if she's outside the door. That's why I feel so strongly that someone has her inside somewhere. She knows the area very well and has come and gone many a time. Unless someone picked her up and took her somewhere else - she would be able to get back too me.
Thanks for posting those Sicy.

edited to say: lol I'm getting distracted, trying to eat lunch and talk to co-workers. I'm getting out of here for a little while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom