Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I drank a little too much beer tonight while grilling on the porch with my earbuds on.

There are multiple moments in this album that are sheer transcendence. I haven't had that completely gobsmacked look on my face while listening to U2 since Zooropa.

And multiple times I laughed out loud at the brilliance of it.

I hope this thing catches fire this time around because they deserve it...

Clearly I've been away from Interference for awhile (and on Facebook too much). I keep looking for the "like" button.

Sent from my SM-G900T using U2 Interference mobile app

California. .. :drool:

Sent from my SM-G900T using U2 Interference mobile app

The more people shit on this album the better. That means they went in a different and unexpected direction and pissed some people off. "We don't need them"

I really do hope the release Songs of Experience. Everyone here knows I'm as big a skeptic as they come, and I never for a second expected Songs of Ascent, but I really want this one and I think it will happen. Either as a surprise companion to the physical release of SOE in October, or perhaps as a holiday release. No matter what though, I want it, and I want to hear those songs.

I think it will happen. This isn't like Bono's off-the-cuff "Songs of Ascent" interview with Rolling Stone. This album release campaign obviously has a lot of thought and planning put into it, and I don't think it's a happy accident that Bono's comments about a second album were posted on the official site just hours after the first album hit. It definitely sounds like there's a real plan involved here.

I'll admit I had almost written U2 off. I thought they were done. We'll see how the next few weeks go, but it looks like we're witnessing a comeback of almost Achtung Baby proportions.

Me too, but Miracle's a grower.

Miracle is surprising good song. Fresh, confident, nice chorus. Invisible is very nice too.
But Miracle brings something new to the table. And as THIS album opener, sets the mood nicely. Not U2 by the numbers, as Invisible is.

If they want this album to take off they need to release Iris as a single immediately. It's brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I recommend listening to this album at high volume on headphones in the darkness it will allow you to focus on nothing but the music.

First album that to me doesn't sound like it was produced too loud for quite some time.

Still the record for the most part reminds me of early U2 - the first 4 albums but performed by 4 mature men :)

I personally am quite happy they've put the politics, religion and pet causes on the shelf on this album as well.

I think it will happen. This isn't like Bono's off-the-cuff "Songs of Ascent" interview with Rolling Stone. This album release campaign obviously has a lot of thought and planning put into it, and I don't think it's a happy accident that Bono's comments about a second album were posted on the official site just hours after the first album hit. It definitely sounds like there's a real plan involved here.

I'll admit I had almost written U2 off. I thought they were done. We'll see how the next few weeks go, but it looks like we're witnessing a comeback of almost Achtung Baby proportions.

I am curious as to what he meant about the Apple collaboration and the 'things to come', so to speak. An app? Videos for every song? Interaction of some sort? Will be interesting to see, regardless.

I've had this album on repeat since it was released (literally), and it only gets better. It's phenomenal. It's emotional and engaging, and sonically huge.

So I drank a little too much beer tonight while grilling on the porch with my earbuds on.

There are multiple moments in this album that are sheer transcendence. I haven't had that completely gobsmacked look on my face while listening to U2 since Zooropa.

And multiple times I laughed out loud at the brilliance of it.

I hope this thing catches fire this time around because they deserve it...

First listen was a family listen. On my 3rd solo listen and yeah. I'm gobsmacked, grinning, and in tears all at once. They got it right.

This is where I'm really glad I was patient, didn't throw mega fits, and just WAITED. It is SOOO worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Okay, so I really like this album. My opinion of it has kept rising through the day.

I played it at work and ended up in tears at my desk. This album is so much better than I thought it would be.

I wonder what the critics are going to write up about the album

Usually bands as big as U2 get more positive reviews from Rolling Stone and less positive from Pitchfork. Yet I'm hopeful the sound of this album and how it grows on people will get uniform positive reviews. If this is just the beginning of a double album I think it's stellar compared to other double albums. The Radiohead forums were negative in a funny way but they can go finger their a-holes as far as I'm concerned.

Someone said earlier in the day that upon first listen, many of the songs sounded the same and hard to tell apart. I kind of agreed. But after a handful of listens, I think you're able to really differentiate the sounds and the melodies. It's a great album, and like others have said, has only grown on me with each listen.

Usually bands as big as U2 get more positive reviews from Rolling Stone and less positive from Pitchfork. Yet I'm hopeful the sound of this album and how it grows on people will get uniform positive reviews. If this is just the beginning of a double album I think it's stellar compared to other double albums. The Radiohead forums were negative in a funny way but they can go finger their a-holes as far as I'm concerned.

Radiohead sucks anyways

Okay, so I really like this album. My opinion of it has kept rising through the day.

The internet seems to agree with you. Glancing through multiple online professional reviews and "first listens", the reaction seems to be overwhelmingly positive. Lots of 4 star reviews, a couple 5's. Lowest I've seen is 3 stars from The Guardian.

Somebody should post a poll for favorite track on Songs of Innocence - I would be interested to see the early reactions/results.

I was driving home, a 3 hour drive when my phone exploded. Found the next exit to download, in Bakersfield. Went to McDonalds on Merle Haggard drive but only was able to get the first 4 songs. Loved Miracle, New EBW and Song for Someone at first listen. Got to work and downloaded the rest. The Troubles blew me away. It was perfect and hearing Lykke Li's vocal, was the cherry on top. It's my favorite thing they have done in years, maybe since Kite. The rest of the album was fantastic, especially the back half. Danger Mouse did everything I thought he would and more.

Lastly, it's been a rough month, my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, and this album came at just the right time. I teared up at Song for Someone which hadn't happened since Kite, released as my dad fought leukemia. I love this band.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom