Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So uh.. now if we could only hear:

Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles (Alternative version) and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)

They leave us wanting more.

I want another album next year. Keep releasing U2!

Good lord, Bono sounds amazing on this album. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, that falsetto is maybe his best since Zooropa.

The Miracle sounds like the only "single" on the album. This album is a good album but time will tell is the public thinks it is a great album.

Sounds like very early U2 with a more mature tone. I enjoyed the record on the first listen - the punk of U2 is back.

I wouldnt call anything on the record revolutionary though - but a good solid record.

I have a feeling they're going to follow this album up quickly. Hopefully with equally strong material as what we got today.

Finished it.

First impressions are that it's a good record. I like the vibe. Clearly U2 Phase 4 (for however long it lasts). This is a departure. It's definitely a more even record than NLOTH...though while it lacks that record's outright clunkers, there's also no high on here like MOS. It's also quite polished, and while I can definitely hear the influence of different producers, it sounds relatively cohesive. There's no smash, breakthrough, game changing single here, IMO. They can forget that.

Will there be a difference when the CD comes out in October? Additional tracks? Alternate mixes? A deluxe edition? What does it say about the band that they're giving all their music away for free these days?

We can argue and dissect what all this means for U2 tomorrow. For today, it's great to have new music again.

It's definitely going to take some extra listens...which is good. The great U2 albums were WTF moment when you go through it the first time. I have crappy headphones on right now, so can't wait to listen with proper ones.

But yes, doesn't seem to be that giant U2 song....which maybe was on purpose...cause in the past they seemed to want that SONG so bad, that maybe they overreach, or overproduced.

Everything on this sounds very professional.

heeeeeeeeeeeelp meee!!!! Cannot listen on iphone. I see 'purchased' but cannot click on it!!!!! PLEEEEAASe
i was having this same problem on itunes and finally got it to work. this is what i did to kinda "force" it to download everything, despite being signed in.

- go to the album page in itunes (sounds like you're already there)
- select the "copy link" link (under the drop-down box) and open it in your web browser
- then click "view in itunes"
- for a brief moment it'll display free rather than purchased. hurry up and click it (you might have to verify your payment method) and it'll download.

it's a pain in the ass, but it forced the download when clicking "check for available downloads" did nothing.

for all y'all having trouble only being able to access snippets, try logging out, then clicking on the album, then the "free" tab, then logging in again, and it should download and be available, that's what I had to do.

At one moment on stage Bono said that they recorded albums and will release THEM now. At that moment I thought that we will really get more than one album ?
But this is great as well...good times

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

I just finished it.

I'm done. This is excellent. Absolutely fantastic. I am so happy. The only song not clicking for me after first listen is The Miracle, literally the only one (shame it happens to be the first single, then, but whatever).

Apart from The Miracle I didn't actually glimpse at anything before listening. I didn't know how many songs there were, how long they were, and apart from one or two I accidentally noticed I didn't even know the name of the songs. I'm still not sure about some of the songs' names!

Obviously first reaction is always slightly exaggerated in one or the other direction, but I don't care. One thing I know, however, is that I notice my dislike very quickly, and apart from some concerns with The Miracle (doesn't that chorus feel a bit...jarring with the, pretty nice, verse?) I'm only pleased with what I'm hearing. The last song (is it what people are calling "The Troubles"? I love not knowing!) is my favourite so far, but obviously I'll have to listen some more.

This feels like the final U2 album. It might not be that way, and I don't want it to end, but if it does I'm glad it's such a cracker of an album they end on! :heart:

Is it just me or does this sound like a farewell album?

That's been my fear for a long time, the constant last second decisions (even more than usual) the thematic look-back and touches of earlier sounds from the band just reminded me too much of R.E.M.'s Collapse Into Now. But now the thematic look back seems firmly about the band discovering its love for music and its expressive power, this almost sounds more like a restated mission statement. Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic for once, and still rather excited from all this.

Finished it.

First impressions are that it's a good record. Clearly U2 Phase 4 (for however long it lasts). This is a departure. It's definitely a more even record than NLOTH...though while it lacks that record's outright clunkers, there's also no high on here like MOS. It's also quite polished, and while I can definitely hear the influence of different producers, it sounds relatively cohesive.

Will there be a difference when the CD comes out in October? Additional tracks? Alternate mixes? A deluxe edition? What does it say about the band that they're giving all their music away for free these days?

We can argue and dissect what all this means for U2 tomorrow. For today, it's great to have new music again.

On October 13th the physical release of Songs of Innocence comes with a 24-page booklet. A deluxe, gatefold double album (White vinyl), contains an acoustic session of songs from the album and four additional tracks: Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles (Alternative version) and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)

I think this will be the last album unfortunately but hopefully I am wrong. It just takes them too long to release material these days.

The one thing I can say about this record is I can tell it was not produced by Eno or Lanios and that is a good thing, they have tended to over produce things in the last few records.

I expect this album will grow on people over time - do I hear any classics like Beautiful Day here....hard to say.

Apple might not be able to keep celebrity selfies private, but they did an amazing job of keeping this a secret. Wow.

ok. this album is good, I like it cause I like U2. However this is a bumper album, with that, I mean this is not a definitive final product and not even close to the ''next big thing'' name one of this songs that can get air play and remain in the lists for a while. this was for marketing purposes in first place, to fulfill record company commitments and to backup the apple party. my favorite is ''sleep like a baby tonite'':heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom